Paris-Nice 2024 ***Spoilers***

124»

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525

Mads P did a huge shift for Skjelmose, but Remco's blown it up on the first cat 1, and now it's looking pretty bad for Mathias. Jorgensen looking string, McNulty doing OK as well, Vlasov too far back in GC to be dangerous, but all 4 of them are ahead of Skjelmose

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,440

TV coverage is really struggling with the weather conditions.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,694

Visma taking up where Jumbo left off last season.

That’s both the big opening stage races in the bag.

Not even Evenepoel could put a dent in the yellow machine.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,567

It's incredible how these guys sign for them and are instantly winning races. Even Sky signings took until the second season to get going.

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,785

Jorgensen looked a step above the guy that got in the lucky break .... Half wheeling remco even for ashort stint ain't nothing. Remco did the work though. Deserved the stage .... Vlasov getting deja vu from San Sebastian.

Is bernal coming back ? .impressive top end bursts but he looks in agony over the distance . I was surprised he did what he did so well done him.

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,694

It’s not taken long for Roglic’s form to head in the opposite direction, either.

He trailed in way down on today’s final stage and ended up finishing 10th on GC. His worst result since P-N, 3 years ago.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500

Reports from his coach say he is doing same numbers as normal

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,363

As opposed to Jumbo Visma Lease a Bike numbers! 😁

• rick_chasey

Indeed…

Must say the run up to MSR has not been exhilarating

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,808

Not only have they won the 2 major stage races so far, they've picked up the 2 classics on Opening Weekend too

Boringly consistent at winning

• rick_chasey

Very

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,785
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,440

Of course he's going to say that. If he's below where he's been before, he'd keep quiet about that. If he's improved and above where he's been before, he'd keep quiet about that too.

I think the shit weather over the course of most of the week has had more of an impact on the result than anything else.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525

Roglic can probably look back at riding half his own team off his wheel midway through the TTT as when his GC ambitions got screwed. Vlasov only ends up higher on GC than him because he wasn't a true threat and was given a lot of leeway.

Meanwhile Jorgenson is hardly an unknown, he's got wins before this and he's got a couple of top ten finishes in this race.

Remco had no team to speak of, and was forced to work all week by the entire peloton. Remember, after the TTT there were a load of strong UAE riders that needed displacing (their total collapse other than McNulty's brave fight is the real story of this edition). Jorgenson, Skjelmose and maybe Plapp piggy-backed on Remco

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103

From what I saw Remco didn't really look to be on his best form yet. It was a bit of an odd race.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,713

Worth remembering Jorgenson did quite well last year while riding for Movistar who still thought Mas was their best option for any GC and he had to pay for his own nutritionist and altitude camps. It's no surprise he's "suddenly" doing well at a team that looks after his admin and invests in him being as good as he can be.