Giro 2024:- Stage 10: Pompei – Cusano Mutri (Bocca della Selva), 142.0km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,705

Stage 10: Pompei – Cusano Mutri (Bocca della Selva), 142.0km

May 14th.

Start Time 12-15BST.

The 10th stage travels from Pompeï to the Bocca della Selva in the mountains above Cusano Mutri. The stage begins calmly with the first part of the race as good as flat. After reaching the Via Appia, the road begins to climb gently to Montesarchio. We then tackle some uncategorised climbs followed by the Camposasuro ascent, which leads to the towns of Solopaca and Guardia Sanframondi. The road is of medium width with a sometimes worn-out surface and numerous bends. After Cerreto Sannita and the illuminated tunnel that leads into the Titerno valley, the long final climb to Cusano Mutri will be tackled, spanning 18km at 6% average gradient with pitches at 10%. The climb winds its way up the treeless slope to the last part of the stage, with wide bends and short straights.

climb detail

final kilometres

The final kilometres are a constant 7% ascent with short, higher peaks in the last kilometre. The final straight is 150 m long and 5 m wide on asphalt.

Pompei

Pompeii is located a few kilometres from Naples and Salerno, close to other sites of interest such as Herculaneum, the Sorrento Coast and the Amalfi Coast. The island of Capri, clearly visible from the excavations, completes the picture of a region rich in natural and cultural beauty.

Local Cusine

The “Piennolo del Vesuvio” PDO tomato: this is one of the oldest and most distinctive agricultural products in Campania, so much so that it is even depicted in the scene of the traditional Neapolitan nativity scene. For the purposes of safeguarding the product, it was found that the special feature common to Vesuvius cherry tomatoes is the ancient practice of preserving them ‘al piennolo’, i.e. a characteristic technique for tying a few bunches of ripe tomatoes together to form a large bunch that is then hung in ventilated rooms, thus ensuring optimal preservation until the end of the winter.

Cusano Mutri (Bocca della Selva)

According to historians, Cusano Mutri, the pearl of the Matese Regional Park, has roots dating back to the Samnite period. With the unification of Italy, Cusano acquired the appellation of “Mutri” and moved under the jurisdiction of the province of Benevento. Several bands of rebels were recorded in the area, which were formed to fight ”the Piedmontese invasion”. Today, Cusano, a renowned tourist destination, defined as one of the most beautiful villages in Italy, welcomes visitors with its proverbial hospitality, its thousand-year-old history, its typical flavours and ancient traditions.

Strega

Strega is a vibrant yellow liqueur created with a distillation of 70 different spices, botanicals, and herbs that include Ceylon cinnamon, Florentine iris, cloves, mint, juniper, and saffron. The well-balanced blend is then aged in ash barrels and results in a herbal, sweet, and relatively strong drink, with 40% ABV.

Invented in 1860, Strega was first produced in Benevento by Carmine Vincenzo Alberti and his son Giuseppe Alberti. The city of Benevento has long been associated with popular legends of witches and wizards that influenced the origin of the name Strega, which translates as a witch. The drink is mainly enjoyed as a digestif, both neat or on the rocks, but its unique flavor can also work well in cocktails and some classic Italian desserts such as tiramisù or torta Caprese.

Torta Caprese.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Looks like another one where the breakaway doesn't get settled until about halfway through the stage. Nothing else for a climb-y break until Sunday.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Let's face it, best food region of Italy.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Desperately trying to think past pog ...

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Olav Kooij out of the Giro with a fever

• mididoctors
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Ethan Vernon, Max Kanter and Marius Mayrhofer are also non starters today

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors

It was a feisty first week ..

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

I like a map

Re Strega (which after Chartreuse , the green variety, is my favourite spirit), Tarte de Benevento is an ultra-creamy cake from the area around Cusano Mutri, made of shortcrust pastry, ladyfinger biscuits, eggs, cream and sugar, with lemon peel and .... Strega.

-

• jimmyjams

Although I'd guess a break is likely to form at the latest by the beginning of the wavy terrain after 45 km, I'd say its chances of being successful till the finish are probably at best 50:50 given that the peloton so far has rarely allowed a break a large margin, while the sheer overall length of the climb is likely to break up any break.

Or perhaps one or the other rider of a break might have the stamina to avoid being caught? As well as the usual members of a break on a hilly/mountain stage (e.g. Calmejane, Marcellusi, Geschke, Paret-Peintre, Sanchez, Fiorelli) it could include a climber now too far down the GC (e.g. Lopez, Chaves, Caruso - if he is enough recovered from his injuries).

If all the break is caught, either Pogacar, or whichever GC contender is able to outsprint him, I suppose will win. Though the climb may not be steep enough to cause significant gaps between the GC contenders.

Incidentally, the stage's overall difficulty has been evaluated by the organizers at 3 stars out of 5, despite being a mountain stage with a final climb classed as a category 1, and it being 17.9 km long, the longest climb in this year's Giro. Stage 9's overall difficulty was also classed with 3 stars although mostly flat even if pretty long. Perhaps the organizers have not rated stage 10 harder on the basis that the riders will be refreshed after their rest day, and/or only wanting to ease themselves back into racing.

• mididoctors

Oss on the motorbike minus his hair

• mididoctors
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    edited May 14

The Stelvio is 19.6 kms from the Bormio side, Monte Grappa is 18.1 and the Passa Rolle is 19.8, so all longer than today's climb.

• mididoctors

Cagey scrap to start with. ..break formation phase active but very measured by everyone

• mididoctors

Ineos with Sheffield and swift talking turns trying to slide away

• mididoctors

Clark.and Hermes got 30 secs

• mididoctors

Ineos riding for team GC

• kingstongraham

You could see someone going absolutely flying at that roundabout that wasn't a roundabout.

• kingstongraham

And there's the replay!

• mididoctors

Demarchi joins them. Alaphillpe trying to bridge

• mididoctors

Re activation with numerous tier 2 riders going up.rhe road in ones and twos

• kingstongraham

For a second there I thought they'd settled down.

• mididoctors

Muscley group trying to bridge 50 sec gap ..includes affini and ganna

• mididoctors

Hermans ?

• jimmyjams

You're right about the actual climb length but for some reason the organizers have decided today's climb starts at Cusano Mutri, even though it really doesn't. That is why Blazing's profile shows the flattish bumpy bit in the first 3 km and why it is theoretically the longest climb..

Eitherway, seems Stelvio may be out.

• mididoctors

Big group away now chasing down Clark and deMarchii

• mididoctors

Groups coming together at the front

• kingstongraham

Stelvio confirmed as out.

• mididoctors
  • mididoctors