Can I do it?

I am getting quite scared that my hope of riding up an Alpe in a few weeks is a pipe dream, and that I won't have the legs. Zwift says my FTP is 150w, which means <2W/kg. Am I dreaming? I'm trying to lose weight, and doing a fitness plan, but I'm scared it's all in vain.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606

Cillian Kelly off of GCN completed l'etape last summer I think it was, or maybe 2022, and his ftp was 190, I'd suspect his weight was similar to yours.

Personally I think you'll be able to complete the ride, as with any such ride, go out conservatively, and fuel it well.

Good luck, and enjoy, very jealous!

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,864
    edited March 3

As per the other thread, you've done the climb on Zwift at 100% then you should have a rough idea of what to expect.

I think you can do it. Worst case scenario, rethink what gears are fitted.

Edit:- The French Alps? Those generally don't go much above 10% so Alpe du Zwift should be a fair indicator. The other climbs will be roughly similar, just longer or shorter. Italian Alps? Different beast.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 143

Sam unless it's a race just take it steady. Its the completion of the ride that matters not the speed. Given your preparation I wouldn't worry about it just ride it and enjoy it.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,817

You can always get up - it might just be very slow.

It’s more you need to go in with the right mentality.

First mountain I ever did was such a shock and humbled me so much I climbed off - just wasn’t prepared.

A day later I did much harder mountains because I toughened up mentally.

Believe you can get up there and you will. Just grit through it

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623

Worst case scenario is you have to stop for a bit and take a photo.

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,851
    edited March 3

Still ~2 months to get decent gains from an ERG workplan, especially if you've not done one recently and you manage to lose some weight.

What's the gear setup on your planned bike for the trip?

Is a triple chainset an option?

My road bike has 34/50 with 11-34 cassette (2x11), easiest gear approx 27.0 gear inches.

My hybrid has 26/36/48 (I think) with 12-36 cassette (3x9), giving three gears easier than the road bike, easiest being approx 19.5 gear inches.

Sheldon gear calculator is an oldie but goodie https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485

Of course you can. The most important thing is to enjoy the ride.

As already suggested consider changing your cassette to make it as easy as possible.

You speed is not important. There’s always someone who is quicker.

as the ride is a few weeks away there is nothing you can do to materially change your fitness so relax, make sure you prep your kit for the ride and you sort any nutrition prior to the day.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099

• pblakeney

People may mock but you will be much happier. Recreational mamils packing big gears for the mountains for image are the ones going to suffer.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • secretsam

Let them mock. This is about me achieving a lifetime ambition.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,960

Nothing wrong with a 34 x 34 set up if that is what gets you to the top. Chances are you won't need the easiest gear, but it's great peace of mind to know you have another gear if you need it.

Don't forget that the Alpe doesn't finish at the tourist office (as it does on Zwift). You need to turn left under the wooden bridge, pass through turn 0 (yes there are actually 22 hairpins), and then across a couple of roundabouts before turning left and up to the Tour de France finish.

Alpe de Zwift is good training for the real thing, though the scenery is somewhat different!

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,390

As per comments above, the mental challenge, especially when not quite as fit as you would like to be, is one of the main aspects. Finding a way to get through the tough bits will be the hardest challenge.

• pblakeney

It doesn't stop there either. You can keep going and claim the Col de Sarenne too although that's from the wrong side so rather like claiming the Col du Mollard while doing the Croix-de-Fer.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney

PS - Biggest advice I can give is ride to feel, not data.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,817

Ja, conditions, altitude etc can change how you respond a lot.

• secretsam

Some really positive and helpful comments on here, thank you all, I feel energised and ready to engage with the challenge. Bring the pain!

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485

I forget you said it first , nut it’s stayed with me and that is “ I’ve never met an easier gear I didn’t like”

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu