monday sideways through time

2»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694

Translating techno German in motoring terms is easy.

Indicators = Der Blinkenlightentickentocken

Horn = Der fuckinmadehimjump

Etc, etc...

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091

There really is no need to understand German techno jargon as the 944 manual is printed in English, the fuse board is numbered (and lettered) throughout, the relays are of the old school not solid state (though they are creeping in) and the Motronic/L Jetronic/K jetronic systems were common to BMW, Audi's and 911's so are well documented. It's probably partly due to so many of them being exported to the US that you have so much at your fingertips.

What you have to do sometimes when a fault is not listed, is sift through heaps of forum sh*t because there isn't a fault that hasn't been covered but this doesn't mean that the advice given is the correct advice or the right way to go about fixing it. The 'mericans are very prone to modifying and 'deleting' instead of making it work properly partly because they are so cheap in the US, they have little respect for them, suffer terminal CBA and 944's are termed as FCE's - fun cheap exports. UK forums are often snobbery personified: 'If It ain't got Porsche on the box, I ain't fitting it' even though Porsche don't make many parts. It's very surprising how many people buy a 944 and do not know what they are getting themselves into especially when they have limited DIY skills.

My 944 is in the electrical gremlin age so I am learning as much as possible so that I can diagnose any problem anywhere saving time, money and headache's. Although complex, 944's are on the whole pretty reliable and good for 300k + miles.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 349

Sadly the German techno crap I have to deal with occasionally is on old machines 45yrs old ish, only supplied with German drawings and text back then. Some text isn't to bad but other stuff is impossible. Could be worse though as it could be Italian. As to car electrical gremlins I make sure I've got rid of the car before they creep in, and I never buy Renault as there 💩 from day one. Used to see all the warranty claim reports for various manufacturers when I was in automotive manufacturing.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.