Giro 2024:- Stage 11: Foiano di Val Fortore – Francavilla al Mare, 207.0k​m ***Spoilers***

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161

Possible relegation for Merlier?

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    edited May 15

I'd relegate him for that.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Yeah, he definitely shut the door on Molano pretty aggressively.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Rowe was trying desperately not to say he should get relegated on the TV. Even though he said he deviated and knew molano was there.

Anyway, he's down to 89th on the stage in the results now.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161

I was confused by The Breakaway lot suggesting it would require a complaint and thinking as no-one complained there would be no relegation. Any commissaire looking at the footage was likely to relegate them without needing to be approached.

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

I've heard before that a complaint has to be made, and that the commissaires don't act off their own bat. Though surely they must do sometimes – or maybe when only when the 'misdemeanour' is totally obvious??

I actually didn't think Merlier's move that bad, i.e. IMO it was within the normal of what occurs during a sprint - although it's true Molano lifted his arm in dissatisfaction about 30 m out.

What seemed to me a worse 'block' was that by Pithie who closed out Dekker about 50 m out – it even looked like Pithie bumped Dekker. Dekker wouldn't have won but might have got 4th or 5th instead of 16th (after Merlier's DQ, revised to 15th), while Pithie ended up 'promoted' to 4th (I have nothing against Pithie, in fact I think he may yet win a sprint).