Is the Advertising industry hateful?

My leading question may give you an insight to my thoughts.
Television ( my go to media of choice) seems to carry three main types of advert.
1. Guilt trip you into thinking that you can contribute to a charity and save starving children, rhinoceros, polar bears etc. for £3 a month.
2. Annoy you into remembering their brand by sheer repetitiveness. The McDonald's whistle chime and the "Go compare" bloke spring to mind but there are countless others playing the same trick.
3. Brands basically telling us that we are missing out on the idealistic life they present if we do not buy their products.
The school curriculum should include lessons on seeing through the advertising industry's manipulation.

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Just look at the marketing in cycling.

Discs, 12 speed , tubeless, aero, etc all pointless reasons to pay over inflated prices for a new bike.

Bill Hicks had a superb outlook on marketing people

https://youtu.be/tHEOGrkhDp0?si=UbfmuQ0fwwqs7cy1
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    You're watching too much live tv
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin said:

You're watching too much live tv

I try to make point of recording my viewing pleasure beforehand so that I can fast forward the adverts. It feels good to outsmart them in my own small way.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    Thankfully Youtube seems to have given up its recent annoying habit of trying to get people to turn off their adblöckers.

It does cheer me up what a splendid job AdGuard does on clearing up the junk and making websites bearable.
  • briantrumpet

The school curriculum should include lessons on seeing through the advertising industry's manipulation.

Actually, studying advertising in various formats would be a brilliant subject for all sorts of areas:

psychology
    graphic design & cinematography
    business studies
    sound design
    cultural & social history
    language usage

etc.
  • I should have included a fourth category - Gambling firms that tell us how much fun we can have, but failing to mention that their huge advertising budgets are financed by the odds being stacked firmly against you.
  • The school curriculum should include lessons on seeing through the advertising industry's manipulation.

Actually, studying advertising in various formats would be a brilliant subject for all sorts of areas:

psychology
    business studies
    sound design
    language usage

etc.
    yeah, it's all a bit arty and cultural, nothing to do with being a big exercise in parting folk from their money. Silly me.
  • briantrumpet

psychology
    business studies
    sound design
    language usage

etc.
    yeah, it's all a bit arty and cultural, nothing to do with being a big exercise in parting folk from their money. Silly me.

That'll be covered in the psychology bit in particular, how the barstewards warp people's minds, using language and imagery to make us think we need stuff we don't need, essentially by making us feel unfulfilled, and that their 'stuff' will make us happy (but actually empties our souls out of meaning at the same time, bit by bit).

As you might tell, reading between the lines, I'm no more a fan of it than you are, though I do just want to share the poster for my next concert, so you know where you can buy tickets...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    Advertising industry in using techniques to sell things shocker.
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2023
    I think there used to be a saying that you knew that 50% of your advertising would be wasted, but you didn't know which 50%.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    Not hateful, they're trying to sell stuff which sometimes annoys us. Having worked for a couple of advertising/media buying groups it seems to be easier for me to ignore their output.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross said:

I don't mind adverts designed to inform, I object to adverts designed to manipulate. Far too many fall into the latter category.
    The fact that big brands can afford to pay for this psychological warfare and profit from it is frustrating.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973

Pross said:

I don't mind adverts designed to inform, I object to adverts designed to manipulate. Far too many fall into the latter category.
    The fact that big brands can afford to pay for this psychological warfare and profit from it is frustrating.
    Twas ever thus.
    They've just become less subtle.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    edited November 2023

I should have included a fourth category - Gambling firms that tell us how much fun we can have, but failing to mention that their huge advertising budgets are financed by the odds being stacked firmly against you.

How do people think that any form of gambling operator makes money if the odds aren't stacked against the punters? Not sure why advertisers should be required to state the bleeding obvious.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

Pross said:

*All* advertising is intended to encourage/manipulate you to buy (more of) the product. Objecting to businesses profiting from advertising is objecting to the very idea of a business.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

psychology
    business studies
    sound design
    language usage

etc.
    These subjects have been and are studied in great depth. There are at least two museums I know of dedicated to the subject.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

psychology
    business studies
    sound design
    language usage

etc.
    These subjects have been and are studied in great depth. There are at least two museums I know of dedicated to the subject.

Indeed, just think that it would be a good umbrella subject at school level to touch on may related areas that might enthuse pupils, and something to which thy can all relate.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,650
    Manipulating isn't the right word for people selling you stuff. Suggests subterfuge, which is not at play.

It is persuading.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Why would an advert look to inform? Advertising companiesd are paid large sums of money to encourage people to buy their clients' products. It has always been that way. There are regulations around false advertising and other regulations governing the industry although these will be, and always have been, pushed to the limits.
  • I don’t see the mainstream advertising industry as hateful, it is after all quite strictly regulated. I actually appreciate a well made advertisement e.g Guinness ads even though I don’t drink the stuff.
    A favourite of mine https://youtu.be/69MpLiYhsXw?si=l3JBItDpbZmSen9H

I would ‘go after’ social media influencers who tap into the insecure and vulnerable.

I haven’t been able to sit on my bike since getting that Turkish Brazilian buttlift 😉
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

I think there used to be a saying that you knew that 50% of your advertising would be wasted, but you didn't know which 50%.

I seem to remember it as 90% and 10%
  • briantrumpet
    lesfirth said:

90% of my memory is useless, but I don't remember which half.

Your version sounds more likely.
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951
    edited November 2023

It will never happen, but 'The Hidden Persuaders' by Vance Packard would be good curriculum reading. It is probably the most comprehensive book written on the psychology of consumerism and advertising and written in the 1950's but perhaps even more relevant today.

Oh, and just watch 'Mad Men' as well!
  • lesfirth said:

No Brian, you are correct but it is seen as an apocryphal story as nobody can find the oiginal quote.

Half of the money I spend on advertising is wasted. The trouble is that I don't know which half
  • briantrumpet

lesfirth said:

No Brian, you are correct but it is seen as an apocryphal story as nobody can find the oiginal quote.

Half of the money I spend on advertising is wasted. The trouble is that I don't know which half

I suspect the wasted portion is waaaay higher, but that the 10% or 1% or whatever (combined with the general keeping something in the public eye) still makes it worth it, a bit like scam callers... they only need 1 in 1000 to fall for the scam to make it worth doing.
  • rick_chasey
    You lot sound like faceolbook salespeople. “You can target the exact audience with our data” yada yada.

Nothing wrong with sales and advertising, as long as it’s within the rules.
  • Pross

You lot sound like faceolbook salespeople. “You can target the exact audience with our data” yada yada.

It’s almost like you’ve decided what people have said without reading what they’ve said as I think most of us have already made comments along the lines of the bit in bold.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

It’s almost like you’ve decided what people have said without reading what they’ve said as I think most of us have already made comments along the lines of the bit in bold.
    Not everything I post is an attempt to disagree with someone, Pross!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973

Pross said:

The below comes over as confrontational though, even if your main point was polite.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

Pross said:

The 'you lot' at the start of your comment suggests you had a different view to 'us lot'.