Paris-Roubaix

1235»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    There will be loads of feeds available from www.cyclingfans.com
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I wouldn't put much money on Farrar - regardless of his abilities as a rider, you need to be very familiar with the course, to know to move to the front as you enter each sector and then even choose the right lines through each sector - that's why there's always a full bore gallop particularly on the approach to the 4* and 5* sectors. The likes of Boonen and Cancellara have a big advantage and also the guys driving the team cars like Peeters for QS who probably would of won if he wasn't riding for Museeuw. Then of course you have the unpredictability of untimely crashes and punctures that can effectively take riders out of contention.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Looks like there'll be no earlier coverage on international Eurosport:

British Eurosport Schedule:
    13:30 (BST) CYCLING
    Live Cycling: Paris-Roubaix (165min)

International Eurosport Schedule:
    14:30 (CET) CYCLING

According to race schedule the Trouée d'Arenberg should be reached at:

14:20 (42 km/h)
    14:31 (40 km/h)
    14:43 (38 km/h)

so cutting it fine for live coverage on the box.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    andyp wrote:
    Cyclingnews rate the contenders;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/par ... -the-crown

As an aside, why do they perpetuate this 'Flecha can't sprint for toffee' myth? He used to be quite a handy sprinter, and won the Giro del Lazio in 2004 in a sprint from a bunch of 40 or so riders. It's not his sprinting that's seen him miss out on a monument win, that's been due to a lack of aggression, i.e. he waits too long before attacking and ends up racing for a minor placing.

I agree cancellara is not that interested in the win here... I suspect Boonen is wrecked in the head..hopefully he will see a chance and ride...

might be a year for a relative outsider
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    It takes a brave soul to bet against a Quick Step win. Teams managed by Leferve have won 10 of the past 15 editions of the race.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    For those of you who don't listen to Matt Rendell's podcast, he mentioned a couple of weeks ago that at the beginning of the season several Saxo Bank riders made fairly sizeable bets on Matti Breschel to win this race.

(I'm surpised they're allowed to, but there you go)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    RichN95 wrote:
    For those of you who don't listen to Matt Rendell's podcast, he mentioned a couple of weeks ago that at the beginning of the season several Saxo Bank riders made fairly sizeable bets on Matti Breschel to win this race.

i thought they weren't allowed..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • colomers
    colomers Posts: 23
    to Baselbob.
    do you come to see PR.
    If you want maps or informations ,i'll be in st vaast at 12h00,with my mountain bike,i have a blue and white jersey,(main sponsor CVELO.COM)
    Francis
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    "I was in top gear and flying over the cobbles, cutting every corner. Coppi gave me the blackest look and then accelerated. I was riding in a black tunnel just focusing on Coppi's wheel. Every time he looked back I tried to appear indifferent, but I don't think I was very convincing. Over and over Fausto accelerated. They weren't explosive jumps, more like fast increases in the tempo until everything was screaming inside me. Then I noticed that he wasn't going so fast, that even he, Fausto Coppi, had human limits."
    - Rik Van Steenbergen
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Bring on the cobbles!
    devolderroubaix.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Looks like there'll be no earlier coverage on international Eurosport:

British Eurosport Schedule:
    13:30 (BST) CYCLING

International Eurosport Schedule:
    14:30 (CET) CYCLING

According to race schedule the Trouée d'Arenberg should be reached at:

14:20 (42 km/h)
    14:31 (40 km/h)
    14:43 (38 km/h)

so cutting it fine for live coverage on the box.

France 2 start coverage an hour earlier. No way they are missing the d'Arenberg.
    So there should be a live net feed for you poor souls without France 2 on tv. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Bring on the cobbles!]

Nice to see a convenient change of avatar
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    RichN95 wrote:

i thought they weren't allowed..

Did he perhaps mean figurative bets? UCI rules are pretty clear:

"1.2.030 Anyone subject to the UCI regulations may not be involved directly or indirectly in the organisation of bets on cycling competitions, under penalty of a suspension of between 8 days and one year and/or a fine of 2000 to 200 000 Swiss francs."
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • frenchfighter
    Bring on the cobbles!]

I think he was likely the only one who could have followed Tornado and Goliath had he not been victim of the mechanical.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Bring on the cobbles!]

I think he was likely the only one who could have followed Tornado and Goliath had he not been victim of the mechanical.

What has he already shown? Winning Dwars door Vlaanderen? That's not comparable with de Ronde or Paris-Roubaix. Had had a little bad luck, sure, but I don't pitty him. Cancellara won't either.

*ahem*
  • frenchfighter
    One man's opinion. The legs tell the tale. I don't see him as a winner although I think he is up there. I don't pick the winner for this race or any other generally.

Flecha, 07
    image24.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    What has he already shown? Winning Dwars door Vlaanderen? That's not comparable with de Ronde or Paris-Roubaix. Had had a little bad luck, sure, but I don't pitty him. Cancellara won't either.

*ahem*

You are Roger de Vlaeminck and I claim my €5. :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    Are the muddy days gone...if this weeks weather is anything to go by, it looks like it is going to be hot and dry.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Can anyone explain the bike ridden by the guy at 30-35 secs in?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok5DktZV ... _embedded#
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Are the muddy days gone...if this weeks weather is anything to go by, it looks like it is going to be hot and dry.

Rain... mud. Sun... dust. Paris-Roubaix is a hard race whatever the weather. The year O'Grady won was even more brutal than a muddy version.
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks I am aware of that. I would like to see a wet and muddy race. That is all.

Mechanicals...Le Mond lost 2mins and Bauer 3mins waiting for help
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_onBx2ZSHA
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Btw, some of you may have seen this French documentary on P-R but if you haven't it is a good 50mins (in two parts)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9qre_ ... part_sport
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    That bike in the clip was a Bianchi with suspension ridden by Johan Museuuw. There was a lot of experimentation with suspension ideas from the MTB world in the early to mid 1990s. None of them proved successful and the success of Mapei, riding Colnago C40s, brought it to an end.

My particular favourite was the bike Steve Bauer rode around that time with a ridiculously laid back riding position.

bauer_93_roubaix.jpg
  • With the problems they had with crowds at the Carrefour de l'Arbe at last year's race has anyone heard of any changes that have been made by the organisers to avoid this?

Think this answers my question and may be of interest to anyone else thinking of heading to this part of the race.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/extra-s ... aix-sector

Just been out to the Carrefour and they weren't kidding when they said extra security. They had mounted police there! Not a camper van in sight. Wonder where they've all gone?
  • Is thor worth a punt at 14/1?

I successfully laid £2.50 on Ross County to beat Celtic today at 11/1 and I'm keen to reinvest my winnings!
  • andyp wrote:
    That bike in the clip was a Bianchi with suspension ridden by Johan Museuuw. There was a lot of experimentation with suspension ideas from the MTB world in the early to mid 1990s. None of them proved successful and the success of Mapei, riding Colnago C40s, brought it to an end.

When Museeuw's suspension bike finally broke his shoes were stuck in the pedals due to the mud, & a mechanic had to run forward & save him from falling off. In the end the mechanic had to give a sizeable sideways whack to the back of a shoe to get it unclipped!

The wet editions have an atmosphere all their own, I think.
  • colomers
    to see video of this great day(with cold wind)
    go to you tube and print pgs paris roubaix
    to day there is 2 videos,but there will come others next days

Francis
  • OK, some of my photos from Roubaix...

4518985908_caf0bc0f0f_o.jpg
    Fans go nuts at Arenberg

4518352611_2a8777678d_o.jpg
    Cozza at Arenberg

4518986462_e4133f346b_o.jpg
    Hoste trying to run me over at the Carrefour de l'Arbe

4518352999_7e6af98fdb_o.jpg
    Van Emden at the Carrefour de l'Arbe

4518986954_e416e0ecfd_o.jpg
    Klostergaard at Gruson
  • colomers
    hello
    very nice photos,the first one remember me David Hamilton design!!

Have a good day

Francis
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    OK, some of my photos from Roubaix...

4518985908_caf0bc0f0f_o.jpg
    Fans go nuts at Arenberg

The old boy's rocking a cracking pair of trainers
    Le Blaireau (1)