Embankment - cycling tickets!

Comments

• ChrisKH
    ChrisKH Posts: 1,717
    Two police cyclists out on Bishopsgate today. Chasing a motorcyclist and a cyclist who jumped a red (just as they were changing)at the London Wall intersection. I hope they went for the the motorcyclist but as we know the cyclist is slower and a softer target. The cyclist should have known better, not least because unlike the motorcyclist she can't outrun the traffic about to run into her from the left.

Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
    Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
  • rgisme
    rgisme Posts: 1,598
    Has anyone ever outrun a bike cop, or are they like the Mounties, and 'always get their man' [:)] ? I thought - I seem to remember reading it somewhere - that although it seems they do it, that they weren't actually authorised to give chase in the kind of way that the motorised versions do using their 'blues and twos' to exceed the limit, jump lights and violate all the other traffic rules that apply to mere mortals.. except other cyclists [}:)]? But that could have been misinformation, or perhaps it depends on the force. I would have thought the weight of the bikes and equipment they have to carry would be a bit of a handicap though...
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Well the ones I see in the CoL are on big heavily laden mountain bikes and don't exactly look like they ride for Liquigas. I think they may struggle to keep up somehow, not that I would try to outrun them of course!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Weed vaporizer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    you sure dom[:D]?

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    Don, do you still have your front and rear reflectors fitted as well

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • The Endorser
    The Endorser Posts: 191
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rgisme</i>

Has anyone ever outrun a bike cop, or are they like the Mounties, and 'always get their man' [:)] ? I thought - I seem to remember reading it somewhere - that although it seems they do it, that they weren't actually authorised to give chase in the kind of way that the motorised versions do using their 'blues and twos' to exceed the limit, jump lights and violate all the other traffic rules that apply to mere mortals.. except other cyclists [}:)]? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It varies from farce to farce, dependent on local policy.

We pursue, but our own H & S is paramaount, so RLJ etc in order to do so is frowned upon. Some get away, but many get caught - i've had the odd moped and mini moto over the years. It's quite a rush!

<i><b>Eating baby elephants since 1969</b></i>
    <i><b>Commute - you might even enjoy it!</b></i>
  • joebe
    joebe Posts: 333
    I still think I should have tried to outrun that police horse on the Mall............. [:I]

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <i><b><font size="3"><font color="violet">
    pink is the new black</font id="violet">
    </i></b></font id="size3">
    <font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>
    pink is the new black
    Doris hanging out by the river
  • Can't horses run at up to about 45mph? Or have I got my animal totally wrong!

I would really to see a mounted police officer chasing a cyclist, with blues and twos on the horse!

neeee-naaaaaaw clippety-clippety neee-naaaaaaaw clippety-cloppety neeee-naaaaaaaw

That would be great [:D]

• cupofteacp
    I think horse can get to around 38 / 40 mph, I don't think you'd out run him in a sprint, if you turn suddenly then I'd imagine the horse would have a real problem.

Your only real chance is to extend the race, a man in Wales bet horse over a 22 mile course running.

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    They should nick RLJers as everyone knows they are wronguns.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

<font size="1">Most Sickening Car Advert 2007</font id="size1"> <font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/36nq2e</font id="size1">
  • "neeee-naaaaaaw clippety-clippety neee-naaaaaaaw clippety-cloppety neeee-naaaaaaaw" - LMAO at that !!!!

Reminds me - "What goes clip clop clip clop bang bang clip clop clip clop?"

An Amish Drive-by shooting...

You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me.

You\'re just jealous because the voices are talking to me.
  • Hackbike 6
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

<font size="1">Most Sickening Car Advert 2007</font id="size1"> <font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/36nq2e</font id="size1">
  • domtyler
    edited February 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cupoftea</i>

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Is this aimed at me? If so I have no idea why you are asking about reflectors but if you look at the bike in my profile you will not see any reflectors of any kind.

@Hackers - Please stop spamming the forum with your anti-RLJ drivel it is mighty tedious for everyone, thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    E12
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • LBS only have to sell bikes with reflectors, police can't pull for this if you have taken them off!! They only pull you if you happen to be riding in the dark with no lights!!

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241/ashh2_album/
  • cupofteacp
    Domtyler I'm not having a go, it's a requirement to have a rear reflectors on your bike in much the same way you need pedal reflectors.

Maybe the police should start, stopping people who's bikes arn't fit for the road.

http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cycli ... he_law.php

LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR BIKES
    The main law for bikes is currently BS6102, probably soon to be superseded by new CEN standards, but this is for retail use only ie bikes must meet those minimum standards at the point of sale.
    Bikes ridden at night need front and rear lights, flashing or steady.

At night a bicycle must also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85).

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    My bike has a rear reflector integral with a permanently attached rear lamp. It does not have a front reflector or pedal reflectors.

"da sapienti et addetur ei sapientia doce iustum et festinabit accipere."
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • The Endorser
    The Endorser Posts: 191
    I've got the pre read for my mountain bike course at work -front, rear, pedals and wheels are the loctions for reflectors if a bike is to be commercially sold (th BS approved rflectors and locations), but only the rear and pedals are required to use on the road. same way that con & use doesn't require cars to have front reflectors, i guess.

Thinking about it, i'm not sure my work bike has pedal reflectors, and my usual off roader has none at all. My commuter has one on the rear and the wheel, as well as 3 rear lights and front light. Sensible if you don't wanna die!

<i><b>Eating baby elephants since 1969</b></i>
    <i><b>Commute - you might even enjoy it!</b></i>
  • Hackbike 6
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cupoftea</i>

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness

Is this aimed at me? If so I have no idea why you are asking about reflectors but if you look at the bike in my profile you will not see any reflectors of any kind.

@Hackers - Please stop spamming the forum with your anti-RLJ drivel it is mighty tedious for everyone, thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

<font size="2">Why shouldn't I be able to say just because you don't like it.

If people didn't constantly flout the rules then I wouldn't say it.

RLJing is mighty tedious as well.</font id="size2">

<font color="blue">
    <font color="blue">

• andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Oh! Goodie!

Yet another RLJ, I'm a law abiding citizen thread. Honest, I promise that when the new Highway Code comes in I will always wear a helmet (hyperlink sponsored by some helmet maker) and HiViz clothing (hyperlink sponsored by Dork, Inc) and pedal reflectors (not sure who will sponsor this one since there aren't any) and will always ride around the edge of roundabouts (hyperlink sponsored by Acme Funeral Services) and will use cycle lanes where provided (hyperlink sponsored by Acme Funeral Services and The How to Vanish and Reappear Company Ltd).

On the other hand, none of the above ...

Next will be the Bike-Chip programme, to track our every move ...

I thought this is a cycle forum.

Welcome, those who empathise with Winston Smith. Cycling could be our last refuge.
  • dondare
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andrewc3142</i>

Oh! Goodie!

Yet another RLJ, I'm a law abiding citizen thread. Honest, I promise that when the new Highway Code comes in I will always wear a helmet (hyperlink sponsored by some helmet maker) and HiViz clothing (hyperlink sponsored by Dork, Inc) and pedal reflectors (not sure who will sponsor this one since there aren't any) and will always ride around the edge of roundabouts (hyperlink sponsored by Acme Funeral Services) and will use cycle lanes where provided (hyperlink sponsored by Acme Funeral Services and The How to Vanish and Reappear Company Ltd).

On the other hand, none of the above ...

Next will be the Bike-Chip programme, to track our every move ...

I thought this is a cycle forum.

Welcome, those who empathise with Winston Smith. Cycling could be our last refuge.

The Highway Code is not the law.

• Hackbike 6
    I only wear a helmet and hi-viz gear through personal choice.

I like wearing hats to cover my receding hair line [:I] so I prefer to wear a helmet.
    I prefer to wear hi-viz because I think it does serve a purpose.
    I haven't got pedal reflectors but when I have seen them from a car they do look good.Also reflectors are useful.Not every motorist has good eyesight you know.

<font color="blue">
    <font color="blue">

• joebe
    joebe Posts: 333
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jacomus-rides-Gen</i>

Can't horses run at up to about 45mph? Or have I got my animal totally wrong!

I would really to see a mounted police officer chasing a cyclist, with blues and twos on the horse!

neeee-naaaaaaw clippety-clippety neee-naaaaaaaw clippety-cloppety neeee-naaaaaaaw

That would be great [:D]

Save money buying sirens, it sounds like you could just put them on a donkey.

heeee-haaaaaaw clippety-clippety, 'ere I want a word with you' heee-haaaaaaaw clippety-cloppety 'ere I want a word with you' heeee-haaaaaaaw

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <i><b><font size="3"><font color="violet">
    pink is the new black</font id="violet">
    </i></b></font id="size3">
    <font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>
    pink is the new black
    Doris hanging out by the river
  • Can't be dealing with all this safety clothing lark, I dont wear a helmet or hi- viz clothing until the winter months come back!

It's all piled up in the back of the warbrobe at the moment.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241/ashh2_album/
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I did some more taunting of a RLJ yesterday, all the cabbies stopped next to me were wetting themselves.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

I did some more taunting of a RLJ yesterday, all the cabbies stopped next to me were wetting themselves.

<font size="1">My bikes

what did you say Mikey?
    <a>road</a>
  • domtyler
    edited March 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

<font size="1">My bikes

Yeah but were they laughing with you or at you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    LAMBORGHINI 350GTV SPECIFICATIONS
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    ...don't forget the motorcyclists and scooter riders sitting in RLJ. I had one bloke on a scooter almost purple with rage at the junction of Southwark Bridge after I'd had about a 2 minute rant at him. Caught him up at the next set of lights where he was in the ASL and had another go. Be amazed if he got home without having some sort of seizure.

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • Hackbike 6

<font size="1">My bikes

You are my hero.[:X]

<font color="blue">
    <font color="blue">

• tstegers
    tstegers Posts: 300
    From ddddddondare's favourite journal:"...In order to survive commuting in the capital, cyclists take dozens of calculated risks each day. It turns out that those of us who run red lights and cut corners are safer than cyclists who sit in traffic waiting their turn.
    Lorries turning left are frequent killers, and their victims are most often women. It is sobering to see how many of them turn left, across cyclie lanes, without indicating or looking..." Charlotte Ross, The Evening Standard 21 June 2007, page 12.

I think any copper stopping a cyclist for any infringement on The Embankment or elsewhere should be told...

Theo Stegers
    Theo Stegers
  • dondare
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tstegers</i>

From ddddddondare's favourite journal:"...In order to survive commuting in the capital, cyclists take dozens of calculated risks each day. It turns out that those of us who run red lights and cut corners are safer than cyclists who sit in traffic waiting their turn.
    Lorries turning left are frequent killers, and their victims are most often women. It is sobering to see how many of them turn left, across cyclie lanes, without indicating or looking..." Charlotte Ross, The Evening Standard 21 June 2007, page 12.

I think any copper stopping a cyclist for any infringement on The Embankment or elsewhere should be told...

Theo Stegers

The Evening Standard's cycling campaign is a complete travesty. They have no knowledge or experience to draw on, just a lot of guesses and opinions.