Climate summit - do our leaders care?

13»

Comments

• Rishi Sunak is facing fresh outrage from climate campaigners after it emerged that the prime minister, the King, and foreign secretary David Cameron are taking separate jets to the Cop28 conference in Dubai.

Downing Street confirmed all three of the leading British representatives at the crucial summit – aimed at cutting global emissions – will each get their own private plane.

No 10 defended the decision to have Mr Sunak and Lord Cameron travel separately – as it was confirmed junior ministers and officials would fly out on commercial flights rather than travel with the PM’s entourage.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/king-charles-sunak-cameron-cop28-private-jets-b2456050.html
    I mean, fvckity dodar. Come on, try and defend this?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920
    edited December 2023
    Will each get their own private plane.
  • focuszing723
    edited December 2023
    That's a plane each, like three!
  • Sunak needed to be able to get back out of there in half a day, didn't he?

Not good enough, half a day? Can't Oliver Dowden fill in?
  • You can't justify it and you shouldn't be trying to.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I want to take issue with people saying that stuff can't be done on Teams and the only way to achieve something is to have a big jolly in the middle-east. I think this is nonsense. The issue requires people to commit time to it and to have someone coordinating efforts.

If it was held in a large Novotel outside Lille in the drizzle would you be happier?

Video conferencing is fine for presenting something but is little better than a phone call for meaningful conversation.
    I almost never have in person meetings and haven't for many years.
    I do a lot of both. I find it much harder work to read reactions over a screen, if the correspondent even has their camera on. And the half second lag just means you constantly interrupt one another.
    Honestly I have over 90% of my meetings online and these were issues in early 2020 but I feel people are much better at handling them now. First one is any easy fix, set expectations that cameras should be on.
    Just had a Teams meeting with client, planning officer and conservation officer. Sound quality was so bad that the client had to phone me afterwards to ask what everyone had been saying. Pretty sure the conservation officer was also trying to catch up on emails in the background. Given that the meeting was part of a paid-for service, it could have been much better.
    You will get useless folk in meetings in person too, as I'm sure you know.

Not got much sympathy for poor internet / sound to be honest, people have literally had years to sort this stuff out.
    The planning officer was clearly in the office. The sound was probably fine for them. Too many people in a meeting is definitely a thing regardless of medium.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Be serious - giving them half a day tells us he's not really interested but has to show willing. Giving them Dowden would be an actual insult.
  • focuszing723
    edited December 2023

Sunak needed to be able to get back out of there in half a day, didn't he?

Be serious - giving them half a day tells us he's not really interested but has to show willing. Giving them Dowden would be an actual insult.
    No, I mean Dowden fills in here. The fact is they should all be on the same flight, no excuse.

Leadership without example yet again, from all attending.

They did around 1500 more miles one way than my friggin post count!
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    I'd guess them all flying on the same flight is too much of a security risk.

There's 6 (at least) Emirates flights a day from London though, with pretty cushty 1st class, which presumably they could have gone for.

Given the number of pointless photo ops I really don't think the PMs time is as pressed as his fans will love to tell you it is.
  • Jezyboy said:

I'd guess them all flying on the same flight is too much of a security risk.

There's 6 (at least) Emirates flights a day from London though, with pretty cushty 1st class, which presumably they could have gone for.

Given the number of pointless photo ops I really don't think the PMs time is as pressed as his fans will love to tell you it is.

At least that would make a modicum of sense.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    One problem with doing these things remotely is that it makes it difficult for oil companies etc. to hand over ‘gifts’ to the VIPs. I suppose they could use Bitcoin instead though.
  • It will be interesting to read what's been resolved/achieved after this exercise in personal carbon footprint.
  • So far it seems to be agree a definition of what phasing out means. So at this rate we'll actually get round to doing something about the climate in a few hundred years.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

rjsterry said:

I want to take issue with people saying that stuff can't be done on Teams and the only way to achieve something is to have a big jolly in the middle-east. I think this is nonsense. The issue requires people to commit time to it and to have someone coordinating efforts.

If it was held in a large Novotel outside Lille in the drizzle would you be happier?

Video conferencing is fine for presenting something but is little better than a phone call for meaningful conversation.
    I almost never have in person meetings and haven't for many years.
    I think that says more about you and your job than the politicians.

They're there for most of the week. It's not all big set pieces meetings. That's just the bones on which the meetings etc hang, whether they're behind the scenes, chance encounters etc. Much easier to read the body language and get a gauge of the room in person. Impossible to do that over teams.

(you may find it worth noting that most recent research puts full time WFH as 10-20% less productive than going into the office...)
    Think of it like political presenteeism.