User feedback, Yeti, Blur, Orange 5

Gavin C
Gavin C Posts: 57
edited June 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
Demo'ed 2 of these (low spec Blur XT) and just about to demo a Yeti...both Orange and Blur felt nice fit but muddy conditions made a bit of a slog of it

Would be good to get owners 2 bob's worth in a quick soundbite ie
-Does it perform as expected?
-Do any mates have it and love it?
-Is it a bugger to climb on ...versus the enjoyment of downhill?
-Would you buy it again or do you have any regrets?

Thanks
G

Comments

• XT?? as in XT kit
    you mean XC or LT ??? as in the version of blur?

you can't compare the Orange 5 single pivot to the blur a VPP system...
    the Orange WILL bob on climbs but (IMO) will be more fun if you like feedback on the downs...
    My brother is selling his blur LT frame only to get a Nomad for the Alps decents he loves the Blur (previously had a heckler like mine). IMO i'm not a fan of the 575 it's flexy around the B/B. the Orange 5 is a great bike (also one for sale in the classifieds here for 650 for the frame) and my bro is also selling his blur lt frame on the classifieds.
    none are buggers to climb (ive ridden all 3 of these bikes)
    i like feedback so i like the single pivot designs of the heckler and orange 5's but the Blur LT is an excellent climber and good fun on the downs.. if your a climber/descender i recommend the Blur excellent at both, personally i can't recommend the 575 i didn't get on with it..
    the orange 5 isn't so goodon the climbs but IMO with the feedback makes up for it on the downs.

<center><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">Check my <font size="2"><b>NEW </b></font id="size2">Tried, Tested and Recommended kit
    Click here to see what items i am currently reviewing and testing
    My Full sus ride My Single Speed Full Sus Lower Wyre Car Park
    <b>WhatMB Forum Members Flickr Group. Please join up</b> My Flickr photo Album
    <hr noshade size="1"><b><font color="black">'try before you buy else prepair to cry!'</b> </font id="black"></font id="size1"></center>
  • majorbloodnock
    majorbloodnock Posts: 3,255
    OK, bear in mind that my Blur is from the last year before they split into a range of three ('05, IIRC), so it's slightly beefier than the Blur XC, but an inch less travel than the LT.

With that qualification, here's my two penn'orth as requested.
    <ul>
    <li>Yes, it does exactly what I wanted from it when I bought it, and continues to do so reliably.</li>
    <li>Yes; Mike59. Basically, whilst we were out on Holmbury Hill, with he on his Giant XTC (no slouch itself as a grand's worth of hardtail), he tried my bike out, and has now ended up buying a Blur XC and swapping the bits over.</li>
    <li>No. I cannot honestly think of any bike I've tried that has climbed quite as effectively. That was one of my priorities, given the lack of said in the rider.</li>
    <li>The fact they don't make my model any more makes this last question slightly more difficult. I'd buy another like a shot if I was a couple of stone lighter, since my preference would be for the XC. However, regrets I have none. What I have currently is in every way my perfect bike; it suits me completely.</li>
    </ul>

Semper in excretia; sumus solum profundum variat
  • Gavin C
    I meant low speced Blur LT
    Surprised at the flexyness mentioned re the Yeti as bumped into a very smiley biker at the Lookout the other day...he'd been going to test a sc heckler to upgrade from his previous heckler, but this had not been available....so he picked the Yeti for the day. Said it felt so firm rear end and was now considering this instead!....not seem to see any Yeti riders on this forum though
  • there are 2 riders here with 575's.
    the rear end is NOT stiffer than the heckler but it MAY be plusher giving a feeling of stiffness due to how plush it sucks up the hits.

i have ridden and played about on the 575 and i can tell you from experience that it IS flexier round the B/B than the heckler round the B/B.

our group rides the following amongst other things
    Heckler
    Blur LT
    yeti 575
    whyte 46 (used to have a wolf ridge myself)
    trance 4.2 (again i've ridden the reign)
    plus quite a few others..

<center><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">Check my <font size="2"><b>NEW </b></font id="size2">Tried, Tested and Recommended kit
    <hr noshade size="1"><b><font color="black">'try before you buy else prepair to cry!'</b> </font id="black"></font id="size1"></center>
  • Gavin C
    Thanks for you feedback Fozzy
    Do the other Yeti riders like the bikes or do they get a gleam in their eye when they get to swap bikes amongst your group?
    Really erring between Yeti (untested) and Blur LT currently...wasn't sure re the Orange...but that may have been because of the tractor types and low specced model I tested
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I found with that swapping the tyres (had 2.3 Conti Gravity's) to 2.1 Fire XC Pro's and swapping the stem to an 80mm one helped liven the Orange 5 up, turned it into a right point & shoot grin your face off kinda bike.

The basic spec is quite poor, but the frame is very worthy of hanging some top quality bling from it.

It climbs well, descends really well! Does everything it says on the tin!

Would buy another, no hesitation.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><center><font color="green"><i>Official Forum Potty Mouth 2007</i></font id="green"></center></font id="size1"><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><center><font color="violet">My Flickr Album, With <b>new</b> updated bike pics</font id="violet">
    <font color="green">Me & My Bikes</font id="green"> <font color="orange">Orange Bikes</font id="orange"> <font color="blue">Howies© </font id="blue"><font color="black">moredirt photo gallery</font id="black">
    <font color="purple">'05 C2C Pic's, </font id="purple"><font color="red"> Red Bull Soap Box Race </font id="red"><font color="black">&</font id="black"><font color="brown"> Snowboarding Pics</font id="brown"></center></font id="size1">
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Capt. Concussion
    Capt. Concussion Posts: 1,585
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy_B</i>

I found with that swapping the tyres (had 2.3 Conti Gravity's) to 2.1 Fire XC Pro's and swapping the stem to an 80mm one helped liven the Orange 5 up, turned it into a right point & shoot grin your face off kinda bike.

The basic spec is quite poor, but the frame is very worthy of hanging some top quality bling from it.

It climbs well, descends really well! Does everything it says on the tin!

Would buy another, no hesitation.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Agree with all of the above. It has to be said, though, that whilst some of the bits on the basic spec of the bike are poor, the Performance Pack and Hope Pack are both excellent value for money upgrades.

Derek.

(Where did that bloody tree come from??)

My Orange 5 Pro
    Derek.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin C</i>

Thanks for you feedback Fozzy
    Do the other Yeti riders like the bikes or do they get a gleam in their eye when they get to swap bikes amongst your group?
    Really erring between Yeti (untested) and Blur LT currently...wasn't sure re the Orange...but that may have been because of the tractor types and low specced model I tested

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Yeti owners are a odd bread...

they look good no denying that but owners always seam to be blinded by the fact it's a yeti.
    personally i think a orange 5 spanks a yeti for fun factor but a yeti looks better...

• Gavin C
    they're also a quiet breed....any other Yeti, Orange Or SC (Blur LT through to Superlight) out there to share their experience and views
  • Mad Splasherwmb
    Mad Splasherwmb Posts: 1,304
    Are they called Yetis because you hardly ever see them? Taxi for Splasher!

<font size="1">George
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <b><font color="blue">VeeTee</font id="blue"> <font color="black"> Maxi-Baby</font id="black"> <font color="green"> Scotty Boy</font id="green"> <font color="red">
    My Photos</font id="red">
    </b>
    Believe in your limitations and they shall be yours.</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">George
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <b><font color="blue">VeeTee</font id="blue"> <font color="black"> Maxi-Baby</font id="black"> <font color="green"> Scotty Boy</font id="green"> <font color="red">
    My Photos</font id="red">
    </b>
    Believe in your limitations and they shall be yours.</font id="size1">
  • majorbloodnock
    majorbloodnock Posts: 3,255
    Well, I don't ride one, 'cos otherwise I'd end up being an abominably slowman.

I'll split the fare with you, Splasher....

Semper in excretia; sumus solum profundum variat
  • Hi Gavin

Sorry this is a bit late - must have missed the topic.

Yes, as the Major says, I have had a Blur XC for about 7 weeks now. I took a while choosing (considered the Anthem and Trance), but I'm really pleased with what I bought. I nearly changed my mind to an LT, but having riden the XC for 200 miles or so, I am certain I made the right choice for me.

I've tweaked the set-up a bit (layback seatpost and longer stem), but every time I ride it it seems better than the time before. It is fairly light (13.5kg), and climbs very well, especially over the rooty, rocky sections.

I would recommend the Fox Float RP23 which I had as an upgrade with the frame. I use the pro-pedal/fully open switch all the time.

I have a black painted frame, however if I had the choice again, I would have gone for the anodised. Not a major issue with me though.

Mike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58583241@N00/
  • Gavin C
    Thanks Mike for the info
    The bike certainly looks great

Did you test the Superlight versus the Blur XC...and what made your mind up there?
    What made you go against the LT.......thats my current dilemna ie 4inch racier type (XC or Suplerlight) or more rugged type (LT)

Bye
    G
  • Gavin,

I did consider the Superlight, but went with the various pieces of advice I received from various sources (this forum, LBS etc) mainly with respect to the Superlight being a completely different ride to the VPP suspension bikes. I had riden the Major's Blur and liked it so much, that I was halfway there anyway!

I went against the LT mainly for weight. I also didn't think I would use all the travel available on the LT. I have found the XC great on long rides, and it's very chuckable and easy to control.

Bear in mind that I nearly bought an Anthem, which has 90mm on the back and 80mm on the front, so the Blur XC represented an increase in travel from my starting point.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the choosing.

Mike.

PS. Where are you based? If you're south-east-ish, then you're very welcome to have a go on my Blur.

• Gavin C
    Mike

Thanks for the offer...based within touching/ fumes distance of Heathrow.
    Planning to go for couple of test rides this weekend to choose between shorter travel (Blur XC, Suplerlight) versus longer travel (Blur LT, Orange 5)
    After that I may pick your brains
    What dealer did you use for santa cruz......would you recommend them...and almost as importantly were they susceptible to negotiations

Bye
    G
  • mik75
    mik75 Posts: 149
    Gavin

I would have thought all bike shops are willing to negotiate. Especially with the amount of money you are looking to spend and even more still if you are paying in full.

'Porridge is the weapon of choice'

Mik
    \'Porridge is the weapon of choice\'

Mik
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin C</i>
    [brWhat dealer did you use for santa cruz......would you recommend them...and almost as importantly were they susceptible to negotiations<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Gavin, I used Beyond Mountain Bikes at Cranleigh, and yes, I would recommend them without question. I think the Major would also support this.

It's worth having a go at negotiating, but they always seem to be very busy, so may not be able to offer much.

Cheers

Mike.

• grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Gavin C

If you want something that will climb very very fast like a mountain goat on crack and very good on the downs, have you tried the Scott MC 10 or 20 Carbon main frame and these are very fast for a
    5 inch bike Just remember to make it better on the Single track to buy a shorter stem

If you buy one make sure to remember sizing the bike up with the shorter stem
    As sizing is tricky.

A complete bike wheighs in at around 26.4 LBS
  • Ffluff
    Ffluff Posts: 282
    to qoute Foz, yes, Yeti owners are probably an odd breed, but no less fanatical than those out there who are passionate about the bikes they own and love.. i love my 575 but despite it being love at first sight, the path to where we are now has not been straightforward.. now i have it set up just so; its responsive, quick and as light as i think i could practically get it.. as i'm sure everyone will say, try before you buy, i did (titus/orange/marin et al )and now, have no regrets [;)]

only problem now is that having bust my collar bone going over the bars on saturday, all i can do is stare at the bikes.. [:(]

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • ohh Ffluff sorry to hear that m8.

glad my advice has helped and your starting to love riding the 575..

• Ffluff
    nitemare foz... i was on the giant and had just done 46 superb miles in prep for a 100k event next weekend..

paramedics, ambulance, morphine, the lot.. [B)]

am counting myself very lucky

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • hmmm morphine!!!!!!!!!!! [;)]

leaving for mending itself? or being fixed with a plate?

• Ffluff
    they patched me up on sat and i'm at the fracture clinic next week so i'm guessing it'll be healing naturally (fingers crossed)!

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ffluff</i>

only problem now is that having bust my collar bone going over the bars on saturday, all i can do is stare at the bikes.. [:(]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Bad news, mate. Noticed you are from this area - did you have the crash at Holmbury/Leith/Pitch? If so any particular trail?

Hope you recover soon, anyway.

Cheers

Mike.

• Ffluff
    Hi Mike.. cheers, yep, a complete nitemare! The off came at the end of a reigate hill to newlands corner ride, id done 46 miles and it happened 150m from the end... [:o)]

Jon

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ffluff</i>

The off came at the end of a reigate hill to newlands corner ride, id done 46 miles and it happened 150m from the end... [:o)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> [:(] That was unlucky! I know that area well, as most of my XC rides start from Newlands Corner (I live in Merrow, so it's only 15mins cycle to that point).

Were you coming along the NDW?

Mike.

• Ffluff
    yep, thats it Mike, had had a great ride too, fast ride over to nc where we met thre rest of the club riders, then a good pace back.. i can't tell you how frustrated i am.. really missing the bike already!

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • Gavin C
    Ffluff
    Sounds like you'll soon be on the mend with that attitude.....here's to a good recovery whilst we've got some good weather .......although I get the feeling that come rain or shine you'll be out there

Thanks for the recommendation on the Yeti....tried it and loved it........only problem is that I've also tried a Blur.....very different but great as well
    Now waiting for some feedback re timeframes and prices for both and I'll make a call then....
    note to self...must decide this week......but that'll be me for a few years again before such a extravagance
  • Ffluff
    hi gavin, since the crash my body clock is all over the place and i'm mkaing the most of my forum time.. that and the fact that for about an hour after the painkillers kick in, its like i'm on another planet [:p]

either way you're going to end up with a terrific bike, what will make it for you is the set up and that gut feeling you get when you try them out.. i've a mate who loves his blur to bits, but i just knew that the yeti was for me when i tried it out as i felt so comfortable on it.. as i said before, it did take several attempts to finally get it to where it is now and there were a couple of moments when i thought i'd got the wrong bike (ask Foz!!)

good luck mate, enjoy & let us know which one you go for [:)]

My Giant XTC 2005
    My Yeti 575
    Me & My Yeti
  • Gavin C
    Will do Ffluff
    Do you use your Yeti for the xc stuff as well...thats been part of my dilemna...looking for a do it all bike, good uphill and xc as well as enjoying the downhill

Guess the question is: understand the 'being passionate about your bike' but under which conditions does the passion fade away and you treacherously switch that love to another 2 wheeled wonder

Take care on the mend
    G