Giro 2024:-Stage 13: Riccione – Cento, 179.0km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,705

Stage 13: Riccione – Cento, 179.0k

May 17th

Start Time 12-10BST

A one star, completely flat stage through the plains of Emilia-Romagna. Mostly straight roads with variable carriageway widths, interspersed with residential areas with the usual traffic obstacles. Riccione lies just south of Rimini and after 7 kilometres the peloton moves through the place of Marco Pantani’s much debated death. The Giro last visited Cento in 1995. Mario Cipollini crossed the line in first position, but was relegated because of leaning on Mario Manzoni during the dash to the line.

map

final kilometres

The last kilometres are pretty much flat apart from the bridge over river Rhine. Some wide bends lead to the 450 m finishing straight on asphalt, width 8 m.

Riccione

Riccione is one of the best-known and most appreciated tourist destinations on the Adriatic Riviera, a city with more than 35,000 inhabitants capable of attracting both Italian and foreign tourists thanks to its variety of services and large accommodation capacity that can meet all needs. The city has always stood out for its urban greenery – hence the name “Green Pearl of the Adriatic” – and is known as an elegant resort focused on the quality of life.

Cento

Cento is synonymous with Carnival, one of the most famous and oldest in Europe! This festival was already well-known at the beginning of the 17th century, when the artist known as Guercino painted scenes of the costume party held in the town square. Radical changes have taken place since then, but Carnival remains an unmissable event that has been transformed over time to keep the enthusiasm alive.

Local Cusine

Salama da sugo di Buonacompra IGP

Legend attributes an important role in reconstructing the product’s origins to Lucrezia Borgia, who married Alfonso d’Este in the early 1500s. The first written records of products very similar to ‘Salama da sugo’ date back to the Renaissance period. The “salama da sugo” is made from pork meat heavily spiced and sprinkled with strong aged wine. It looks like a small "mortadella". It is boiled and tasted hot, with a spoon, because when cooked it has a very soft consistency. Its flavour is spicy and vigorous, and it is a truly characteristic food, with numerous loyal enthusiasts in Ferrara and beyond".

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Weather forecast for lugo says sw winds about 24kmh, so that's the only hope.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161

That would be good. Smash the pace with a tailwind into the bonus sprint then turn the corner into a crosswind. Suspect we’re being too optimistic though.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

With the finish town being only a few km from Bologna, we should of course include this regional delicacy

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810

A great stat about this stage, courtesy of Daniel Friebe on The Cycling Podcast. There have been 5 stages in Grand Tours over the last 2 years with no categorised climbs, and Alberto Dainese has won 3 of them (2 Giro & 1 Vuelta)

• kingstongraham

The one he won in 2022 was the one in this area that the peloton let a two man break go and get 6 minutes, then got nervous about cross winds and caught them with 90km to go. Then nothing much happened.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Ineos playing positioning head games

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

I like it how the Giro socials are mocking their own stage

https://x.com/giroditalia/status/1791402421513527785

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited May 17

Did find it slightly surprising to find that the Giro has 15 of the top 20 (and all of the top 10) flattest stages in the past 20 years of GT's. Expected a fairly even split between Giro/Tour with a couple of Vuelta stages.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

I had never seen non-canned spaghetti until I left home for university

• mididoctors

Ineos splitting it

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Klaxon

• mididoctors

Milan caught out

Ganna on the front

• mididoctors

Possivio ejected

• mididoctors

Big split

• Pross

Milan trying to cross solo. Ineos will make themselves popular here!

• Pross

Front group is pretty small.

• mididoctors

Merlier caught out

• mididoctors

18 sec gap

• kingstongraham

Looks like it could split again to me.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

You sure? Soudal-Quick Step are working on the front of the lead group, which would suggest he's there.

• mididoctors

Merlier front group

• mididoctors

23 sec gap

• Pross

Front group is pretty small.Not enough interest in the front group but they are still holding / slightly increasing the gap. Surprised Alpecin and Soudal aren't doing more with Milan caught behind.

• mididoctors

Break getting swallowed

• Pross

Ganna using a lot of energy before tomorrow, not quite sure what Ineos gain at the moment so it feels a bit wasted.

Group two nearly closed but it has opened up again.

• mididoctors

54 K to go Lidl full gas closing

• Pross

Riders losing the back of group 2 now.

• mididoctors

Chase group splitting

• mididoctors

Oscillation...actual road gap to back of front group 7 secs