Is the Advertising industry hateful?

2»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

You lot sound like faceolbook salespeople. “You can target the exact audience with our data” yada yada.

Nothing wrong with sales and advertising, as long as it’s within the rules.

Several people saying you can't tell which bit of advertising spend is wasted, this means they think you can't target the exact audience.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

You lot sound like faceolbook salespeople. “You can target the exact audience with our data” yada yada.

It’s almost like you’ve decided what people have said without reading what they’ve said as I think most of us have already made comments along the lines of the bit in bold.
    Not everything I post is an attempt to disagree with someone, Pross!
    The 'you lot' at the start of your comment suggests you had a different view to 'us lot'.
    It's his forum, he can do what he likes, can't he?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • You lot sound like faceolbook salespeople. “You can target the exact audience with our data” yada yada.

Several people saying you can't tell which bit of advertising spend is wasted, this means they think you can't target the exact audience.
    and the original quote is a 100 year old so things have moved on
  • bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited December 2023
    Further to the previous vibrant commentary, which includes references to existing legislation.
    I would suggest that we need more robust legislation that targets the mind games that "Advertising Executives" are taught at higher education establishments with the specific aim of fleecing folk.
    P.S. Having read all previous posts, I stand by my original post title - hateful.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    edited December 2023
    Mind games taught at higher education establishments?

I'm not sure what establishments you have in mind, but they sound a bit made up. Advertising techniques are covered in a Business Studies A Level.

If you want to gain an understanding of advertising techniques I'm pretty sure you can just get a book out of your local public library.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • It is amusing the lifestyle spin car ads now have, years ago they'd actually try to mention something notable about the car where as now, because so many cars are boring and generic, they try and tell you the key to having a successful and content life is owning a truly ugly Seat, Nissan or Peugeot.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,650

It is amusing the lifestyle spin car ads now have, years ago they'd actually try to mention something notable about the car where as now, because so many cars are boring and generic, they try and tell you the key to having a successful and content life is owning a truly ugly Seat, Nissan or Peugeot.

Main thing in car adverts is there is never any traffic. As if.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    I don't find sales and marketing particularly evil. I'm not a big fan of sales/selling as a job role. I think mainly because I'm too socially awkward to feel confident doing it, but not socially oblivious enough to press on through regardless...

Obviously at times industries we don't like engage in marketing and sales, but surely it's the underlying industry that's the bad guy, rather than just advertising.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    Jezyboy said:

I don't find sales and marketing particularly evil. I'm not a big fan of sales/selling as a job role. I think mainly because I'm too socially awkward to feel confident doing it, but not socially oblivious enough to press on through regardless...

Obviously at times industries we don't like engage in marketing and sales, but surely it's the underlying industry that's the bad guy, rather than just advertising.

I don't think it's an either/or, especially if you think about the history of the advertising of smoking, for instance. Both parts were complicit in mis-selling a lethal product. Targeting vapes for children is a similar partnership. Gambling isn't lethal (in itself, though it does lead to suicide), but they don't seem to have any qualms about who they target, with the known problems of compulsive betting and massive debts accrued.

But I wouldn't ever expect the advertising industry as a whole to be an ethical industry - which is where legislation with teeth should step in.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,650
    edited December 2023
    Jezyboy said:

It’s mainly about having a thick skin. It’s a lot of trying your best and being told no and you have to not let it get to you, and not being disheartened and trying again. Gotta be optimistic else it’s a brutal slog.

It takes a lot of practice to not get too involved in the ups and downs.

Spoke to one of the top salespeople in PE (paid 8 figures) and it’s the same stuff. Knocking on a lot of doors and a lot of being told no.