Eurosport coverage

big-al
big-al Posts: 3
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
Though greatful that Eurosport cover most of the important races plus the UK pro series, I am interested in what viewers thought of the present comentaters, David Duffield, David Harmon.

Comments

• big-al
    big-al Posts: 3
    Sorry, I did mean COMMENTATORS!!!!
  • onions
    onions Posts: 4
    I don't know about the two mentioned, but sean Kelly sounds like he's got a sock in his mouth. Listening to the commentary of the Paris-Nice event was ear-squintingly painful.

Talented guy cycling-wise though[:D]

'If it doesn't hurt, you're doing it wrong!'
    \'If it doesn\'t hurt, you\'re doing it wrong!\'
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    I like David Harmon and Sean Kelly,but duffield is well past his sell by date.I can't listen to his commentary so turn the sound down,otherwise I'd punch the telly.
  • Spokepro
    Spokepro Posts: 1
    Please lose David Duffield, he is out of touch with the peloton, does not recognise teams let alone riders and during his last commentary session, missed a vital attack to describe to us his upset stomach of the night before.
    Nothing personal Dave[;)]
  • Jack Mac
    Jack Mac Posts: 1
    Yeah
    Sean Kelly's a little hard to decipher, but he's the one and only, so when he talks, I listen.He can read the race like no other.
    Mr Duffield is more like a commonfolk with an inside view of the sport, and is comical, so do'nt can him unless you can find the next Phil Ligget of a commentator sometime soon.

John D MacDonald
    John D MacDonald
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Duffield's a bit like Murray Walker, you need someone to call a tosser and make all us arm-chair commentators sound good!
    Kelly's worth his weight in gold, his Irish lilt may make decyphering a little hard, but he's not only been there, done that he's got quite a collection of pretty tee-shirts too! Knows what he's on about.

Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Matt Cox
    Matt Cox Posts: 2
    Duffield is definately past his sell by date though his enthusiasm is infectious, Kelly's straightforward, no-nonsense, accurate contributions are vital - his accent is a joy! David Harmon is excellent, easy on the ear, informed, articulate, passionate and keeps things ticking over nicely even during those long sometimes dreary 100k before things kick off towards the end. The guy I have real difficulty with is the chap who covers the British races, I simply can't listen to his mono-tone presentation, arghhhhhh!

Nice ride by Jens yesterday by the way, I hope that Jimmy Casper is OK after that nasty face plant on the Kemmelberg!
  • vinocough
    vinocough Posts: 56
    It took Duffield well over 5 mins to say O'Grady was the rider away in paris-roubaix,after waffling on about nothing as usual.Pleased Id printed a start sheet out to see who was in the chasing pack.
  • Stark.
    Stark. Posts: 108
    I listened to David Duffield commentating on Paris-Roubaix and frankly it was a painful experience. I lost count of the number of the times he talked about how gruelling the race is. And when he tried to equate the suffering of soldiers fighting in Flanders during World War One with the pain felt by the riders I winced with embarrassment.

I could have sworn that at the finish he even called the winner as Sean O'Kelly!

David Harmon though is quality and even the not so silver-tongued Irishman Kelly has improved a lot from his earlier days.

If Eurosport is intent on keeping Duffield, they should use him as someone who chips in, rather than as the main commentator. He's just not up to it.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Did you guys see Milan-San Remo this year on British Eurosport? Duffield was all alone, as Sean Kelly couldn't make his flight or something. He was all alone to get caught up in his inane comments and references while the race was happening. When Ricco and Gilbert went, he didn'Mt talk about them until after they got caught back! to think I have that race on my computer and I will for all eternity be damned to listen to that race with such horrendous commentary! his performance at Paris-Roubaix was also classic, not saying one single word about Stuey's attack for 7 minutes (I timed it) after it happened. He's useless. The commentary cut off for a while during Gent-Wevelgem and I was blessing the gods! It came back, though. Is there a contact e-mail for complaints about such things at Eurosport? I did a small search a found nothing.

I like Harmon, though. He's nice. Kelly is OK, kinda boring but has some good insights. I was pleasantly surprised by Jacky Durand on French Eurosport. For a guy that went on such weird escapes, he can read a race like no one.
  • Julspro
    Julspro Posts: 51
    I listened to Duffield and Kelly for the first time this past weekend - I am glad I am not the only one who thought it wasn't the best. I love Sean Kelly - but I would have liked him to say a little more. He just let Duffield talk the whole time. But, when Kelly talks - it is great insight.
    I do love my Liggett-Sherwin-Roll team though. Nothing more hilarious than listening to Bob Roll describe climbs.
    But hey, beggars can't be choosers. I was just happy to see live racing and be able to understand the commentators.
    I think Eddie Mercx should commentate - maybe Axel could join him next year, too. That would be some great insight.

Caribbean Soul
    Caribbean Soul
  • mwigby
    mwigby Posts: 5
    Duffers 'commentating' on the Prologue of the Dauphine really plumbed the depths!

How do I apply for his job?
  • campagchris
    Do what I do and print a start sheet out,and turn him off.
  • Echappee
    Echappee Posts: 79
    He's past his sell by date now. Last year, for the Tour, they had him in the studio in a pundit role which suits him best these days.

I cringe at the thought of the impression he gives non-cycling fans if they happen to stumble across Eurosport'c cycling coverage. *shudder*
  • drenkrom
    And he actually breaks into those "if you've just joined us and don't really know what's up with cycle racing, if you've been mowing the yard and come in or come back from the market on this glorious sunday afternoon, there's something I should explain to you who don't really know what this is all about..." things.

Like they're still listening after that...

Dissing Duffield. So easy yet so satisfying.
  • campagchris
    Hold onto your hats,Today's was "if you've been watering the dog"???? he seems to get in a tissy and cant spot riders as he didnt know haussler yesterday after 10 replays.Then he signs off today with au revoir bonjour sounded like del boy from fools n horses,only del boy is funny.I only caught the end of his commentary as just got in and didnt hit the mute switch quick enough.It must put any one channel hopping off surely as he never mentions the riders[:(!]

oh and who is Bradley Millar
  • drenkrom
    Bradley Millar is the guy guaranteed to win the London prologue, right?

Or is that David Wiggins?
  • Julspro
    Julspro Posts: 51
    lol!! That is hilarious.

Caribbean Soul
    Caribbean Soul
  • Kayt
    Kayt Posts: 17
    I think Mr Duffield made a mistake this afternoon. :?:

In response to a question about cyclists having to wear helmets on climbs, he answered to the effect that they used to allow cyclists to take off the helmets on the final climb. Surely the final climb (of any race) could well be less strenous than an earlier climb in the day. Wasn't it more to do with the percentage of the incline?

If Wigby does not succeed in getting Mr Duffield's job, then may I apply instead. :?:
  • kyffin
    kyffin Posts: 3
    I have to say I agree that David Harman is easy to listen to and knowledgable. Sean kelly not quite so easy to listen to but 'knows his biscuits'! A great team. Mr Duffield does tend to miss most of the action whilst waffling, but is quite comical. Can cope with him for the 10 minute studio programme, prior to the race. It's also nice to see Eurosport sticking to its schedule for the ToF. Does anyone else get annoyed when you turn on for cycling and it's either been moved,shortened or cancelled for something else! Keep up the good work Eurosport!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    drenkrom wrote:
    And he actually breaks into those "if you've just joined us and don't really know what's up with cycle racing, if you've been mowing the yard and come in or come back from the market on this glorious sunday afternoon, there's something I should explain to you who don't really know what this is all about..." things.

Like they're still listening after that...

Dissing Duffield. So easy yet so satisfying.

That actually helped me get into cycling. I'd put Eurosport on to watch some obscure match during the football World Cup (France 98) and there would be cycling on. David would say, and if you've just turned on to watch the football I'd like to give you a lesson on cycling......... I was hooked.

I'll be honest he does ramble, but you should listen to Test Match Special on R4, that is a ramblers dream. It's fantastic!!

I was talking to someone about the commentators the other day and they likened Sean Kelly to Ted off the fast show......

Dave to Sean "so Sean what's going through X's mind at this point of the stage?"
    Sean replies "well sir, I wouldn't know about that" :D

Who is the female commentator they have? She seems to know her stuff, and I was amazed at her knowledge of Belgian road building (and their laziness!) on Monday.
  • cyclinggirl
    cyclinggirl Posts: 196
    big-al wrote:
    Though greatful that Eurosport cover most of the important races plus the UK pro series, I am interested in what viewers thought of the present comentaters, David Duffield, David Harmon.

Sexy, sexy, sexy..........gorgeous voices :lol:
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Kayt wrote:
    I think Mr Duffield made a mistake this afternoon. :?:

In response to a question about cyclists having to wear helmets on climbs, he answered to the effect that they used to allow cyclists to take off the helmets on the final climb. Surely the final climb (of any race) could well be less strenous than an earlier climb in the day. Wasn't it more to do with the percentage of the incline?

If Wigby does not succeed in getting Mr Duffield's job, then may I apply instead. :?:
    No,Duffers is correct,the riders used to be able to take their helmets off at the foot of the final climb on a race/stage,IF the race finished at the top of the climb.The rational behind this was that going up the climb,if a rider fell,he wouldn't be going fast enough to need the helmet.
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    yey, eurosport have improved. :D
    they managed to get som cycling.
    sham it was motor cycling. th tour has just started 20 mins late with Brad in th lead :P :P
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Elskippy
    Elskippy Posts: 35
    I can;'t listen to Europsort. they give me the rage! Duffield is the cycling equivalent of Peter Alliss! (That one is for all you cycling AND golf fans!)
  • TomB1960
    TomB1960 Posts: 19
    'Duffers' is back in the studio in pundit mode for the Tour, yes he rambles, which I can put up with, but who on Eart advises him on what to wear, some of those jackets, and white socks..........
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    Sean Kelly does my bleedin' swede in at times!

Any question asked results in a relentless waffle that goes on FOREVER!.....I swear he breathes via osmosis coz I can't see where he's pausing for breath.

David Duffield may have his faults but what is apparent is that he is a proper fan who loves the sport and the tour......and I like the guy.

I'll get my coat....... :roll:
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Aperitif 51
    Aperitif 51 Posts: 181
    Every year I get the impression that the Eurosport Outside Broadcast 'van' contains a microphone inside a plastic bucket and the producer invites Sean Kelly to commentate into it... always he comes across as muffled, notwithstanding his accent - which I quite like...
    Also managed to accidentally see some (fit ladies) beach volleyball - lot of finger action going on behind the scenes there let me tell you!
    I also liked it when it was broadcast in French - ahh the good old days! :P
    106kg - kg361 255characters have read this so far...I believe
  • postman
    postman Posts: 120
    Watched this afternoon.What was Julian Clary doing giving advice on cycling sitting next to David.?Or did Mr Roche have too much eye liner on.