Suggestions/recommendations for a new 24h rim brake rim (rear)

mr.b-campag
mr.b-campag Posts: 402
edited November 2023 in Workshop
Had my rear wheel looked at and it seems the rim has cracked slightly :-( It was a cero ar30 which I was happy with but looks like they don't exist any more. Any ideas on what is out there I could use as a replacement (and any experiences) - alloy or carbon? There doesn't seem to be much about for 24h rim brake rims...

Comments

• Cero ar30 still exist, I bought a set less than a month ago. I don't think they offer them as single wheels though (you could always ask Daryl at Cycle Division though).

If not, or you just fancy something new, you might be best off getting a wheelbuilder to make you one.

I think most of the main UK wheelbuilders have been used by various forum members. I have had stuff from Malcolm at Cycle Clinic and Derek at Wheelsmith, both recommended from me.
  • Thanks MG2 - I have someone to build the wheel, he pointed out there is a crack. Looks like Novatec do something that fits the bill - might even be the same rim?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Sales pitch alert ...

If you decide to replace them and buy a new wheelset I still have a set of campagnolo eurus for sale at a bargain price
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13120873/campagnolo-eurus-wheelset-brand-new#latest
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    edited November 2023
    this is what you want
    https://bitexhubs.co.uk/product/kinlin-xr300/

edit..l only 28… I guess you could fit a DT Swiss 511, a bit heavier but a very nicely made rim
    left the forum March 2023
  • redvision said:

Sales pitch alert ...

If you decide to replace them and buy a new wheelset I still have a set of campagnolo eurus for sale at a bargain price
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13120873/campagnolo-eurus-wheelset-brand-new#latest

They look very nice! But it's a wheel with a Powertap GS hub that I'm having rebuilt...
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I built a pair of rim brake wheels with DT Swiss RR411 rims - 20 and 24h.
    Only 21mm deep so maybe not what you want.
    They are available with asymmetric drilling for the rear.
  • mr.b-campag
    edited November 2023

this is what you want
    https://bitexhubs.co.uk/product/kinlin-xr300/

edit..l only 28… I guess you could fit a DT Swiss 511, a bit heavier but a very nicely made rim

Thanks Ugo. That looks to be about the closest thing to what I have and reasonably priced (though not easy to find a 24h one). Do you have any experience with them? I'm about 73kgs atm, hopefully in season more like 69kgs and will be looking to do a fair bit of climbing and descending on them in mountainous terrain.
  • They are good rims, no complaints.
    As for the DT Swiss ones, they are very solid and brake really well, but they are also very heavy
  • paulbnix
    edited November 2023
    The DtSwiss 411 were both the advertised weight of 435g
  • paulbnix said:

I was talking about the 511… I thought you wanted to stay with a 30 mm rim.
    If not, then DT460 are very good, very cheap and not too heavy.

• paulbnix said:

Yes as the OP I do. Would I be able to re-use the same spokes (Sapim x-rays) or is it likely the rims will have a different ETRTO standard?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    edited November 2023

paulbnix said:

Yes as the OP I do. Would I be able to re-use the same spokes (Sapim x-rays) or is it likely the rims will have a different ETRTO standard?
    The Kinlin is probably the same ERD, the DT Swiss might differ slightly. Small differnces can be ironed out using different nipples. For instance DT 14 mm nipples ( only DT Swiss) allow you to use 2 mm shorter spokes.
  • paulbnix
    I built my DT Swiss 411 with the supplied squorx nipples and phr washers.
    You might have to use phr washers with standard brass nipples when building a 511 rim and I think that takes up 1 mm.
  • mr.b-campag
    edited November 2023
    Thanks both that's helpful. Don't want to throw perfectly good spokes away (for cost and environmental reasons).

@ugo.santalucia any thoughts on the Kinlin XR31-T - this actually seems closest to what I had and is available.
  • I built one a few years ago.. it is a nice and very stiff rim… if you can get one, then it is worth grabbing it. Usual tubeless profile, so pita if you use tight clincher tyres, but almost inevitable, these days
  • Great thanks Ugo I managed to track one down (front ones relatively easy, rear ones more challenging) - now ordered. Could only find in matt black but I can live with that :-)