anyone in oxford?

oxfordian
oxfordian Posts: 196
Hi,

is anyone here from oxford, i want to join a cycling group - any suggestions?.

I am 23, reasonably fit and just getting into road cycling. If you see a young chap on a pompino with brown handlebars its me. I can also be seen sporting a horrific 'skeleton' jersey (seemed a good idea at the time).

I manage a ride most nights (only 1 -1.5 hours) and fit a spinning class in there as well. I do a route round otmoor, which is about 45km at roughly 31kmph average.

Thanks

Comments

• jrg1980
    jrg1980 Posts: 1
    Hi there OXFORDIAN,

I'm based in Oxford, just off the Cowley Road. I'm not part of a club either but am also looking to join.

Been road cycling for about 2 years but think joining a club would really help improve my cycling. I usually head out towards Brill on the weekends (some nice climbs) and do a loop thorugh Abingdon a couple of times during the week.

A couple of guys I work with are part of the tri club. Can't remember what nights they cycle but they sound like a good bunch.
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    What is the road club like? It seems amazingly inactive for such a large city. Almost none of its members seem to be active racers or even sportive riders.

http://www.oxfordcityrc.fsnet.co.uk/

Is it because they're all "testers" and so are too busy drinking tea out of chipped mugs and breeding ferrets to care about cycling in its normal forms?
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Oxford City is strongly active in the winter but their members tend to do their own thing in the summer mainly TTing I guess. There are other Oxford clubs like the University (OUCC) who are active mainly in term times, and also there is also Mid Oxon CRT and Oxonians who I know far less about, but both organise TTs and cyclocross around the Oxford/Oxfordshire area. All have websites if you google for them.
  • Claypole
    Claypole Posts: 20
    Not quite Oxford...

I've just moved to the area (Chipping Norton) and am also looking to hook up with a ride/club. I'm sure there are rides that go from Chipping Norton or nearby...

There's load of cyclists on the roads around here...