Pog v Vin, who win?

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

If Vingegaard is not on top form and hoping to ride into form, there's a couple of opportunities to seriously test him in the first 4 stages.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395

Van Baarle and Kruijswijk both out of the Tour now so 2 more important Visma domestiques out.

Pogi's voodoo doll is working overtime!

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Yes the pundits on The Move podcast were of the opinion Pog should try and distance Ving in the first week in case he does ride into form.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Interestingly, in last year's edition Jonas tempted Pog into burning matches in the first week that he paid for badly in the third. If I was Vingegaard I'd play up any first week weakness in the hope that it would work like that again (assuming there's some actual form there and he's not just broken)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

But the situation was reversed last year, Pogacar's preparation was compromised by the injuries he sustained at Liege. His enforced absence from training hampered his endurance in that third week. I can't see how Vingegaard's injuries, which were more severe, haven't had exactly the same outcome on his durability in the final week.

• No_Ta_Doctor

Visma believe third week vulnerability/being tempted to race too much is a general weakness for Pog, not a product of poor form from injury coming into the tour. They've exploited this in both of Jonas's wins

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

Yeah but they still need to tempt him to race too much, which they will struggle to do with half a team and half a Jonas.

• roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505

I’m sure they’ll still have a full team there.

They’ll be hoping for some very hot days too, Pog apparently doesnt like it too hot.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395

Last year was very different, with Pog coming in well under cooked. He was always likely to fade in the third week.

This year, Vinegarman has had even worse injuries, was unable to do any training for a longer period. If he arrives in winning form then visma have some miracle medicines. Jonas is likely to improve as the tour progresses, but he could (and given his injuries should) be out of contention by the end of week one.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited June 7

Is riding into form even a thing anymore?

I thought in the modern age it was more you look like you’re riding into form if you have come in in such good form that it is noticed in week 3.

Pog like to spend his energy more recklessly than Vingers and I think Vingers recovers better in the heat and that adds up by the final week.

• No_Ta_Doctor

Riding into form = timing your peak for week 3.

I've always assumed it was about coming in with a touch more body fat than ideal weight and burning it off over two weeks - leaving you with better reserves when you hit week 3, but I'm no performance expert.

Can't remember where I read it, but there was an article the claimed Jonas's nutrition and performance was so dialed in that he had a scheduled weight drop at the end of week 2.

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825

That's nothing: I have a scheduled weight drop at 8:23 each morning.

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • DeVlaeminck

Why was Pog likely to fade due to lack of prep but Ving is likely to get better because he's coming in lacking prep ?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    edited June 8

Visma should probably get behind Jorgensen instead (I assume he’s riding?).

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited June 8

There’s three weeks yet. Plenty of time for him to fall off and break something…..

Not going to believe Vin is riding until he actually turns up on the start line

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Kuss looks way off the pace at the Dauphine. Is he sick?

• No_Ta_Doctor
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810

Was thinking about this while cycling to work this morning.

I think on peak form, Vingegaard edges it over 3 weeks, but on current form (as we know it) you would say Pog will be favourite.

There was a suggestion Roglic could challenge Pog but I just don't see it, and Remco seems to be another step down from Primoz, although about a similar level at their best.

On current form I would say it goes

Tier 1a - Pog

Tier 1b - Jonas

Tier 2a - Rog

Tier 2b - Remco

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

Correct me if I am wrong, but Jonas hasn't raced since the crash has he?

His form is a total unknown I would have thought.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Yes, that's the main assumption here. Jonas's form could be anywhere from 1a+ to z- (not starting), we just don't know.

Remco struggled badly in the Dauphiné but said he regarded it as training, Roglic was the clear best rider but also got dropped by Jorgensen and others on the final stage

• takethehighroad

We have to make assumptions about Jonas' form, but even though VLAB say he won't race if he's not "100%" you would imagine he will start if they think he can win.

I just think neither Remco nor Roglic get anywhere near Jonas or Pog this year, given any assumptions we have to make about either of their respective form

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    edited June 12

My current take.

Pog - Tired after the Giro? Never went in the red, will recover easily. Favourite.

Vingegaard - In recovery. Even if fully recovered has no race training. Needs Pog to have at least one really bad day.

Roglic - On the wane.

Remco - Needs a relatively "easy" parcourse to beat the other three.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • takethehighroad

My thoughts (pretty much) exactly. Although I'm not sure Roglic is "on the wane", more he came into the Dauphine relatively fresh and suffered relative to the others on the last day

• pblakeney
    edited June 12

Primoz is now 34. Sure, he still has a win or two in him, but not against the current crop of top youngsters in full fitness.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck

I heard some power estimates for Roglic that he was sustaining sort of 6.5ish w/kg for 20 minutes peak at the Dauphine while Pog was close to 7w/kg for similar durations at the Giro.

With the caveat that the numbers for Roglic are an estimate and I assume the same for Pog (they didn't state) that does reinforce that even Roglic's good days at the Dauphine were not good enough.

• stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308

Someone up there has said that it might be a very open tour with Vingegaard struggling, Pog tired, Remco & Rog not quite there…

I think that’s right. If I was UAE, I would protecting Yates or Ayuso in addition to Pog.

I think Pog, but no one has the double, clean, for a long time.

• pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote: