La Vuelta 2024:- Stage 19: Logroño– Alto de Moncailvillo, 177.5km ***Spoilers***

Stage 19: Logroño– Alto de Moncailvillo, 177.5km

Friday 6th September,

Start Time: 12-15BST.

The final weekend of the Vuelta begins with a tough mountaintop finish. Stage 19 of La Vuelta is very straightforward. The first half travels on predominant flat terrain to the summit Puerto de Pradilla and the second half - which is more undulating - ends on the Alto de Moncalvillo. The race totals 173.2 kilometres. Four years ago, La Vuelta also featured a race from Logroño to the Alto de Moncalvillo. The effectual route was entirely different, although the finish climb was the same. The Alto de Moncalvillo, where Roglič obtained victory in 2020, starts off gently and becomes far more challenging in the final kilometres. This year’s route takes in just one intermediate climb.

Map.

The Final Climb.

The Final Kilometres.

The 8.3 kilometres climb at 9.2% serves several extremely steep sections in the second half, which averages closer to 10%.

What to Expect.

With only one intermediate climb, this stage has been set up to encourage a GC battle, not that they should need any encouragement, this being stage nineteen.

Logroño

Logroño has already hosted 18 La Vuelta stage departures.

150,020 inhabitants.

Logroño is a city in northern Spain, south of Bilbao. It’s a stop on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela. The Cathedral of Santa María de la Redonda has twin baroque towers, an elaborate facade and an image attributed to Michelangelo. The Cubo del Revellín fort connects to remnants of the old city wall. Leafy Ebro Park has views of the River Ebro, its arched Stone Bridge and its 19th-century Iron Bridge.

Logroño, much like the rest of La Rioja, is famous for its wine and its vibrant lifestyle. Laurel Street is the epicentre of Logroño’s gastronomy and is home to numerous tapas taverns. Logroño combines its winemaking tradition with the modernity of its most avant-garde installations, thus attracting visitors with its wineries, culinary delicacies and warm La Rioja spirit. As in 2020, Logroño will again be the starting point for a stage of La Vuelta headed to Moncalvillo.

Patatas a la riojana

Patatas a la riojana is a traditional Spanish dish that consists, at its simplest, of chunks of potatoes, garlic, sliced chorizo, onions, and pimentón paprika. The combination is sautéed, then cooked in water with bay leaves until the potatoes are fully cooked, and the stew develops a thick consistency. The dish is typically served with crusty bread on the side for mopping up the juices.

Alto de Moncalvillo

Alto de Moncalvillo has already hosted a La Vuelta finish-line once before.

92 inhabitants.

La Vuelta will, once again, climb to the summit that made its debut in 2020. In an edition marked by the pandemic, the climb experienced one of the many battles between Richard Carapaz and Primoz Roglic, who eventually went on to win that edition. This extremely challenging 11-kilometre climb will be the star of this stage, this time at the end of the stage – the eighth to be entirely held within La Rioja.

Zurracapote

Zurracapote is a popular Spanish mixed drink with numerous recipes and variations. However, the basic ingredients are always the same – sugar, lemon, red wine, cinnamon, and dried fruits. Depending on personal preferences, it can be served over ice, chilled, or at room temperature, and it is typically poured into a goblet. Since Zurracapote originates from the Rioja region and surrounding areas, it is best to use local red wines when making the drink.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,892

Feels very set this stage ...break has 3mins 80 k to go

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Bora pacing

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Hockey stick ending designed for Rog, innit. Would have been a pretty dull polemica free Vuelta without the O'Connor narrative.

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • mididoctors

Roglic needs a bit more cushion on mas who will attack tomorrow I feel ...unless he collapses

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865

I don't think it's impossible that Roglic has a mare tomorrow and Mas takes control.

Today it's a Roglic special - bonus seconds even if O'Connor stays with him.

• mididoctors

Hitting the climb .... Bora All in for roglic ....ef look keen

• roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505

I sense a Roglic wobble at some point this weekend

• mididoctors

Splitting

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,293

Three Bora riders open a huge gap on everyone else.

• mididoctors

Bora ride off lol

• mididoctors

18 sec gap instantly

• mididoctors

Vlasov pulling roglic away still

• mididoctors

O'Connor seems focused on carapaz

• Pross

It's good seeing a different side to Roglic in this race. He's gone long several times now.

• mididoctors

Carapaz goes in pursuit

• kingstongraham

He's beaten O'Connor, but the stage isn't won yet...

• Pross

Carapaz, having been the one who originally couldn't / chose not to follow the Bora trio is now chasing hard.

• Pross

Can't see Skeljmose, No_Ta is going to be upset.

• mididoctors

Roglic maintain gap but not expanding it

• Pross

Ah, he is still there on the back of the chase group.

• mididoctors

Mas goes

• roscoe

Go Enric

• roscoe

Roglic extending it now

• kingstongraham

Great ride - I thought Martinez might have overdone it, but now Mas looks done in trying to close the gap.

• mididoctors

Everyone is nailed ...time gaps stuck

• mididoctors

O'Conner defense of podium strategy

• roscoe

Brutal.

• mididoctors

Ben cracking

• mididoctors

Roglic accelerates

• mididoctors

Not too many surprises there