English Nationalism

13»

Comments

• ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    It's just in case they get lost so the foreign authorities know where to send the moronic bastards.
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by B</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smeggers</i>

I'm no anthropologist, but it always fascinates me the number of Brits going on holiday (in airports) wearing "England" branded clothing (football or otherwise)...

My latest theory is that its borne of insecurity of going somewhere foreign, almost like saying, "yeh, Im different, what you gonna do about it?"

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

On the other hand you also see a lot of English people wearing Brazil shirts (with no evident connection and no 'Brazil game' coming up anywhere) and plenty wearing clothing which is definitely 'American' or 'Italian' branded - either through its logo or the label.

I don't really like the wearing of sports kit as leisurewear but (and it's massive in the north-east) but I don't think it is intrinsically linked to nationalism - just what is thought of as fashionable at the moment. And in an era when many of the most high-profile celebs are sportsmen/women is it a surprise? By the same token why is that old geezer wearing a replica pro-shirt when wheezing up the hill - is he really sponsored by the US Postal Service?

Obviously yes, it is fashionable in areas like the North East etc. But I still think its disproportionally higher in holiday makers.

Its like, why do orthadox jews only seem to live in airports? (but thats a whole other area!)

<font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
    A baby elephant ran up the clock,
    The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by workers_united</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by workers_united</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    <i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>
    I see, you have now brought a new factor into it. I was basing it on the immigrant toilet cleaner getting standard toilet cleaner pay.
    They are doing jobs that UK people would rather not do, but they are not getting paid any less that UK people would. Do you see why it is not exploitation now? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I am saying that an immigrant worker should be paid the same amount for the same job, commensurate with his/her skills. I don't like the implication that all they are good for is cleaning toilets. That suggests an, at best, unfortunate attitude.

I haven't said the immigrant worker should be paid less, nor have I said all they are good for is cleaning toilets.

What I have said is that if they want to come and reap the benefits of getting better pay than in their own country for the same job (or even a lesser job) then why is that exploiting them?

You have made a big assumption that they are getting paid less in your narrow minded exploitation comment.
    You are the one who associated migrant workers with toilet cleaning which clearly demonstrates your mindset.

Demonstrates nothing of the sort. I personally see toilet cleaning as a job many people wouldn't want to do so felt it fitted in with the comment about jobs people in the UK don't want to do.

Why are you so keen to try and label me as someone I am not rather than answering the question of how an immigrant on fair UK pay scale is being exploited?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

Why are you so keen to try and label me as someone I am not rather than answering the question of how an immigrant on fair UK pay scale is being exploited?

The technique of labelling is used as a distraction so that a point doesn't have to be answered. For example:

"Joe's made a good point about x"
    "Oh him, he's the one who thinks immigrants are only fit to clean toilets."
  • Joe Sacco
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

The technique of labelling is used as a distraction so that a point doesn't have to be answered. For example:

"Joe's made a good point about x"
    "Oh him, he's the one who thinks immigrants are only fit to clean toilets."

Yes I realise that, which is why I am keen to ensure I am in the clear. I guess I shouldn't play with the troll.
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    Are you a troll 'workers united'?

You gave me an initial impression of being trollish on an earlier thread, but you also seem capable of rational moments which are not intended to provoke.

Honesty is the best policy.

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smeggers</i>
    Its like, why do orthadox jews only seem to live in airports? (but thats a whole other area!)

<i>You</i> only see them in airports, you mean. They live in rather close and closed communities subject to strict rules (which is what makes them orthodox). If you don't go to the areas in which they live, for example the Saltwell area of Gateshead, you won't see them otherwise.

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

That I got no cerebellum
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

<i>You</i> only see them in airports, you mean. They live in rather close and closed communities subject to strict rules (which is what makes them orthodox). If you don't go to the areas in which they live, for example the Saltwell area of Gateshead, you won't see them otherwise.

That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

Yep, thats what I mean. Obviously dont see to many in the leafy lanes of Cheshire! No anti-semitism intended.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smeggers</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

Yep, thats what I mean. Obviously dont see to many in the leafy lanes of Cheshire! No anti-semitism intended.

Llandudno has its own Jewish Society.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>
    Why are you so keen to try and label me as someone I am not rather than answering the question of how an immigrant on fair UK pay scale is being exploited? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I am not; you are labeling yourself and indulging in false syllogisms.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

Are you a troll 'workers united'?

You gave me an initial impression of being trollish on an earlier thread, but you also seem capable of rational moments which are not intended to provoke.

Honesty is the best policy.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oddly, I thought the same about you.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    No anti-semitism intended.

And no accusation from me! [:)]

That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

That I got no cerebellum
  • Joe Sacco

Why are you so keen to try and label me as someone I am not rather than answering the question of how an immigrant on fair UK pay scale is being exploited? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I am not; you are labeling yourself and indulging in false syllogisms.

Oh yes, of course I am. No more feeding from me mr united.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

No anti-semitism intended.

And no accusation from me! [:)]

That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

Smeggers was obviously worried that he'd be accused of having done something to ensure that there were no Jews in his neighbourhood. [:0]