Scott Sunderland forum chat

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2007 in Pro race
Next Tuesday, April 17th, the Procycling forum will be featuring a 'live' chat with Team CSC directeur sportif Scott Sunderland. It will be an afternoon 4pm UK time (5pm Europe, 11am USA East, 8am USA West) session.

As we did last time, forum members will be able to pose questions to Scott, so if you're a guest lurker and want to participate, then please register. We'll do our best to have Scott answer all the questions, but bear in mind that this might not be possible.

---
Jeff Jones

European News Editor, Bike Online Project

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    First question for Scott;

How badly did the crash in the Amstel Gold race in 1998 affect your career?

Andy
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    How has pro racing changed since you retired?

Not that your old like me!!!

Brian.

www.braveheartfund.com
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    Hi Scott its great you doing this thanks.
    Have you high hopes for JJ Haedo in the Tour de France points competiton,or is it a bedding in season for him.Will we see him win a classic.
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    What does it feel like to see your team win Paris-Roubaix again?

How do you celebrate victories as a director?

Great job,

Brian.

www.braveheartfund.com
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Is there anything that you miss about racing?

<font size="1"><b><font color="red">I have pain!!!</font id="red"></b></font id="size1">
    I have pain!
  • auskadi
    auskadi Posts: 4
    Scotty

Congrats mate.

Martin H
  • vinocough
    vinocough Posts: 56
    Hello Scott is their any chance Team CSC will sell their range of casual clothes in the UK,without having to import them.
    Congratulations on taking another Paris-Roubaix the team must be well pleased,and are you expecting more classic wins this season.
    Thank You
  • Hi Andy,

It's a tough question. I was found having a 20% disability after the accident, and as you can imagine that's no small handicap for any athlete. It's not possible for me to say how badly it has affected my career really... I do know that it has greatly influenced my performances on the bike.It has affected my daily life, still does...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyp</i>

First question for Scott;

How badly did the crash in the Amstel Gold race in 1998 affect your career?

Andy
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
  • Hi Brian,

The biggest change must be the Pro Tour. Although there is still a lot of work to be done to make the concept really work, I think it's the best thing for the future of the sport.

And man, after the party last Sunday, I did feel old ;-)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianS</i>

How has pro racing changed since you retired?

Not that your old like me!!!

Brian.

www.braveheartfund.com
  • Hi Chris,

JJ hasn't done a season here in Europe before, so this year is a big learning experience for him. For now, his biggest task is to get used to the European races and peloton. In the Tour of Italy, we will expecting to see him up there rubbing shoulders with the other big sprinters. The Tour the France is far away as yet.... we''l see what happens; you just never know.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by campagchris</i>

Hi Scott its great you doing this thanks.
    Have you high hopes for JJ Haedo in the Tour de France points competiton,or is it a bedding in season for him.Will we see him win a classic.
  • It was an awesome experience. The energy started building up on Saturday already, and during the race, the excitement just grew as the finish got closer....
    Bjarne and I were confident that one of our boys would be on the podium on Sunday and the atmosphere in the car was just buzzing. It was a fantastic feeling.

As a director, I can have that extra glass of wine too!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianS</i>

What does it feel like to see your team win Paris-Roubaix again?

How do you celebrate victories as a director?

Great job,

Brian.

www.braveheartfund.com
  • No, not really Ivan.
    I'm still in the midst of it, I still go out on the bike training with the boys when I'm at the races. My coffee shop ride with my old training bunch is something I can still enjoy also.
    The buzz of helping a fellow team mate win a race off the bike is still as big as when I was helping them on the bike !

But, now I have the choice if I go out for a ride in the rain or not !

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ivancarlos</i>

Is there anything that you miss about racing?

<font size="1"><b><font color="red">I have pain!!!</font id="red"></b></font id="size1">
  • campagchris
    Scott has Carlos got a good chance for a tour victory this year. Thanks
  • Hi Vinocough,

All the Team CSC clothing is sold via the webshop only.
    Please check the team's site for anything you'd like.

Concerning more classic wins; I hope they are on a roll now and that next weekend we can celebrate again! E.g. Kroon, F.Schleck and Voigt are ready to get more top results over the coming weeks!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vinocough</i>

Hello Scott is their any chance Team CSC will sell their range of casual clothes in the UK,without having to import them.
    Congratulations on taking another Paris-Roubaix the team must be well pleased,and are you expecting more classic wins this season.
    Thank You
  • Echappee
    Echappee Posts: 79
    Excluding the Grand Tours, if you could only pick (as a rider)one race to win, what would it be and why?
  • I certainly think so. Carlos is working very hard towards the Tour de France, and the Tour of Spain after that. If everything goes well in the coming months, we expect Carlos to be ready.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by campagchris</i>

Scott has Carlos got a good chance for a tour victory this year. Thanks
  • Hey Echappee,

For me, the World Championships are the biggest one-day race there is to win. Why? Because you can wear that great jersey all year ;-)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Echappee</i>

Excluding the Grand Tours, if you could only pick (as a rider)one race to win, what would it be and why?
  • campagchris
    Scott,the Monte Zoncolan looks like a very hard climb in this years giro.Whats the hardest climb youv'e seen or been over,and whats the hairiest descent.What gears will the team use will you go to a triple for the zoncolan.Again thanks
  • Echappee
    Some directors continually bellow out of the team car at their riders during time trials while others keep to just time updates etc. Which method do you adopt?
  • I did that climb in the Giro 2003. It is probably one of the steepest climbs I have ever done. The first ten km are ok, the last three are very steep. I used the same gearing as most other riders, that was a 38/27.
    A triple is not likely, but using compact cranks yes, eg 36/25

Scott,the Monte Zoncolan looks like a very hard climb in this years giro.Whats the hardest climb youv'e seen or been over,and whats the hairiest descent.What gears will the team use will you go to a triple for the zoncolan.Again thanks
  • Depends on the rider. Some riders benefit from being yelled at ;-) it makes them dig deeper, others just find it very annoying.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Echappee</i>

Some directors continually bellow out of the team car at their riders during time trials while others keep to just time updates etc. Which method do you adopt?
  • campagchris
    Thanks very much and good luck for the rest of the season
  • bjorn
    bjorn Posts: 8
    Scott,

driving the team car usually looks crazy, squeezing by riders with millimeters to spare or making sure to not swerve while the team mechanic fixes the derailleur at 40 miles an hour. Is that something you practiced before your first race as a driver? Or is your career as a directeur sportif already over if you don't have the greatest driving skills?

Congrats on a great "Dust of the North" on Sunday!

bjorn
  • Hi Bjorn,

Spending 18 years in the pro peloton helps you to anticipate movements of other drivers and riders. Same thing with the press motorbikes which you have to keep an eye on. I did follow a private advanced drivers' course which was very helpfull. It is not easy.

In Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne I got a comment from the VIP who spent the day in the car with me. He was amazed on how well I know the size of my car, indeed millimetre work some times.

And yes, sometimes you do see one of the team cars without a left of right mirror after a race...

The riders' safety is priority. All team directors will make sure that a rider can pass, even if they have to bang up their own or another car to give him enough space.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bjorn</i>

Scott,

driving the team car usually looks crazy, squeezing by riders with millimeters to spare or making sure to not swerve while the team mechanic fixes the derailleur at 40 miles an hour. Is that something you practiced before your first race as a driver? Or is your career as a directeur sportif already over if you don't have the greatest driving skills?

Congrats on a great "Dust of the North" on Sunday!

bjorn

• vinocough
    vinocough Posts: 56
    Hello Scott,In hindsight was it a good Idea to let Ivan Basso go.
  • Echappee
    Did you see me on Sunday? Sector 25 Saint-Python & sector 7 Templeuve. I did wave...
  • There were a lot of things to take in consideration. Bjarne's main worry was the continuation of the team; with or without Ivan Basso.
    Team CSC and Riis Cycling employ more than 70 people. Something like what happened to Ivan before last years Tour, puts everybody's job in jeopardy. Bjarne made this decission knowing very well that Ivan might go on and win the Tour for another team. Hindsight hasn't come into it as yet; let's wait untill the Fuentes mess in Spain is totally cleaned up...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vinocough</i>

Hello Scott,In hindsight was it a good Idea to let Ivan Basso go.
  • If you were that sweaty person covered in dust, with a big smile on your face, then yes, I did see you.... along with 100.000 look-alikes.

Did you see me on Sunday? Sector 25 Saint-Python & sector 7 Templeuve. I did wave...
  • bjorn
    bjorn Posts: 8
    Thanks Scott, very impressive. Wish drivers here in the US would know the size of their car, but it's tough if your auto is so big that you need binoculars to see your right mirror...

Good luck for the rest of the season,

bjorn
  • Dear readers,
    Sorry but have to run now. If you have any more questions, feel free to post them. I'll try to answer them at a later time.

ciao
    Scott