Boris....

13»

Comments

• Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    bringing things firmly back on topic........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7402133.stm

A few days into the job and Boris makes our public transport system and roads a little bit less safe.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    pliptrot wrote:
    We've had business friendly policies since 1979 and we now have an enormous national debt -we are pretty much reliant now on the largesse of East Asia so that they don't call in the IOUs and make the Uk destitute - the worst inequality in wealth since the 1950s (and worsening) and some kind of London-centric machine which allows us all to ignore the poverty in the rest of the UK (and in much of London). If the UK - as Labour (and the Tories before) would have us believe- has outpaced the rest of Europe, then why the hell do we have (including the millions on disability benefits, done only to disguise the truth) greater unemployment, cannot afford decent public services and have the worst health care system in the developed world? (with the notable exception of the US).

As for OffthebackAdam's comments on fair taxation - given that he has pretty much the same expectations on defense, health and so-on as Richard Branson, would he like the same tax bill? Of course not. Taxation needs to be progressive, so that the haves help the have-nots. To argue otherwise is to advocate anarchy. If you don't like the working time directive - then opt out. You can, and most employers quietly ask you to. I can understand the resentment about Europe - after all the Germans (the largest exporting nation in the world) are at home on Friday afternoons, happy in the knowledge that they are richer, more secure and have a better quality of life than than the Brits who hate the idea of good pension provision, decent health care and the like. Can't you hear the sound of angels weeping? As for council tax - the old folk in the big house have a choice - as the large family in the council house probably do not. Many people find themselves off-the-back in life through no fault of their own. A little egalitarian thinking makes the world a better place. We've had more than enough of me-first-and-to-hell-with-the-consequences.

Worse healthcare system in the developed world is highly debatable. Many very poor people do far better out of the NHS than they would do out of pretty much any other system.

Your statement on wealth inequality is also a bit misleading. Comparing the top and the bottom, yes, you're right, but if you exclude the very top your statement isn't right.

As for pension provision - note that the German system, to use your example is becoming less progressive while the British system is becoming more progressive.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Well the hornets are still buzzing.

Well with the biggest U turn in recent years in tax ,the real hard up are still out of pocket.
    STILL DARLING MAY HAVE JUST BOUGHT ENOUGH VOTES TO WIN THE NEXT BY ELECTION.
    The sooner this crowed get their P45's the better.

Piggies in the dirt the lot of em.
    bagpuss
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    bagpusscp wrote:
    Well the hornets are still buzzing.

Well with the biggest U turn in recent years in tax ,the real hard up are still out of pocket.
    STILL DARLING MAY HAVE JUST BOUGHT ENOUGH VOTES TO WIN THE NEXT BY ELECTION.
    The sooner this crowed get their P45's the better.

Piggies in the dirt the lot of em.

I like the idea of compensating people for tax increases and now the precedent has been established I hope it's rolled out more widely.

Gordon - can I please keep more of my money?
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    There'll be out next time round, no Teflon Tony to glad-hand the crowds, economy in the doldrums, prices up, taxes up, unemployment going up, only too happy to line their own nests.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    So the much maligned Boris decides to reduce the test to once a year. Okay then, how many tests (of any sort) did RedKen do of Mini-Cabs?
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    I reckon Gordon is going to be on the Gordon's this weekend.
    Might as well give him another kick.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udR7K8H-YCM
    bagpuss
  • Gavin Gilbert
    So the much maligned Boris decides to reduce the test to once a year. Okay then, how many tests (of any sort) did RedKen do of Mini-Cabs?

Gavin's Top Tips #108, 30 seconds on Google can prevent you from looking like an ill-informed twat:

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/transport/taxis-phv.jsp
  • TheBoyBilly
    Do you ever venture outside your front door Gav? Go on, take a chance - there's a real world out there. You never know, you might find some of Gordon's Discount Gold :wink:
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    boris johnson like his predessesor and all other politicians is full of shite if voting changed things they wouldnt let u vote only guaranteed thing from that lot is they get a heafty pay rise every year!!!!! :evil: oh and we mugs pay for it
    cheesy quaver
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Do you ever venture outside your front door Gav? Go on, take a chance - there's a real world out there. You never know, you might find some of Gordon's Discount Gold :wink:

:?:

another clueless Tory smokescreens whilst backing away. I've seen plenty of the Real World, and it looks nothing like what is described inside The London Evening Standard.

So BillyBoy, what do you think of ABdPJ's lastest wheeze of letting motorcycles into the bus lanes? Brilliant news for London's cyclists, isn't it?
  • TheBoyBilly
    Ah Gavin, I'm a motorcyclist too you see and can see the benefits. Not so much for those of us on larger bikes but for those who have to negotiate traffic on restricted 49cc scooters so perhaps there is scope for a compromise. I actually feel there is more danger to cyclists in bus lanes from...... buses! (and similar schemes seem to work in Bristol and other forward-thinking cities)
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Yes, as Boris is also a cyclist putting more traffic in the bus lanes makes perfect sense. That's wonderful forward thinking.
    :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • TheBoyBilly
    So far it seems to have been a success, that's all I'm saying. It's not much fun watching a young lady on her puny moped trying to dodge articulated lorries and WVM in heavy traffic. Perfect sense? Nothings perfect otherwise there'd be a different lane for every type of vehicle.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    overmars wrote:
    Yes, as Boris is also a cyclist putting more traffic in the bus lanes makes perfect sense. That's wonderful forward thinking.
    :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Let's keep things in perspective Overmars, whilst letting motorbikes into bus lanes is a retrograde step for us cyclists (the way bikies behave in ASL's points to that being bad news), Tory councils across London are removing bus lanes as they upset the private motorist..

Problem solved then.
  • overmars
    So far it seems to have been a success, that's all I'm saying. It's not much fun watching a young lady on her puny moped trying to dodge articulated lorries and WVM in heavy traffic. Perfect sense? Nothings perfect otherwise there'd be a different lane for every type of vehicle.

And it's not much fun watching a beginner wobbling. Having a faster vehicle flying past them doesn't help either.

Perfect? Perfect would be horse drawn buggies. Central London was simply not built for cars.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Ah Gavin, I'm a motorcyclist too you see and can see the benefits. Not so much for those of us on larger bikes but for those who have to negotiate traffic on restricted 49cc scooters so perhaps there is scope for a compromise. I actually feel there is more danger to cyclists in bus lanes from...... buses! (and similar schemes seem to work in Bristol and other forward-thinking cities)

This isn't Boris's idea though is it? the A10 (commerical road) into london has had bike on it for quite a while now and there's been no detrimental effects that I've seen. it can be a little unnerving to have a bike whizz past you closely if you don't have your wits about you, but no difference to a car really
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • overmars
    Result of a Evening Standard poll in todays paper.

Q: Is Boris Johnson right to allow motorcycles to use bus lanes?

Yes 39%
    No 61%
  • Gavin Gilbert
    overmars wrote:

Yes 39%
    No 61%

I'm tempted to take the view that nothing in the London Edition of the Daily Mail can be trusted, even a poll putting ABdPJ in a losing position.

On a happier note - I'm hosting a cheese & wine evening on the Circle Line from 8pm on the 1st June. Any takers? 8)
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    overmars wrote:
    Perfect would be horse drawn buggies
    At 4 Tonnes of shit/horse/year?
    Better watch where you're cycling/walking!
    3336432.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=4DAA13B573E1BD2F36A89BD338232DA1A55A1E4F32AD3138

I'd much prefer to have a motorbike pass me in a bus lane than a bendybus!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • overmars
    I'd much prefer to have a motorbike pass me in a bus lane than a bendybus!

Really? I'd prefer a cyclist (preferably female). But hey, that's me.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    On a happier note - I'm hosting a cheese & wine evening on the Circle Line from 8pm on the 1st June. Any takers? 8)

It's scum like you Boris is looking to remove from our pleasant tube system... oh wait
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • overmars
    overmars wrote:

Yes 39%
    No 61%

I'm tempted to take the view that nothing in the London Edition of the Daily Mail can be trusted, even a poll putting ABdPJ in a losing position.

The Evening Standard are not happy with the goings on of that party. They're blaming it on Ken.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Somebody far more clever than I once said something like "The opposition don't win elections, governments lose them". It's the same here. Boris got in because they knew who he was and they didn't want Red Ken any more - I agree with them. Time for a change, he'd been there too long. I think that Boris will be fine, he'll be on best behaviour and will get things done. Hopefully he'll cut down on wasteful spending as any good conservative 'should'. He is a bit of of a loose cannon though, I must admitt. Then again I live in Lancashire and don't really care if I'm honest, especially as london doesn't care about any problems up here. Good luck London.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.