Ok 26 and 24 inch wheels.

Comments

• cadge
    cadge Posts: 5,167
    24's are cruiser wheels, and wheels that come on girls bikes, and bikes for kids that arent quiet big enough to ride big wheels, either ride 20 or 26, i dont see the need for something in between.

<hr noshade size="1">I Remember when I lost my mind.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • Tell them to make a 26" cruiser, then i'll be happy.

<hr noshade size="1"><b><center><font size="1"><font color="black">This bike has been stolen</font id="black"> <font color="black">Federal</font id="black"></font id="size1"></b> <font size="1">

Myspazzzzz
    Ride Street
    </font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="brown"><b>WDI</b></font id="brown"></font id="size1"></center><hr noshade size="1">
    Less gears, more beers.
  • cadge
    Someone does make one joe, http://www.volumebikes.com/bikes-sh.html

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • denzal3
    denzal3 Posts: 326
    26" roll better, stronger maybe not lighter but end of story.
  • cadge
    I found another advantage of 26's - Mavic rims!

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • fr4eva
    fr4eva Posts: 1
    tbh 26'' is better mtb'ing is a unique sport lets keep it that way, u want lil wheels buy a BMX

lukefox103@hotmail.co.uk
  • if you have 24 wheels then you in most cases can have longer travel like if your bike is ment to handel 100mm then you could go 4 120 theoretically. well thats what i heard from a friend.

hardtail street freeride ftw!! bmx's go fkin get some brakes!!
    hardtail urban freeride ftw!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by demoneye</i>

if you have 24 wheels then you in most cases can have longer travel like if your bike is ment to handel 100mm then you could go 4 120 theoretically.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

what utter crap.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • just read this thread. seems you have your lines tied.
    ok / ] if you make both O's bigger the line your forks
    O O dont change there angle but the bottom of the tyre touches
    ground at a longer base than the smaller one. 24" twichier
    24" wheels are stronger fact.
    26" wheels do roll over bumps and down stairs smoother.
    24" wheels have less rotating mass(if using same sixe tyres) so accelerate quicker and are more manouverable in air and on the ground.
    26" will carry momentom over obstacles better then 24"
    24" do lower the stand over height by 1".
    26" wheels are good for xc and downhill.
    24" wheels are good for street,trail,park and freeride(drops ect..)
    i run 24" wheels on my dirt/street hardtail
    and on my giant reign x1.
    i run them because i am 5'5" and enjoy mainly street,park,dirt and freeride(drops, northshore etc..)

sometimes its a good thing to not use your brain.
  • nicklouse
    dez well summed up.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    [?] Mail me!
  • cadge
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dezmtber</i>

24" do lower the stand over height by 1".

Not nessecerilly, if you have 26's with a 1" tyre, then go to 24's with a 3" tyre, it will be nearly the same.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • 24" wheels accelerate and de-accelerate (brake) quicker than 26"

if using same model/brand of rim then 24" wheel is lighter and stronger than 26" wheel, and laterally stiffer

lighter wheel = less weight on suspension system

24" has more brake torque (equivalent to running a bigger rotor)

wheelbase does not actually change...

will slightly slacken head angle, seat angle and bottom bracket height

i will always run 26"/24" on my freeride bike, i like the way it makes the bike feel more nimble on shore stunts and in the air, i have back to dual 26" and found it makes my bike feel clumsy

can get a big range of good quality tires in 24" if you shop around, including sticky rubber

but for downhill then dual 26" is the way forward [;)]

Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK's leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alx</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nicklouse</i>

to be honest it is not an easy concept to follow. the easiest way to explain how things change to the caster offset and <b>how it feels is like steepening the head angle.</b> it is all to do with caster wheels and self centering.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nicklouse</i>

i would argue the point. correct it is not a angular change but it is a geometry change.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Now, when you've extracted your head from your arse and climbed down from your pedestal, we'll start again fromt the point where i'm right. We might stop there too.

One more lippy remark and I might lose my temper.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Wow, that was really quite touching to hear somebody get so excited over being wrong that they feel the need to attempt to threaten me. Alx, you're mildly less intimidating than Mr. Blobby's maiden aunt.

I bet you check your poo for fibre.

So for future reference, please understand, You aren't in the least intimidating. I do violence for a living. I'm not on a pedestal. I do understand the difference between angular changes and those responsiveness changes which are very similar to head angle changes but aren't.

Ok Nick, when's your next anger inducing sticky coming out?
    How can you be that ugly and that stupid with only one head?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nicklouse</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by demoneye</i>

if you have 24 wheels then you in most cases can have longer travel like if your bike is ment to handel 100mm then you could go 4 120 theoretically.

what utter crap.

nick

Another gem you should be proud of, Nick.

• skyliner
    skyliner Posts: 613
    After reading the thread, I think the best way to sum up what happens when you change from 26 to 24" on a bike in plain english is:
    1.The bike gets lower (lower centre of gravity).
    2.The bike gets shorter.
    3.The bike has a tighter turning circle (the change in steering geometry because the bike is lower & shorter means, it turns in a tighter circle than the same bike with 26" wheels)

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
  • nicklouse
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skyliner</i>

After reading the thread, I think the best way to sum up what happens when you change from 26 to 24" on a bike in plain english is:
    1.The bike gets lower (lower centre of gravity).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> correctish depends on the tyres.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">2.The bike gets shorter.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> see above
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">3.The bike has a tighter turning circle (the change in steering geometry because the bike is lower & shorter means, it turns in a tighter circle than the same bike with 26" wheels)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> nope again it depends on many things but your words are not really correct as a bike can have the front whell at 90 degrees to the rear the turning circle can be the wheel base!
    you are almost there but it is not quite that simple.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • skyliner
    skyliner Posts: 613
    I realise where you're coming from with your technical explanation earlier.
    I just tried to condense it into plain English. It'll never cover the complete subject in this format, but it conveys my mental picture of effecitvely steepening the head angle without it physically taking place.
    (sharper steering being one of the main advantages)
    I suppose a better way to put it, is more action from less steering input.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
  • cadge
    I think everything has been explained adequately to be honest, you just have to read it carefully and not be retarded.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • Well I read a few pages worth on this topic, and you all seem to know your stuff. I apologize if Im asking this in the wrong forum...I ride 26" wheels and am considering 24" for the only reason being Im so damn short I thought it would help ! (female @ 4'10)..will it affect my already sad attempts to crawl over logs? give me any benefits to uphill power or downhill control? tks for any advice on this !~
  • T3
    T3 Posts: 181

what utter crap.

nick

Well to be honest nicklouse what he is saying does kind of relate to your previous point that changing to 24" wheels has the effect of steepening the head tube angle. So if you are using 24's on a hardtail, increasing the travel would slacken off the headtube angle and counterbalance the effect.

Life would suck without my rubber duck!
  • nicklouse
    edited April 2010
    sorry nothing like. yes it may make the bike ride more like a 26er but the headangle will now be another degree slacker. (approx).

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

• T3
    But as you said earlier...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by theblackmagician</i>

Sorry Nick, got to quote you here:

nope i am talking angles!

Haven't got a pair of compasses handy- I'm on a night shift! will check it out tommorow. It'll be interesting to see if there are any changes. I'm only going to check it out on the geometry of a theoretical hardtail though!

p.s. you're up late tonight ,Nick

yes i was! work work work.

there are angles and angles. and yes no angle changes but it has the same effect as making the head angle steeper. or in car terminology caster and kingpin inclination.

smaller wheels has the same effect as making the head angle steeper!

nick
    So by making the head tube angle slacker (by fitting longer forks) you can counteract the effect that you describe above as you are increasing your fork trail.
    That was my point.
    Of course I would not reccomrend doing it as the frame may not be designed to take that kind of travel, but I run some psylos (set at 120mm) on my 24" bike and it feels the same as my old 26er (which had 110mm forks) during open corners, it just leans into and out of the corners quicker (due to the reduced central-fugal force) and it now feels a lot easier to move around in mid air.

• nicklouse
    as a way to explain the chain in feel.

but as i said then fitting longer forks would increase the headangle and therefore the forces applied.

but then as the angle of rotation changes which in turn "scrub" ,may the wrong term on a bike, but the way the tire moves over its contact point.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • T3
    I can see that making an effect in that once you turn the bars into a turn the bike will want to snap (for want of a better word) into the corner more, but have you considered the merits of having longer travel forks to counteract the increased harshness of running 24's (as they don't run over obstacles as well) as that would further make the bike feel like a 26er.

• just keep the 26" then. And T3 that would be a total waste of time; it would totally destroy your bikes handling and snap the frame eventaually.

Like a proper person.

my bike:
    www.pinkbike.com/photo/1229527/
  • T3
    But if a frame is designed to take 100mm forks and you have 80mm forks on there and you swapped to 100mm ones, it would neither destroy your handling nor would it snap the frame. Sure if someone was a complete numpty and thought that increasing the travel of your forks means whacking some 170mm marzocchi 66's on there then you would be right, but the changes I are talking about here are subtle not stupid ones.

• jadryk
    jadryk Posts: 38
    as long as you're running discs, have a 26 frame but want the smallness of 24's does it matter what sze the wheels are?
  • The Joe Show
    The Joe Show Posts: 9,413
    Yes. 26" frames are designed for 26" wheels, so putting 24's on it will make it ride like a piece of crap.

<hr noshade size="1"><b><center><font size="1"><font color="black">Twenty</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Carrera</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Nissan</font id="black">
    <font color="black"><s>Federal</s></font id="black">
    <font color="black"><s>Giant</s></font id="black"></font id="size1"></b> <font size="1">
    Myspazzzzz
    </font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="brown"><b>WDI</b></font id="brown"></font id="size1"></center><hr noshade size="1">
    Less gears, more beers.
  • Stinkyboy
    Stinkyboy Posts: 1,135
    not true, my 26" gimp with 24" wheels, rides well nice, it just rides like a slightly longer 24" hardtail, and gives whopping tyre clearance (so numpty here wacks a 1.85 on the back)

HUDDERSFIELD DH SCENE
    HUDDERSFIELD DH SCENE
  • its pretty popular to run a 26 in the front and 24 in the rear, the old specialized bighits were designed this way. quick excelerating 24 in the rear and stronger since the rear is usually the first to bend, and a 26 in the front to roll over things better and be more stable at speed.