Sore palms

Pekka
Pekka Posts: 119
I am not sure that this is the correct forum, so please forgive me if it isn't. I have started to suffer from soreness of the palms in the area below the thumbs towards the bottom of the the palm. I ride a Jake the Snake cyclo with drops and wear gloves. Any suggested causes or cures?

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pekka wrote:
    I am not sure that this is the correct forum, so please forgive me if it isn't. I have started to suffer from soreness of the palms in the area below the thumbs towards the bottom of the the palm. I ride a Jake the Snake cyclo with drops and wear gloves. Any suggested causes or cures?

Not a whole lot to go on since I can't see you or your bike.
    Are you using your hands to hold your upper body up in position on the bike or
    can you take your hands off the bars without losing your position on the bike or
    having to hold yourself up with your back? Reason I ask is that some people have their
    seat sloping toward the front of the bike . This causes you to slide forward on the seat
    causing you to have to push against the bars to keep yourself in the saddle. Can cause hand problems from too much pressure. You need to "sit" on your seat, not hold yourself on it. The front of most seats should be at least level, or slightly up, from the rear.
    Also, the more you have to lean over to get to the bars the more your seat may need
    to be moved toward the rear to help balance your body weight(keep the seat level, or up
    slightly in front). Try this. Stand on the floor and bend at the waist. The more you bend
    the more you're ass moves rearward in order to maintain balance. It's pretty much the
    same on a bike. The further you bend, the more the saddle, in theory, needs to move back.
    This is all within limits of course. Not being supported by the saddle can cause many hand
    problems. I think I posted an article by Keith Bontrager on this subject. Check my posts.

Dennis Noward