Giro 2024:-Stage 12: Martinsicuro – Fano, 193.0k​m ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,705

Stage 12: Martinsicuro – Fano, 193.0k​m

May 16th

Start Time 11-30BST.

A flat stage for the first 50 km and then studded with walls and hairpin bends to the finish. After a rather simple initial part along the Adriatic coast, the stage moves away from the sea to face repeated short, steep climbs that come in the final two thirds of the route. There are approximately 10 punchy ascents to contend with (4 of which are categorised KOM). The final climb of Monte Give, which has never been tackled before at the Giro, comes with 9 km from the finish line and has gradients of over 10%. The combined elevation gains sits at 2,200 metres.

map

climb detail

final kilometres

The last few kilometres around the historic centre of Fano are rather complex, featuring several bends and counter-bends with brief straight stretches. Last kilometre slightly uphill. Final straight of 450 m on asphalt, width 8 m.

Martinsicuro

Martinsicuro is the northernmost town in the Abruzzo region. It is located on the right of the mouth of the Tronto river, in the province of Teramo.

Its name is derived from the Spanish captain Martin de Siguera, who oversaw the construction of a watchtower (which doubled as a border post, as this was also the northernmost extent of Spain’s Italian possessions) here in the 16th century. Although a decent-sized town had been located here, it remained only a small village until the development of beach tourism from the 1960s onwards.

Cuisine.

Scrippelle 'mbusse

Scrippelle 'mbusse is a traditional Italian dish hailing from Abruzzo. It consists of seasoned pancakes in a clear broth. The batter is made with flour, eggs, milk, and salt, with the occasional addition of parsley and nutmeg.

Fano

Fano is a town and comune of the province of Pesaro and Urbino in the Marche region of Italy. It is a beach resort 12 kilometres southeast of Pesaro, located where the Via Flaminia reaches the Adriatic Sea. It is the third city in the region by population after Ancona and Pesaro. Fano was already of importance in the Roman era, when it was a religious centre known as Fanum Fortunae, and also the point where the Via Flaminia reached the Adriatic coast. Part of the fortifications, including a large arch, survive to the present day. It was destroyed in the 6th century by the Ostrogoths, but swiftly rebuilt by the Byzantines, and largely maintained its position as one of the main cities of what is now the Marche until today.

Cuisine.

Prosciutto di Carpegna

Named after the town of Carpegna, settled in the province of Pesaro e Urbino in the Marche region, this variety of an Italian dry-cured ham is produced by using pigs born, raised and slaughtered exclusively in the regions of Marche, Lombardy and Emilia-Romagna.

Passatelli

Passatelli is a variety of Italian pasta from Pesaro e Urbino, consisting of breadcrumbs, eggs, salt, and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Nutmeg and grated lemon rind are also often used in the preparation of this pasta variety.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Years ago I did an early season Gran Fondo, the day after Milan-San Remo, that started and finished in Loreto, which the route passes close by tomorrow. It was savage, a mix of fast, flat roads and the 2 km long steep climbs that the Giro peloton face, and the pace was insane.

This is the stage that Larry Warbasse is targeting (if you've been listening to The Cycling Podcast Giro coverage you'll know this already) so expect him to be in the break.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161

So odd choices on which climbs to categorise (and / or what to include as the climb).

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

Isn't Warbasse one for the proper/longer climbs than this terrain? I imagine Calmejane and Geschke will be in any break, to collect a few more KOM points.

Although a peloton sprint finish probably can't be ruled out, maybe victory will go to someone in a break who can just about 'manage' the climbs but can do a longer/faster finish than his break colleagues.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

4 cat 4 climbs is hardly worth getting in the break for, KoM wise.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

I bet this was a stage Girmay was targeting.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

There's a break and late break option here .

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Pedalling has commenced...fair amount of interest in getting in the break

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Plapp off the back ... yesterday's effort

• mididoctors

57 kph average first 30 mins

• kingstongraham

If any sprinter makes it through that with the front group they deserve the win.

It looks like a day for someone to make it hard from 60km out and trust that their guy can deliver. Not going to be Ineos for Narvaez you'd think, maybe Alaphilippe? Valter did alright on stage 1, but Visma knackered their whole team yesterday for no reason.

Has to be someone that Pog isn't going to have to follow, obviously.

• mididoctors
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161

It feels like Ineos have a few options for this stage. Ganna and Sheffield as well as Narvaez, in the past it would have felt like a great chance for Ben Swift too.

• mididoctors

Alaphilppe explodes it on first climb

• mididoctors

Narvãez following

• mididoctors

Strong men up front ..honest break

• mididoctors
    edited May 16

I think we have most of ptp represented in the break

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640

Break looks strong, with no GC threat.

If the peloton is happy that's it, I guess.

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640

Spoke too soon, it's gone nuts again.

• No_Ta_Doctor

THe chase group looks pretty tasty as well as the front group

• mididoctors

These small roads are fantastic

• kingstongraham

That is a strong break - if the chasers manage to join it, no way it's coming back.

• No_Ta_Doctor
  • mididoctors

Sanchez bridges

• mididoctors

Very classy break

• mididoctors

Group might get too big if the valgren group comes across

• No_Ta_Doctor

Depends if it works together. Might be too big for some and we get attacks from it to form a smaller group - Alan Philip is already having a go

• mididoctors

Too many groups forming

• mididoctors

GC riders trying to.slip.away

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,705

I have managed to watch the last half hour and what an interesting stage it has been, so far.

Groups everywhere

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham

I get the feeling he's riding like he's still the strongest in the peloton and can beat everyone over any distance on a day like this. Two stages already this race he's gone out and knackered himself, this could be the third.

Already feels like it's a dangerous day for the GC guys. About 40 out front in one group or another.

Fun stuff.