Paris-Roubaix

Comments

• Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Boonen has a greater chance in the Roubaix because the course is pretty flat. I can't see cancellara, or anyone for that matter, dropping him. :)
  • I would think that every man and his dog will be sitting on Cancellara's wheel this Sunday. Think he might be marked out like he was at Flanders in '07. Think Boonen is far from being beaten, he said he cramped on the Muur when Cancellara attacked. Think that's probably true as he looked like he was trying to bluff him by taking the lead. Maybe it will come down to who has the best team, QS or SB?

Or maybe someone else will sneal off the front. Maybe it will really be Hincapie's year?

Weather looks good for the weekend, sunny and max 13 deg. Can't wait, it's gonna be great :D
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    The PR reminds me of the Grand National, loads of hurdles and requires a lot of luck. It should be more interesting if the weather holds out. 8)
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Excuse my ignorance but how do you prounounce Roubaix ?

Splottboy wrote:
    I love the way they pronounce it ROO-BAY.
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Squaggles wrote:

Splottboy wrote:

PAREEEEEEEE ROUBAYYYYYYY :D
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    So it is pretty much 'Roo-Bay' then ?

Squaggles wrote:

Splottboy wrote:

PAREEEEEEEE ROUBAYYYYYYY :D
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Not sure how else you'd pronounce it?
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    has anyone got a link to the cse profile as would like a look before my ptp pick

cheers
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • has anyone got a link to the cse profile as would like a look before my ptp pick

cheers

http://www.letour.fr/2010/PRX/COURSE/fr/le_parcours.html different tabs to click there
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    has anyone got a link to the cse profile as would like a look before my ptp pick

cheers

Out of interest, how would that affect your pick?
  • cal_stewart
    tried there only last 1km.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    tried there only last 1km.

its effectively flat

the difficulty is the infamous pave

google fu the race on youtube or someit
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • cal_stewart

cheers

Its going to be harder for Can to drop Tom without a climb, also thinking farrar if Can and Tom mark each other out and there are more than the two of them left at the end.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

cheers

Its going to be harder for Can to drop Tom without a climb, also thinking farrar if Can and Tom mark each other out and there are more than the two of them left at the end.

The lack of hills in this race don't really matter. The pavé sections are every bit as selective as, say, the hills in the Tour of Flanders. Maybe even more so.

If there are more than two left at the end on Sunday, I will be surprised. Very surprised. Since I've been into cycling, the most I've seen arrive at the finish together is 4, the year Backstedt won.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    What is Farrar like on cobbles - he's always seemed a bit of a bottler and/or relatively poor bike handler in bunch sprints - doesn't get as many victories as his sheer speed should bring him.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • cal_stewart
    afx237vi wrote:

cheers

The lack of hills in this race don't really matter. The pavé sections are every bit as selective as, say, the hills in the Tour of Flanders. Maybe even more so.

If there are more than two left at the end on Sunday, I will be surprised. Very surprised. Since I've been into cycling, the most I've seen arrive at the finish together is 4, the year Backstedt won.

I understand about the pave. Its more to be with if Can is able to drop Tom as easily without the hills.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Here's the course profile for you:

======
    ===----===---====--======
    =======---==
    ====
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    RichN95 wrote:
    Here's the course profile for you:

======
    ===----===---====--======
    =======---==
    ====

Tee hee!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • rick_chasey
    What is Farrar like on cobbles - he's always seemed a bit of a bottler and/or relatively poor bike handler in bunch sprints - doesn't get as many victories as his sheer speed should bring him.

Won Scheldeprijs on Wednesday, 5th in de Ronde.

Then again, there are cobbles, and then there's Paris-Roubais pavé
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:

cheers

Roubaix is hard enough that usually a natural selection is made.

The O'Grady victory being the massive exception, but that was an odd race.
  • mididoctors
    I understand about the pave. Its more to be with if Can is able to drop Tom as easily without the hills.

no.... i don't think you do...

people let the wheels go on the pave

cancellara could have dropped tom boonen on the flat at flanders...

in fact he did drop boonen on the flat at E3 a week earlier

BUT that doesnt mean anything at Roubaix if his form is goiing

if it was a two man race on sunday with last weeks form, cancellara barring crashes and punctures would win...

it isnt
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited April 2010

true enough I guess..

still did a ride when he realised the win was on...Lars Michaelson missed out with that crash...it was odd how it all became neutralised behind because it wasn't the case of a dominant single tam al la QS

similar race to the year wilfred peeters was off the front but in that instance couldn't make it stick..

this year I think saxo are going to try and "stuey" Matti Breschel

Ballerini (edit) and tafi have been similarly "gifted" though in their case they were probably the (one of)strongest there
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

true enough I guess..

still did a ride when he realised the win was on...Lars Michaelson missed out with that crash...it was odd how it all became neutralised behind because it wasn't the case of a dominant single tam al la QS

similar race to the year wilfred peeters was off the front but in that instance couldn't make it stick..

Ballan and tafi have been similarly "gifted" though in their case they were probably the (one of)strongest there

Unless i have picked you up wrong Ballan didn't win Rouxbaix it was Flanders .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Since I've been into cycling, the most I've seen arrive at the finish together is 4, the year Backstedt won.

True. It was before my time but the finish to the 1990 version is interesting to watch on YouTube, absolutely fascinating.
  • mididoctors
    Moray Gub wrote:

true enough I guess..

Ballan and tafi have been similarly "gifted" though in their case they were probably the (one of)strongest there

Unless i have picked you up wrong Ballan didn't win Rouxbaix it was Flanders .

my stupid I meant Ballerini
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    The usual suspects in the usual places.
    First group selection will be at the D'Arenberg forest.
    Podium decided at the Carrefour de l'Arbre.

Spartacus can drop Boonan, there, or vise versa.

Farrar on cobbles? 2nd at Het Nieuwsblad/Volk.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    For the past 3 years Boonen's form has improved between Flanders and Roubaix, and Roubaix also lies better for Boonen than Flanders, so I wouldn't write him off as the bridesmade to Canc just yet.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Cyclingnews rate the contenders;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/par ... -the-crown

As an aside, why do they perpetuate this 'Flecha can't sprint for toffee' myth? He used to be quite a handy sprinter, and won the Giro del Lazio in 2004 in a sprint from a bunch of 40 or so riders. It's not his sprinting that's seen him miss out on a monument win, that's been due to a lack of aggression, i.e. he waits too long before attacking and ends up racing for a minor placing.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Anyone who knows anything about cycling knows Edval... I mean Peter Sagan is going to win.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    Can anyone recomend a website that will stream British Eurosport for free so I can watch this please?

Im still stuck in the dark ages unfortunately and only have 4 (yes not even Ch5) channels!!

Thanks