coffee, wfh, laze

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090

Morning les bayadères de carnaval

Stunning morning.

Today; not much.

First; coffee whilst I contemplate doing not much.

Laters

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615

The dentist beckons shortly, so a certain amount of wallet pain is expected. Then into the office for more of the usual.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083

Nice little run this morning followed by a hotel pig based breakfast.

work snizzle and then point the car north. Meeting done pals for a run later and hopefully the pub

• pinno
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

Stunning morning!? Grey with rain forecast shortly 😕

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Gloomy now, apparantly sun later. Finishing off bits in daughter's kitchen, then a bit of biomass boiler dismantling to find a broken part.

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232

Working all day (again 🙄) followed by a smidge of babysitting and then hopefully a run.

Awaiting a bike shop phone call now to see if a decent ride is on the cards on Saturday as I have an airport run on Sunday AM.

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 907

Morning

Thursday chore of cleaning bathroom done. Now on second coffee then it will be cleaning the bike after yesterday’s puddle and mud fest. Whether anything else gets done will depend what energy I can summon up.

• pinno
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669

Morining.

Back in the office. Huge backlog to get through. Feel quite knackered after conference days. Much coffee needed. Yawn....

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• homers_double

Is cyclescheme still a decent thing? One of my staff is enquiring.

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 349

What Sungod says plus work.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Stevo_666

I thought that was just a name for plotting to go for a ride to avoid doing jobs for the wife.

• pinno

It's a way of getting a half decent bike cheap (participating stores only).

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217

A couple of people here have looked into it and decided that you had to jump through so many hoops now that the discount isn't worth the hassle.

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,034

Afternoon, another damp day after what turned out to be a pleasant Wedsnesday, guess it will be a turbo session at some point and perhaps finally fitting tubes/tyres/cassette to my VEL 50 RL wheels.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • homers_double

I wasn't asking if it's still a thing smartarse, I asked if it was a "decent" thing.

As in worthwhile as I figured some people on here may have used it.

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Afternoon folks,

Another busy day in the orifice, managed a slightly uncomfortable wobble in this morning. Marginally moist as well, although forecast to be wetter on the way home. My back is still giving me gyp which is a pain, I could barely get my leg over this morning.

I was asked to look at the shifting on a female colleagues bike just now, the rear cable had snapped. Managed to pull the inner out leaving the liner through the frame in place, couldn't get the new one through. Turned out the liner had split so the inner was coming out and going on a magical mystery tour through the frame. What a pain. I did very well at concentrating on the repair and not constantly gawping down her not insignificant cleavage. I'm now having a well earned sit down.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

i know, but just couldn't resist :)

fwiw it's offered by our company, not aware of anyone ever using it, i've seen comments that retailers may bump up the cs price vs. usual due to overheads and payment delay

only way to know for sure is price something specific that you want and compare cs vs. buying

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68

Apparently our cycle scheme has changed and we've gone from a completely useless £1k limit to a rather dangerous unlimited scheme. Haven't had a look at anything yet as I might get tempted and having spent an hour cursing internal cables I'm not sure I want a new bike 😯

• pinno
    edited May 16

There's some really smart looking hybrids out there.

There's a trick with internal cables. You need some superglue, fine filament and a hoover. Stick some fine filament (fishing line) on the end of the jagwire*/cable and feed the filament in the hole and then suck the filament out through the exit hole. Use the filament to pull the jagwire/cables through. It's remarkably easy. (Frayed cable ends will piddle on yer chips).

I use Jagwire which sticks readily to SG (don't stick Sungod, it might make him grumpy) and then I just feed the cable through the jagwire.

*Other brands are available.

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 349

My company does the cycle to work scheme administered by halfrauds that you can use other independent's plus tredz. A lot of smaller LBS wont deal with them though as they get all the pain and very little monetary benefit. The other thing is they seem to only work off RRP and not sale prices. Whilst my company lets you have in theory unlimited amount, they will only approve if they think you earn enough and can cover the amount. Personally id sooner pick up a last years model at a bargain price like I've just done, Just over a third off the original price.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

Yep, as above, Missus and I both used our company's scheme in the past couple of years. Third off ish on new bikes is definitely worth while. Not sure how tricky it is for employers but shouldn’t be too much hassle.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666

Our work has it but there a 1k limit and I couldn't get the bikes that I wanted so didn't bother with it.

• pinno

Big internashional company with a £1k limit?! FFS.

• Stevo_666

If you look at most of the bike shaped objects on the bike racks down in our office basement, a £1k limit wouldn't be a big problem.

• veronese68

I'd heard of similar tricks, if I was at home I'd have improvised with such things. Being at work and in a car workshop most of the tools were rather unsubtle. Smashing it with a 3' long spanner was tempting though.

I'm going to have another go at it next week when I've got the right bits with me. Pulling a cable through using another cable taped to it made the whole thing a little too fat to go through the end stops in the frame.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669

The easiest way is to use Jagwire cable and outers with a separate LubeLiner. Ideally you keep the old inner wire in place to use as a guide later. Sometimes you need to cut the Lug off the end where it fixes into the shifter. If you are fitting new outers to the handlebars then do this now but slide the old cable back into these from the steerer tube back to the shifters (the lug on the end is cut off remember) Carefully extract all the old outers while keeping the inner cable threaded through the frame. Then slide the new LubeLiner over the old cable all the way through from shifter to derailleur or caliper. Sometimes you need to do it in two pieces and meet at the BB area. Now pull the older inner cable through from the derailleur end and at the same time push the new cable into the LubeLiner from the shifter as you usually would. Slide new outers over inner with LubeLiners from derailleur back to BB area etc.

It sounds a bit complicated but it works well in practice. I've done it about 3x using this method after really struggling with the route through the downtube on my son's bike a few years back.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.