xt crankset, they are good aren't they?

whitedragon
whitedragon Posts: 54
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I emailed wiggle.co.uk about getting a new crankset with 48t and they recommended the:

Shimano XT M761 Hollowtech II Triple Chainset

So I thought I'd quickly check to see if there are any reviews, and here people talk about the chain jumping and teeth breaking:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Crankset/pr ... 0824.shtml

I was very surprised as I thought XT stuff was supposed to be good. Please could I have some opinions on this chainset as I put a lot of pressure on my pedals and the chain jumping has lead to very painful falls back to the saddle in the past.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing wrong with them. next up is XTR.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    Well that review has cirtainly put me off! Think i will pay the extra for a Race Face.

Andy.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    shame the race face keep coming lose if the chain line is not 100%.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyturner28</i>

Well that review has cirtainly put me off! Think i will pay the extra for a Race Face.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

But they fall off....

<hr noshade size="1"><font color="blue"><font size="1">:) README</font id="blue">
    [url=mailto:avisforwardedemails@gmail.com?subject=MBUK Moderation]E-mail me if you think i've moderated something wrong[/url]</font id="size1">(but don't change the subject or I won't get it)
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Not that Shimano cranksets get 10/10 in nearly every test they are in and have a huge fanbase...

I love mine anyway!

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • JinjaNinja
    JinjaNinja Posts: 1,033
    I've got the LX hollowtech 2 (stepdown from xt) I'm not that hard a rider but I do give it some now and again. The hollowtechs are such a smooth crankset, Very light due to the hollow BB too. The one thing is you will need to buy a shimano tool for removing the cranks and BB

<hr noshade size="1">
    "In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me. - Elwood P. Dowd
    logo.jpg
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I have the m760 (44tooth top ring) the chainrings have worn and it was new in january! But the crankset itself is really good, i was so surprised how light it was. I'm a big powerful rider and i haven't had any issues other than the wear which i am correcting with middleburn rings soon. Id buy them, they're great!

My bike

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • Big Red S
    In response to the original question, i'd go with LX. I got my XTs before the LXs came out, but had I had hte choice then i'd have gone for the LXs. They're not a lot heavier, and in return they're cheaper and the chainrings last longer.

<hr noshade size="1"><font color="blue"><font size="1">:) README</font id="blue">
    [url=mailto:avisforwardedemails@gmail.com?subject=MBUK Moderation]E-mail me if you think i've moderated something wrong[/url]</font id="size1">(but don't change the subject or I won't get it)
  • I currently have the Truvativ fiveD crankset and the reason for replacement is bent chainrings. If I just replaced those instead of the whole crankset, which would you recommend?

(I currently have a standard 44t topring but I want a 48t)

Thanks
  • andyturner28
    Can you buy the XT cranks and bb separately, so i could use Middleburn rings as suggested earlyer? I am a heavy rider and am hard on the gears, so i definately would be one of those suffering from rapidly worn rings with the Shimano offerings.

Andy.
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Sell the rings you get with the cranks on ebay. You should get a tenner or so for them.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Can I ask why you want a 48t crank?

<hr noshade size="1">Yes I Am A Tart
  • andyturner28
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andrew156</i>

Can I ask why you want a 48t crank?

Makes you go faster on the flat and downhill. I am now thinking of doing the same thing by getting the hone with a 48t big ring, or the 48t LX. The disadvantage of that though is increased grounding out off road. Decisions decisions.

Andy.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    When you consider that the majority of pro's only use a 44t top ring do you really think you need a 48?

• andyturner28
    There is no such thing as too fast. I ride on the road a lot and my lockal woods have a lot of fast flat bit's, so a bit more speed would be good. Anyway i am anything but a pro!

Andy.

P.S. Just noticed that review is for the plain vanila XT and not the hollowtek 2, so the chainrings may be different.
  • Big Red S
    A 48t ring does make you go faster, but they also make you less efficient.

It's more efficient to spin a 44x16 than grind a 48x14, even going at the same speed on the same incline.

• whitedragon
    whitedragon Posts: 54
    I'm planning to run the 48x11 for serious speed [}:)] [:D]
  • Lee_erm
    Lee_erm Posts: 56
    The reviews you talk about weren't exactly written by reputable sources. Just random people. They could well be spouting sh<u></u>ite or just over exagerating. I'd only really use them as a really rough guide, as to how good/reliable a product is.

<center><i><font color="orange">absolutely</font id="orange"></i><font color="red"><i>herming</i></font id="red"><i><font color="orange">along</font id="orange"></i>. </center>

<font size="1"><font color="beige">RIP rich</font id="beige"></font id="size1">
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    This is the difference between a professional reviewer and Bob who writes on MTBR.

When Bob who writes on MTBR has a problem with a product:

The product is crap, not just the one he's holding but all of them, badly designed, the manufacturer is crap, the bikeshop is crap, the warranty department is crap.

When a proffessional reviewer has a problem with a product:

The review sample is faulty. It might point to a design flaw, it might point to a faulty individual product. Others using the product are asked for thier experiences. The manufacturer is consulted and the faulty item replaced for another sample that may or may not show the same faults. A rounded view is formed. A fair review is written.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><font size="1"><font color="black"><font color="black">When asked</font id="black"> what we do it for I didn't have an <font color="black">answer</font id="black"> until I remembered <font color="black">the faces.</font id="black">
    It's for <font color="black">looking </font id="black">over at your best <font color="black">mates</font id="black"> and seeing the same <font color="black">grin</font id="black"> you're wearing and knowing why. It's for looking back on that, and being able to <font color="black">grin again</font id="black">.</font id="black"></font id="size1">
    <i><font color="black"><font size="1">Mail me if you think i've got it wrong</i></font id="black"></font id="size1"></center>
  • mbukfan
    mbukfan Posts: 3,052
    it's the same with everything, people only experience a very small sample of the product. I've had two deore mech sieze up on me but the first did it after 3rides the second after 5years.

<center>
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Only the truth hurts, but thats more than enough.</font id="green"> </font id="size1">
    <font size="2"> Andy</font id="size2">
    </center>
    <center>
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Only the truth hurts, but thats more than enough.</font id="green"> </font id="size1">
    <font size="2"> Andy</font id="size2">
    </center>
  • ride_whenever
    I bout the xt i kenw the rings were going to wear out, but now i have the middleburn ones it is lighter still and much more hard wearing.

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I have a pair of LX Hollowtech II's and a set of Hones (basically the same). Both are great. No problems with chain slips or anything. Only minor niggle is the LX's middle ring wearing out after about 600 miles although a lot of that was in bad mud. I tried first a middleburn replacement but that was horrendous at letting the chain off into the granny. Then I tried something else, blackspire perhaps, i forget now but that caused chainsuck into the outer ring. Went and bought a œ14 LX replacement, perfect shifting again! I can live with that small out lay for that many miles and great shifting.

2005 Azonic Propulsion
    1998 DMR Trailstar
    1992 Breezer Lightning Pro
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i have an xt chainset and a race face evolve xc chainset, both are fine, i prefer the look of the race face but dont actually notice any difference in performance.
    ive only been running the xt since xmas but havent noticed too much wear too quickly.

<center>shirpy shirpy sheepsteeth</center>
  • ride_whenever
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sheepsteeth</i>

ive only been running the xt since xmas but havent noticed too much wear too quickly.

I've knackered my xt which I installed in january!

My Scott

My Single Speed

• dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    XT Hollowtech cranks are very decent cranks but I'd agree with comments on poor durability of the Shimano chainrings.
    It's the same with the rings which come with Shimano Saint cranks, the rings appear to be made of cheese, mine started sharktoothing after about 3 months.
    Dave S
  • andyturner28
    My bottom bracket is slowely disintegrating so i need a new chainset now. I would like an XT because it looks better, but am worried about weight. How much lighter is the Hone than the XT in a 175 22 32 44 configeration? I kniw the XT is 875g but i can't find the weight of the Hone.

Cheers,

Andy.

Not to worry guy's, found it myself. Surprisingly Hone is heavyer at 928g. Thought it was supposed to be lighter?
  • ride_whenever
    No hone=lx plus it is heavier duty so heavier.

My Scott

My Single Speed

• hopkinss
    hopkinss Posts: 7
    <font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="purple"></font id="purple"><b></b>[8<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

Hi err i have the lx octalink and need to remove it.I have took the first alan key part away and am not sure how to actually take the crank off now .Anybody know how?[:p] thanks

Sean Hopkins
    Sean Hopkins
  • ride_whenever
    You need a crank extractor.

My Scott

My Single Speed

• hopkinss
    hopkinss Posts: 7
    I have a crank extractor how does it work as theres no middle for it to push the splines off as its a hollowtech.Thanks

Sean Hopkins
    Sean Hopkins