Rydale Rumble

Comments

• Cheers for the info Ash. Should be hoping to get away for 8. Gonna be another long, painful, hot and extremely enjoyable day :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Looks like it will be hot and humid with the chance of a shower. Great !. I hope to see some of you there. I am the old guy on the Trek Madone 5.2 wearing a black Conti top going rather too slowly up the hills.
    Have a good one all.
  • AcademicX
    AcademicX Posts: 152
    Brutal, absolutely brutal.........
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    AcademicX wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Lots of good club riders seemed to knock the long one on the head and opted for the 88-miler.
  • HarryB
    AcademicX wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Lots of good club riders seemed to knock the long one on the head and opted for the 88-miler.
  • HarryB wrote:
    AcademicX wrote:

I made the mistake of continuing to Lealholme. Had to abandon at the feed station. Blakey in that heat really took it out of me and I was starting to feel pretty rough. Couldn't face anything to eat at the feed station itself and decided not to carry on.

Was a bit disappointed but there was no way i'd have made it past Rosedale Chimney let alone back to Gilling.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    AcademicX wrote:

Agree it was certainly a long hot day in the saddle. But I got round the long course , missing out on gold by 2mins 15 secs. But if I'm honest I was just pleased to get round in those conditions. I'd climbed the main climbs before in the recce ride, but the extra miles of the full rumble and todays heat made it a day to remember for pain and suffering . I got up all the climbs without putting a foot down which was my main aim at the start of the ride.Boltby, blakey and rosedale chimney are all massively hard climbs , but all the smaller climbs and sharp little clicks seem to drain the energy fro your body and turn your legs to quivering wrecks as well. got to say well done to everyone who took part in the ride and a big thankyou to everyone who helped to put the ride on. A great event all round
  • HarryB
    Shocked, bad luck on that but you've made me feel better about my effort. I suffered with cramp from Rosedale on and was a bit disappointed with my time of just under nine hours.

Ash, that's a brilliant effort.

Can I ask how old you are?

The climb out of Egton Bridge was worse than the chimney for my money. Went on for effing miles
  • bobh
    bobh Posts: 163
    Well done to everyone who got round on the hottest day of the year. The North York Moors is so difficult to predict and for sure when the sun blazes down there's no hiding place on the likes of Blakey Bank.

It was also a grueller for Team BC Yorkshire, a full day of similar weather on the Saturday, routing and touting and then a before daybreak to 9.00pm shift on the Sunday. No doubt a few wrecked bodies all round today. So a big thanks to all those volunteers and also to the staff at Ampleforth College none of whom are bikies but who came as unpaid volunteers to the National Championships in June and have been working on this event since then clearing the route through the woods before putting in a full weekend with us on the logistics crew.

A thank you also to the prats who think it's fun to take down five signs and then route them the wrong way through Nunnington. Hope it didn't cause too many headaches before we got to them, pity we only got to the signs.

It's been a tough year for us so far two major sportives and a National Road Race Championships in a seven week period and the old bones are starting to creak. What's clear is that if we are going to carry on in this way we need to widen our core group of logistical volunteers. So if you want us to continue putting on events llike this please put the word around we need more volunteers. If anyone is interested please contact me on bobhowden@grasscrete.com

Thanks
    Bob Howden
  • monty.d
    monty.d Posts: 12
    Hi guys, first a word to the organisers Well Done another outstanding event thankyou. Had a rough day yesterday started off well till the sun came out at bolty then it all started goin wrong (i cant stand the heat) got to Blakey Bank just wanted to climb off and die, by the second feed station my mind was playing tricks on me i new sun stroke had set, got to the second ford after Egton Bridge and sat down in the stream , my mind started to clear a bit so got back on, lost about 20mins but didnt care anymore, got goin as the sun went in. started feeling better managed the chimney ok then got the hammer down, rode the last 8 miles with a puncture i knew if i stopped to fix it i wouldnt be able to start again. Got gold 7.27. ive phoned in sick today theres blood in my pee and keep throwing up. Would i do it again?................Dam Right i Would :lol:
  • campagsarge
    campagsarge Posts: 434
    Yes, thank you to all the organisers and volunteers making it such a great day out.

Boltby Bank opened up the lungs a bit although the descent afterwards to the ford was a bit scary - gravel all over the place on a very narrow road.

I really suffered on that drag out over the Moors from Helmsley but rode through it. Until Blakey Bank that is! I succumbed to it half way up - it was a complete brute. I really enjoyed the descent into Hutton-Le-Hole though.

The scenery was absolutely stunning and helped soften the suffering. :lol:

I ended up clocking a time a shade over 6 hours for the medium route but my day was made by meeting other riders before, during and after.
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    On a personal level I have to admit to suffering badly on this ride due to lack of training and over indulging whilst on holiday. The weather was excellent and when I arrived at the bottom of Blakey Bank I couldnt believe how hot it was. Trying to climb the first few hundred yards was an effort just to get air in but I found the higher I went it got slightly better. Opted for route 2 at the top as I reckoned attempting the Chimney etc could have been very bad for my health so it appears that I have unfinished business for next year with the Rumble. I have to thank Captain Fagor for dragging me back the last 10 miles.
    I have finished most of the big Sportives in the UK and always held the FWC as the number 1 sportive but I now put the Rumble alongside the FWC for difficulty as it has some of the steepest climbs I have ever ridden.

After doing the White Rose I ddnt think it was possible for the organisation to be up to the same level but sure enough all the helpers were excellent and the event arrangements were top drawer. I was amazed at the 1st feedstop when one of the woman asked if I would like some sun tan lotion !!! Now thats good service. A big thank you to all who helped and keep up the good work.
  • bigcod
    bigcod Posts: 26
    Did the full route and took over 11 hours :oops: for me and mate (big lad in black with tri-bars).

I have to say it was physically the hardest thing I've done in my life.

So hot, I was really worried for my health going over the moors back to stape.
    My mate ending up jumping in every stream we saw to cool off. My cycle comp had me down for 8hrs of riding , meaning we spent 3 hours resting , sat in streams and pushing up hills .

I know what to expect next time.

Thanks to the marshalls for hanging at each check point and seeing us back to HQ.
  • HarryB wrote:
    The climb out of Egton Bridge was worse than the chimney for my money. Went on for effing miles

That top leg of the ride is under-estimated.....be thankful that the fords were not impassable, the re-route for that eventuality was the even harder Egton to Rosedale direct route including a 1 in 3 climb....a true body breaker.... :shock:

As part of the team running the event on the weekend, I take my hat off to those who rode......a tough ride(in my opinion tougher than WRC) made tougher by the hot day.....respect is due.... 8)
  • YorkshireVeloBoy
    YorkshireVeloBoy Posts: 2
    edited July 2008
    bigcod wrote:
    Thanks to the marshalls for hanging at each check point and seeing us back to HQ.

No worries fella, I was driving one of the cars follwing you in -
    you looked so sorry for yourself on the Chimney, but also looked so pleased with your own efforts when I saw you cross the finish line..... :)
  • peebeds
    peebeds Posts: 5
    Just wanted to say a big thanks to the organisers for the ride yesterday. Myself and a pal set out to do the full route, but changed our minds after Blakey Bank. DAMN it was like an oven on there, Ive never suffered so much. Managed to finsih in 5hrs 18 for the middle ride, which was without too much hard effort on the *ahem* flat sections. Next year we will go for a sub 5. Im not even going to entertain trying the full ride......

Just one comment for the organisers. The marshalling, organisation, marking out and the course, if fact the whole thing, was superbly organised. I rode the "Best Sportive in the UK" last year, The Dragon Ride, and the Ryedale Rumble put it to shame. The course was way WAY harder and whilst I dont think that necessarily makes for a better event, the level of organisation does and yesterday, it was fantastic. 1st class. Well done to Bob and his team.
  • campagsarge
    campagsarge Posts: 434
    bigcod wrote:
    Did the full route and took over 11 hours :oops: for me and mate (big lad in black with tri-bars).

Where you two from Whitby? I chatted to a big lad in back with tri-bars just after the Boltby Bank climb. He was behind me on the descent to the first ford. From what I could hear, he was loving the descent rather more than me!

I was wearing a red jersey.

Congrats on your ride and I am pleased to hear you got round in one piece. How is your mate?
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I said Nunnington and Hovingham would be the killers after we did the recci ride . Didn't realise it would be my Gold that was killed. I was in bottom gear cramping up, they just took for ever. Worst part was from the second feed station, the miles between 70 and 80 were hell on earth, out in the open, full sun long climbs and every one passing and leaving me. Felt better in the 10 leading up to Rosedale as I caught those who'd passed me and I rode The Chimney :lol: Still well pleased with 7:52.

Many thanks Bob and all the organisers, a great memorable day out
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • John C.
    Just checked the results I came 27th . Now i'm really chuffed :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• John C.
    Oops :oops: Only looks like haf the results are out :oops:
    Still chuffed with 7:52

• bobh
    Hi Folks

Thanks for the great comments....made up by them.

Trying to get the results to you ASAP, but the keys seem to be stuck in the back door of the website with only Rumble 1 loaded. You can however view them all at www.sportident.co.uk until we can fix the problem.

Once again a big thanks

Bob
  • poucher
    poucher Posts: 102
    I did this yesterday, has to rate as the hardest sportive I've done this year by a long way :x

Blakey bank was hell on earth and so hot! I was shot by the time i got to it, seemed to have spent the previous 30 miles just climbing! and the legs just turned to jelly half way up!

Made a big mistake with the energy bars as well, I normally cut them into pieces and put them in a plastic bag in my back pocket so I can just help myself while riding, this normally works well for me, but 2 factors screwed it up yesterday.
    One was using a chocolate coated powerbar, and the other was the heat, it just turned into a melted gooey lump and the first time I put my hand in it...yuk!! chocolate fingers all over the bars :evil:
    I took the bag out at Hutton le hole and it looked as though someone had took a "dump" in it :roll:

Big respect to the guys that managed to ride those banks, perhaps if I'd been the right side of Fifty I'd have made them ok
    I vowed yesterday "Never again", but I suppose I've got till next year to change my mind ( and fit a triple!!! )

Cheers,

Poucher :wink:
  • John C.
    Well done Ash you beet me by 5 minutes, I was gutted to miss Gold by 7 minutes, 2 minutes I'd have bee suicidal :lol:

• greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    After cutting my sportive teeth on a few 'soft' southern rides (Highclere Caste, etc) I decided to head up north with the family to try out a toughie - and boy, in terms of pain and anguish it didn't disappoint!

Perhaps it was the long drive from London the day before, but I knew I was in for a 'jour sans' when I couldn't force down my usual breakfast pasta...and sure enough I suffered like a bastard all the way round.

The two Banks were simply out of my league - at 6'6" and close to 90 kilos I'm not built for slopes like that - my heart rate monitor was still banging away at 160 as I was walking up Blakey Bank!! However, give me a long, slow slog of 5-8% and I'm your man - I actually enjoyed the steady ride to the top of the moors and even overtook a few folk.

As we were staying at Kirkymoorside I was so close to abandoning at the top of Blakey Bank and rolling the short distance home, but the fantastic descent to the second feed station and the realisation that I'd have driven 400+ miles for basically nothing if I did that kept me going to the finish, and I'm glad I did. At 7hrs and 15 odd minutes I was probably dead last of the Rumble 2 riders, but that's not really the point, is it?

A superbly well organised event, and it's left me in no doubt exactly where I stand after one year back in the saddle following a long break - far from the finished article!!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Well done to both Ash and John for the times posted. That was kinda what I was aiming for but clearly didn't have it in me. Although after cleaning my bike today I discovered my rear brake doesn't release properly after you've been pulling the lever, so maybe I have an excuse :lol:

Even though I only got roughly half way round, i'd have to say I felt the route was much tougher than the WRC, especially considering I didn't even get near the Chimney. The weather didn't help either, as it was extremely stuffy going through Bransdale/Farndale, and then Blakey Bank hit's you. There was a long line of people walking up the hill when I got there and I think I only didn't walk myself was because of the encouragement given.

Once again though, excellently organised, and i'll definitely be back next year, hopefully with a little bit more preparation under my belt too.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    HarryB wrote:

Ash, that's a brilliant effort.

Can I ask how old you are?

I'll be 40 tomorrow Harry... So happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me.......haha.

john C : well done on your time mate, and yeh I was a bit gutted to get so close to gold and fail , but am well chuffed with a silver anyway. I was dreading the chimney and it made my day to get up it ok. One bloke next to me was riding up with a 42 chainring!!!! Big respect to him, I had a 30 chainring with a 27 sprocket.

Been looking at the times some people posted. Think there must be a few supermen in amongst that lot. How people can ride that in under 7 hours is way beyond me. I tiake my cap off to them and bow gracefully.
  • Set of early yesterday to get as much done before the sun came out to bake us. Reached Boltby Bank with ease and prepared myself for the first onslaught of the day - not forgetting to smile - Derek was ready with his camera. Shortly after the photo session needed to walk a bit until it flattened before the hairpin. The next few miles were pleasent except for that silly descent to the stream - just as well the Rumble wasn't on the 13th July the Ford would have been much deeper. Reached the 1st feed at Helmsley to the welcome sight of water and bananas.
    After a 10 minute rest set of up Bransdale - by now I'm beginning to feel a touch hot but pressed on towards Gillimoor were some locals were offering water - my thoughts were 'I have plenty'. After the descent from Gillamoor a long never ending climb to above Farndale with no shade and no breeze; reached Low Mill and then the steady ascent whilst being able to see the climb that lay ahead - 20% and seemingly never ending. On a cooler day I would have climbed this comfortably but not this time. After I rode through Church Houses I was feeling "roasted" - my computer recorded 32°C whilst moving and by the time I reached the top of the Blakey Ridge I felt like I had been cooked like my steak the night before.
    So although I entered for the long route I opted for a bail out and headed downhill for Hutton-le-Hole and the third feed station. At the start of the ascent on the road south I had cramp in both legs and had this vision of arriving at Hutton-le Hole and collapsing in a heap from the pain but thankfully arrived ready for a very long drink.
    From there it was just a mere flatish 18 miles to the finish. The climbs of Nunnington and Hovingham seemed gentle although some seemed to struggle.

Overall the route was well signposted and feed stations were well stocked with bananas and water and the usual selection energy bars - Helmsley even had shortcake though on this occasion I gave that a miss - liquid was my priority.

For all I suffered this year I will be back even though this is really in my local area - hopefully we will have cooler conditions next year.

Reading other comments this event has gained a reputation to surpass the FWC.
  • Mark RRC
    Mark RRC Posts: 2
    Well done to all who rode that route, It sounded like hell!!
    I drove down from Richmond to see if i could get a ride, as i was unable to commit my self to the saturday.
    I asked in HQ if there was any spare places? NO was the answer, no spare dibbers!
    OK never mind i thought, you live in hope!!
    Then, all not lost, the lad next to me said " no poblem my mates not riding you can have his
    just change the name" great i thought, got my hand on my money to pay. But NO came the answer from across the table " I would need to change th name on the computer"
    So that was it, Drove home thinkng of all you lucky poeple.
    Never mind, As i said before i know i was living in hope, But i do think the system could have been a little bit flexable!!!!!
    WELL DONE TO ALL
  • bobh
    Dear Mark RRC

Sorry we couldn't be flexible enough for you and also sorry that I didn't get the chance to explain on what was a fairly hectic morning.

With both the WRC and the Rumble we have a number of Key Performance Indicators that when grouped together gives us the sort of promotion that we are all looking for. For the Registration the KPI is zero queues. At the WRC we just about go there with 6 staff covering 1000 riders. For the Rumble only 384 riders but only 2 staff Mr & Mrs Yours Truly! To get near the KPI we pre-packed the numbers with laminated Route cards (6 hours to prepare) and meal cards (4 hours) all to avoid a log jam. This can only work if you can cut down on queries and in particular "on the day" entries, rider substitutions etc. Just as a 1 minute hold up on a motorway can give you a 1 mile tail back. For us having to change the signing on sheet and re-issue route cards etc can quickly cause a backlog particularly when a group appears. The other riders then get frustrated, try to take their own numbers often taking the wrong one and chaos takes over.

The second reason behind not changing on the day is altogether more serious; the Rumble is a serious challenge over some very demanding terrain. We need to have a structure in place that enables us to respond to lost riders and incidents that do happen! All of this can be derailed if we don't have the full details of the rider and a home or next of kin contact. I'd also have to say that if your decision to ride the Rumble is only taken the day before then it's the wrong one. This is the type of event that needs preparation and the right mindset. To enable you to plan this we gave 7 months to enter and only closed entries 7 days before the event. Leading up to this both our Website and this forum made clear our policy on late entries or rider substitution. So! we weren't trying to be Jobsworth's on the day we were just trying to get it all right for everyone to then enjoy the experience!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bobh wrote:
    Dear Mark RRC

Sorry we couldn't be flexible enough for you and also sorry that I didn't get the chance to explain on what was a fairly hectic morning.

With both the WRC and the Rumble we have a number of Key Performance Indicators that when grouped together gives us the sort of promotion that we are all looking for. For the Registration the KPI is zero queues. At the WRC we just about go there with 6 staff covering 1000 riders. For the Rumble only 384 riders but only 2 staff Mr & Mrs Yours Truly! To get near the KPI we pre-packed the numbers with laminated Route cards (6 hours to prepare) and meal cards (4 hours) all to avoid a log jam. This can only work if you can cut down on queries and in particular "on the day" entries, rider substitutions etc. Just as a 1 minute hold up on a motorway can give you a 1 mile tail back. For us having to change the signing on sheet and re-issue route cards etc can quickly cause a backlog particularly when a group appears. The other riders then get frustrated, try to take their own numbers often taking the wrong one and chaos takes over.

The second reason behind not changing on the day is altogether more serious; the Rumble is a serious challenge over some very demanding terrain. We need to have a structure in place that enables us to respond to lost riders and incidents that do happen! All of this can be derailed if we don't have the full details of the rider and a home or next of kin contact. I'd also have to say that if your decision to ride the Rumble is only taken the day before then it's the wrong one. This is the type of event that needs preparation and the right mindset. To enable you to plan this we gave 7 months to enter and only closed entries 7 days before the event. Leading up to this both our Website and this forum made clear our policy on late entries or rider substitution. So! we weren't trying to be Jobsworth's on the day we were just trying to get it all right for everyone to then enjoy the experience!

Whats the script for next year Bob?...are you maybe going to throw the RR out a wee bit to give you all more time to get things organised...the WRC in June and the RR in July is very close for organising...(and on a personal level I reckon the RR would get the true attention it properly deserves if out in August....)....I've got a small posse ready for the RR challenge next year....I think its now starting to grab folks attention...and deservedly so...the Challenge is near obscenely perfect in every aspect...lovely scenery...VERY quiet roads...and the most daunting of climbs....and has the CHIMNEY as the last very serious obstacle!..

Would love to have did it myself but as you know on Family Hols in Gran Canaria...took my bike...did the infamous Pico Nieves climb from Ingenio...in 30oC heat....1940meter climb in 23 kms or so...25% gradients...so I was with everyone else in spirit at least on the Rumble...

A wee shout for John.C and Ash68 and Shockedsoshocked....good stuff!