Giro 2024:- Stage 11: Foiano di Val Fortore – Francavilla al Mare, 207.0k​m ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,705

Stage 11: Foiano di Val Fortore – Francavilla al Mare, 207.0k​m

May 15th.

Start Time 11-15BST.

The 11th stage of the Giro d'Italia sets off from inland Campania, but is mainly played out along the shores of the Adriatic Sea. The riders roll out of Foiano di Val Fortore for a hilly opening to finish after 207 kilometres on the bike in sea side resort Francavilla al Mare.

Stage clearly divided into two parts. The first crosses the Apennines to Termoli and the second, entirely flat, is played out along the ss.16 state road and the shores of the Adriatic Sea. The Apennines have some rolling roads with numerous bends. Once on the coast, the peloton enters the Adriatica state road in Termoli, which the riders will follow as far as Francavilla al Mare. The last 4 km only feature two right-hand bends that lead into the very long final straight.

map

final kilometres

Last 3.5 km almost completely straight through the town, perfectly flat. The final straight is 3,000 m on asphalt, width 8 m.

Foiano di Val Fortore

Foiano di Val Fortore has been part of the Province of Benevento since 1861, after having belonged to the Province of Foggia (until 1811) and then to Molise.

The town of Foiano is 43 kilometres away from the city of Benevento and is located 520 metres above sea level. As can be easily guessed, the entire area is named after the Fortore river, the natural border between the regions of Campania, Molise and Puglia.

Local Cusine

The landscape conformation on which the village lies favours a highly appreciated wine production as well as that of the famous caciocavallo silano D.O.P. cheese.

Caciocavallo Silano D.O.P. is a semi-hard, pasta filata (pulled-curd) cheese made from the milk of cows of different breeds, including the podolica, a typical breed indigenous to the inland areas of Campania. The most widely accepted theory on the origin of the name “caciocavallo” is that it derives from the custom of hanging the cheeses, in pairs, on wooden poles, placed near fireplaces.

Francavilla al Mare

Francavilla al Mare is a tourist resort located along the beautiful Adriatic coast of Abruzzo. Boasting a rich and fascinating history, this coastal town offers visitors a journey through time, immersed in an atmosphere that combines historical charm with natural beauty.Francavilla al Mare is “Blue Flag 2023” and, with its long, golden sandy beach stretching along the Adriatic coast, this town is not short of breathtaking scenery. The crystal clear sea offers opportunities for relaxation and fun, while the surrounding hills are perfect for scenic excursions.

Local Cusine

Local Cusine lovers will have the opportunity to savour the delicious local dishes, which are renowned for some of the typical products they are cooked with, such as Abruzzo pear tomatoes and strawberries. Furthermore, visitors will have the opportunity to taste the region’s fine wines, steeped in a wine tradition rooted in Abruzzo’s fertile soil.

Bucatini in Mackerel Sauce

Bucatini al sugo di suri is a traditional Italian dish originating from Giulianova in Abruzzo. The dish is made with a combination of bucatini pasta, mackerel, tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and salt. The mackerel is cooked in olive oil until golden.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Alpecin to try and drop all.the sprinters again early ...Milan is so good at dragging that bulk over the hills though

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Uijtdebroeks out. Visma left with only 4.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

What a miserable year for them. Used up all their luck last year.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771

Seems a lot of riders leaving with 'illness' 'fever' etc. Is this Covid that noone talks about? Just seems a pretty steady and high dropout rate this year.

And Visma ... what a miserable year (relatively) they are having.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,975

I seem to remember a point in time not so long ago when it was assumed Visma would walk everything.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham

They did get six podium places in GTs last year, so fair enough - as long as they didn't all fall off.

• mididoctors

Yeah he shouldn't have got dropped like that close to the finish

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Delayed start ...soft break 2 visma one cofidis ..van dyke affini and champion

• mididoctors

Sprinters blocking behind

• mididoctors

Long day of not much in store

• mididoctors

• mididoctors

Break making this a effort ....it's fast sprinters struggling to hold the under 2 mins

• mididoctors

Tired peloton splits under minimal pressure ...no willingness to exploit . If crosswinds hit on coastal finale though

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

So are the two Visma in the break because there's sod all left for their team to do now, or because the pelton have quarantined them?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors

Halfway

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,975
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors

Optimistic attacks in final 20 K chaos

Groshatner in a hedge

• mididoctors

Piccolo off the front

• mididoctors

Not any more

• rick_chasey

Headwind sprint

• rick_chasey

Looks quite stressy at 6.5km to go.

• kingstongraham

Just looked at that 4km point on Google Street View. Does look sketchy

• rick_chasey

Enjoying McEwan on the sprint call.

• kingstongraham

All safe, Milan well up in the line still

• rick_chasey

Milan times it well - big lad in the headwind.

Nasty crash behind, didn't see who.

• mididoctors

Watch the last 10 K ...or last 5

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161

Most surprising thing there is that there was only one crash and it didn't take out too many. Jakobsen down which isn't going to help his apparently broken confidence.

• mididoctors

Fabio Crash....not serious injuries thankfully

• mididoctors

Ineos rode that like road kings ....smooth clarity of purpose ....hit the front exactly where they needed o

• kingstongraham

Merrier gave a Lidl rider an almighty shove in the run in, so Milan just took Merlier's wheel instead. Both hit the wind at the same time, Milan just much stronger.