I blame Wiggle, say owners

13»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    drhaggis said:

I actually just bought a bike (Scott Addict 20), which should be delivered sometime next week. Hopefully. However... I've done it because change of personal circumstances plus cycle2work meant it made sense.

The Scott will be replacing a 2016 aluminium Defy, which I've used for pretty much everything. Will I see improvements? Well, yes. I'll go from mechanical 10-speed Tiagra to 12-speed 105 Di2. I'll get an allegedly nice carbon frame, which can mount mudguards for wintery club rides. Disc brakes should make wet commutes that touch safer. But I will have paid £2850 rather than £600.

The Scott will be a lovely frame 😁

I too love the benefits of the c2w scheme, must have used it 3 or 4 times now, and debating taking it out again in December when my 2nd consecutive loan completes.

2 years ago was a complete bike + carbon integrated bars, last year was a groupset.
    Fancy a GRX Di2 12 spd before establishing they're not available yet, could go 11 spd I suppose.

The best bit is the saving, your £2850 will likely end up being a pretty bargainous £1700, but nearly as great is the fact it comes out of your salary monthly, so I find I don't overly notice it.
    There's another incentive to take it out again, otherwise I'd get used to the extra cash!

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2023
    Interestingly, or not, the item I returned and that has been refunded (money in my account), has not shown up as stock again yet.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • It seems to be snowballing fairly quickly now… I wonder if I should close my account, in case data are lost in the liquidation process… I don’t think I have any card details saved, but…
    left the forum March 2023
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited October 2023

It seems to be snowballing fairly quickly now… I wonder if I should close my account, in case data are lost in the liquidation process… I don’t think I have any card details saved, but…

It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Just checked mine and the wife's accounts and both are set to use PayPal so no details to be removed. Would be happier if they actually had an easy "Delete Account" option though.

• It would be interesting to understand exactly how Wiggle's decision makers (whoever they were/are) thought they were competing in the market. If the main things they can compete on are price, quality, range, and service (in both relative and absolute senses) they don't seem to excel in any of those areas (whereas arguably they did at least on some of those and have moved away from that). It's hard to imagine those haribos bring about that much brand loyalty - so why would anyone buy anything from Wiggle now? I bought a track pump from them a couple of years back which was good value, but other than that it's ebay, galibier, merlin etc.

As for the price of modern bikes - seriously the manufacturers can go do one, not least because the current oversupply of bikes and the enforced move to disc brakes means you can pick up amazing bikes for a song second hand. I have money to spend, but I think I'll get far more value from a decent coach than a shiny new bike with features I don't need/value.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    They've started their Black Friday sales. Some good savings if you're prepared to take the risk of buying from a company in trouble
  • Use a credit card, folks. Not a debit card.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Yes, I've just ordered a bunch of stuff. If we get a bargain and help them sort themselves out, that has to be a good outcome. Obviously CC used.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Any stand out bargains?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    No.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Yes, I got a DT Swiss M1900 front wheel for £62 and a Fox 200mm dropper post at £153 for my MTB. Both >50% off. Recently I bought a Ragley Big Al for £169 and a Rockshox Revelation 150mm fork for £199, again >50% off. Maybe the deals are more on the MTB side?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    edited October 2023
    Maybe I am expecting too much having pretty much resorted to only buying from ebay and vinted.

There are also classic black friday tricks.

https://www.wiggle.com/p/endura-pro-sl-bib-shorts

I bought these for £75 in the summer; I don't think I've ever seen them listed as £140 anywhere.

(and the xs narrow pad is on vinted brand new for £70 if anyone is looking)
  • On the road bike side of things they seem to have put prices up, particularly on premium bits like wheels, groupsets etc. Seems like an odd plan when you are in need of shifting stock and making some cash.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Is there any way of removing credit card details, other than by deleting my account? I've always used a CC w/ Wiggle (last time earlier this month), but wouldn't want to see my details spill over, as mentioned above.
  • I would suggest the Merlin takeover would be a factor in Wiggle/CRC demise .They are beyond cheap for parts and as said before here they are cheaper than trade for 70% of major components .They beat Madison pretty much on all shimano parts .Wiggles customer service went down the shitter a long time ago too .
  • daniel_b
    What Merlin takeover?

Did I miss something major?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • They were bought by Cycle Fusion GMBH ,german company in April 22
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Formal administration entered into. Frasers group rumoured to be interested (so if bought by them, we certainly won't have the same shipping and returns policy).

Helping them out by buying some bar tape and gear cables. Black bar tape across many brands seems hard to find at many retailers.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Service is top notch atm. This Kickr arrived very quickly. Just ordered some minor bits - bar tape and stuff - Saturday lunchtime and it arrived Sunday morning. Less than 24hrs using standard postage option. Evri package marked as 2 day service so exceptional all round.

I do find that shopping around the site there is a lot of stuff that is not available, so maybe just unpopular colours or sizes still around.
  • daniel_b
    For old times sake, as it were, I recently ordered a torque wrench and some assioma compatible look keoesque cleats from CRC, and just now some 3T carbon handlebars from Wiggle (Not on the CRC site) - I suspect they will be the last orders I end up making.

Bit sad, as they were two of the main sites I bought most of my kit from when I was starting out in road cycling back in circa 2007.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • With regards Wiggle, I would guess all of the above is true to some degree. I suspect the wider issue, for Wiggle and a lot of other online retailers is that the bottom has fallen out of the cycling market to a degree.

The whole demographic taking up the sport changed, and it switched to being seen as a leisure activity rather than the preserve of the dedicated amateur.

Understandably many adapted to the new market and grew beyond what was sustainable long term. My guess is many new cyclists didn't stick with it and many long termers are buying less stuff.

The market was always going to shrink at some point. Those that got greedy always take the biggest hit when sales run dry.

Thats a really decent analysis.

I don't see the volume of new or recent post Wiggins riders on the ride anymore and I am getting to the age where I am satisfied with keeping the kit I have on the road as opposed to chasing the latest angle or elastemer that a big brand wants me to yearn for.