Embankment - cycling tickets!

13»

Comments

• Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    Probably agree with that dondare.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

<font size="1">Most Sickening Car Advert 2007</font id="size1"> <font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/36nq2e</font id="size1">
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Yeah, those journos are always soooo right. Especially the Evening Standard which is the Daily Wail reject school. I probably know more about superstring theory than she knows about cycling

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    If their reporting on how cycling works is the same as their railway theories then they know **** all.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

<font size="1">Most Sickening Car Advert 2007</font id="size1"> <font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/36nq2e</font id="size1">
  • Regulator
    Regulator Posts: 417
    I seem to remember that 6 months or so ago, the Evening 'lack of journalistic Standards' was into berating cyclists. We were all evil, RLJing, pedestrian distressing thugs, who were a danger to all men. I remember one article, after a week of rants about RLJers, where an ES reporter went out with police who were doing a crackdown. The result: the police stopped 3 cyclists for RLJing - and 147 motorists!!

Since then, the ES has been somewhat more conciliatory in its tone towards cyclists. Still only worth using to wipe your arse, though.... [:D]

• tstegers
    tstegers Posts: 300
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Regulator</i>

I seem to remember that 6 months or so ago, the Evening 'lack of journalistic Standards' was into berating cyclists. We were all evil, RLJing, pedestrian distressing thugs, who were a danger to all men. I remember one article, after a week of rants about RLJers, where an ES reporter went out with police who were doing a crackdown. The result: the police stopped 3 cyclists for RLJing - and 147 motorists!!

Since then, the ES has been somewhat more conciliatory in its tone towards cyclists. Still only worth using to wipe your arse, though.... [:D]

They started reading the "Barbican" thread and saw the light. Or would that be sore as in rhino-sore-a*se if you were tempted to use the paper in the way described in your post.

They, The Standard, and probably the others, are all coming round. The notdaringone and all the others of his ilk who are apparently diminished by drivers incessantly complaining to them about RLJers, pavement riders and wrong way street merchants should be pleased. Clearly as cycling best practice becomes mainstream it will become accepted. Darenot and friends will cease to be picked upon.

Theo Stegers
    Theo Stegers
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    You are hideously deluded.

"da sapienti et addetur ei sapientia doce iustum et festinabit accipere."
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by halfords wizzkid</i>

i think that they should just concentrate on catching burglars, rapists, terrorists you name it but FFS leave the motorists and cyclists alone!!!

one thing to say to police is 'GET A FU<u></u>CKING LIFE YOU TW<u></u>ATS!!'

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241/ashh2_album/
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

now that's an excellent way to get a calm and reasoned aproach from the officer who's been sent down there to stand in the rain and dish out tickets......................

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    If anyone thinks that newspapers are for now and forever going to be championing the cause of cyclists then I think they have a nasty shock awaiting them. It strikes me as flavour of the month stuff and soon will be consigned to the sub-editors dustbin. If this isn't the case then I'll be delighted, but then this is an industry that has spawned William Randolph Hearst, Rupert Murdoch and Peirs Morgan amongst others, so I doubt it.

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    I agree the Standard's current cycling kick is pretty useless so far as the words and pictures are concerned. OTOH:

1. Newspapers write what their readers want to see. Bearing in mind the increase in cycling in London recently, this may have influenced their editorial policy. More readers = more adverts = more income.
    2. However naff the Standard's coverage may be, at least it's brought the existence of cyclists (and the fact that they may have real problems with London's drivers and roads) to the attention of the Great Unwashed. There will always be some poeople who think cycling in London is suicidal even when the velorution comes and cyclists are the only private vehicles on the road, but most Standard readers have brains of some sort or other, not to mention friends and relations who cycle.

<font size="1">*** Have you got rock salmon?
    No, but we've got soul ***</font id="size1">

Typos corrected
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dsoutar</i>

If anyone thinks that newspapers are for now and forever going to be championing the cause of cyclists then I think they have a nasty shock awaiting them. It strikes me as flavour of the month stuff and soon will be consigned to the sub-editors dustbin. If this isn't the case then I'll be delighted, but then this is an industry that has spawned William Randolph Hearst, Rupert Murdoch and Peirs Morgan amongst others, so I doubt it.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font face="Verdana"></font id="Verdana">

Well we will be probably be able to rely on darenot and his chums contiunuing to raise the RLJ thing at least once a month thereby to enjoy the subtle and not so subtle pleasures of sanctimony. By this means we can keep the media refreshed and appraised of the latest thinking on best practice and advanced cycle craft.

Theo Stegers
    Theo Stegers
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    That's Dondare you pusillanim<b>o</b>us little turd.

This post contains traces of nuts.
  • tstegers
    tstegers Posts: 300
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

That's Dondare you pusillanim<b>o</b>us little turd.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<font face="Verdana"></font id="Verdana">

Darenot please don't go all pusi* on
    me again...

Theo Stegers
    Theo Stegers