Giro 2024:-Stage 18: Fiera di Primiero – Padova, 178.0km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,392

Stage 18: Fiera di Primiero – Padova, 178.0km

May 23rd.

Start Time: 12-10BST.

In line with tradition, the Giro serves up a chance for the fast men amidst the brutal uphill hardship in the last week of action.This stage features a single, rather modest climb in the opening half of the route (the KOM of Lamon) followed by about 150 km of slightly downhill false flat. The roads are mostly straight with varying carriageway widths, interspersed with built-up areas and the usual traffic obstacles.

map

final kilometres

The last flat kilometres are characterised by two bends in the last kilometre. The last wide bend leads into Prato della Valle. The finishing straight measures 450 m in length and 9 m in width.

Fiera di Primiero

The small village of Fiera di Primiero lies at the foot of the Pale di San Martino, the largest massif of the Dolomites, at the confluence of the Cismon and Canali rivers, in the eastern part of Trentino. Famous in the past for the wealth of its mines, it became the trade and administrative centre of the entire valley in the 15th century. Today it is a beautiful mountain village, located at an altitude of 730 metres.

Local Cusine

• Tosela: made every morning from freshly milked milk, it is usually served with polenta and sausage (luganega).

Carne Fumada di Siror: smoked beef to be eaten raw.

Padua

Padua is located east in the Po Valley, about 10 km north of the Euganean Hills and about 20 km west of the Venice Lagoon and is crossed by the Brenta and Bacchiglione rivers. It is known as the city of Saint Anthony. Whether you visit it from the water, stroll through the historic centre or take the time to discover its green surroundings by bicycle, Padua will definitely never let you down.

Torta Pedrocchi

Torta Pedrocchi is a renowned dessert created in the historic Caffè Pedrocchi in Padua, Italy.It is a layered cake, often consisting of alternating layers of coffee sponge cake, chocolate, and green-colored mint cream. The contrasting colors create a visually appealing dessert, and the combination of flavors is both rich and refreshing. Caffè Pedrocchi, founded in the early 19th century, is famous for its architecture and cultural significance, and the torta Pedrocchi is one of its signature offerings.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,422

Bit damp ..fair few wrapped up on the roll out

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Attacks from the off

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Lot of teams keen on a break ...hard to see who ...rain jacket s

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,227

I think its moved from being "a bit damp" to "quite damp" 😉

• mididoctors

Affini tries multiple times but is stymead by a trek rider on his wheel

• mididoctors

Rain is lashing it down

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,379

Shame, I looked at the strava fly through on the Giro website and it looked promising for being a rather pretty stage despite the lack of climbing.

• mididoctors

Single line stretched out

• mididoctors

Affini local rider apparently

• mididoctors

Affini trying again .... Small climb

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,227

It's trying to dry up to be fair. Couple of optimists removing rain jackets

• mididoctors

Come on possivio... Sliding off the back

• mididoctors

4 mam break

Honore Miestre.... In there

• mididoctors

Blocking behind

• mididoctors

1:38 gap...looks like it's done for Now

• mididoctors

Over the hill took them into a dry valley no rain dry roads

• mididoctors

Raining again... Gap 2:33

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,230

The way Sean Kelly says "Durty races" (talking about literal rain/dirt on cobbles etc) makes them sound like some sort of MILF he's gagging to get into bed

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,778

I hope the break stays away, as at the start of the Giro I had a few bets.

Pog 4+ stages has come in, Movistar and Decathlon stage wins have come in

The only 2 left are "A Danish rider to win a stage" and "A Bardiani or Polti rider to win a stage"

Mikkel Honore, Maestri, Pietrobon and Fiorelli means at least one of those bets is covered

• mididoctors

1 min gap 109k to go ...rain stopped

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,230

Lol, the break isn't staying away today.

As for Danes, we didn't bring many this year. Tobias Lund Andresen probably your best bet, but he'll need to get past Milan et al with no leadout. Valgren maybe tomorrow

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors

Mid stage counter attack ...affini

• mididoctors

Kept the break too close

• mididoctors

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 762
    edited May 23

Loved the 'on this day' factoid on PCS about the rider who asked the race leader if he could go on up ahead to greet his family. He didn't in fact have any family in the region and went on to win the stage.

A cunning stunt you could only get away with once in a career, I suspect....and it turns out to have been his last Giro.

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • mididoctors

He's made it across ... Gap 27 secs

• mididoctors

There is the possibility of a counter counter attack if they try and hold this

• mididoctors

21 secs

• mididoctors

19 secs . What happens when they catch them

• mididoctors

Still 50 K