œ500 pound budget

2»

Comments

• Does the 2006 model have nasty gold stickers?

Giant XTC 3.5 for me.
    The Prince

'RIDE HARD, RIDE HARDTAIL'
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 2006 was silver and red I think, and had a red RS J3 fork. Was 579.99, so a good reduction is needed to make it worthwhile.
  • adamskib
    adamskib Posts: 53
    I love my Decathlon 8.2... the 8.1 is a top bike for the money.

I will be buying a full suspension bike soon and am Mightily tempted by the 9xc two sets of wheels and 11.5kg for £1600!!
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I saw the 9XC in Decathlon.It certainly is a mightly impressive spec for the money.Crossmax wheels,SRAM XO,RS SIDS. 8)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • trail jacker
    trail jacker Posts: 844
    what about the carrera banshee? its on sale at the moment too...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Its far from an XC or trail bike: its aimed at the budget gravity crew, a free ride bike that weighs a ton.
  • Ok I tried most of the main contenders again today at my LBS...

Giant XTC 4.5
    Trek 6000 Disc 07
    GT Avalanche 0.1 07

All £500 quid ish with discounts online but I cant decide what to buy..

Also, like the look of the Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc, the Scott Scale 70 and the Carrera Fury is still in the mix..

If it was your £500 nicker what would you go for and why?

Ta
    The Prince

'RIDE HARD, RIDE HARDTAIL'
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    They are all good bikes and I could make a case for each of them.It purely comes down to which fits you best,which suiIs your intended style of riding,what deal you can get,and if you still can't decide purelywhich looks the best! :lol: .

If you are going to being using the bike for racing the Trek,the Giant or Rockhopper have light frames and lower slung geometry.The XTC frame is very rigid for optimum power transfer,and the geometry is spot on for confident handling.It does make it more harsh and less comfortable for all day riding,though.

The GT is better for all day comfort,and all day trail riding.

I think the Rockhopper is ultimately the best bike out of your suggestions,as it has the best frame,a full Shimano drivetrain including cranks and bb,which will be longer lived than the ISIS bb,on some of the other bikes,decent brakes and the Tora forks but it would be over your budget,if you wanted the disc version(which I would reccomend),unless you wait another month or so,until the sales.Even then I doubt you will get one for less than £550.

You have to weigh against that,the fact that you could get the Fury or XTC for £400.The Fury has the better spec,especially the fork,but the XTC would be better for upgrading or if you want to go racing.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo