2024 Election thread

Comments

• “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Jezyboy said:

Because there's lots of overlap in why you'd be "woke" and why you'd be "green".

Is there?!

Are there any countries out there that have a hard environmental, yet right wing, party?

Up until recently the Tories talked somewhat of an OK game environmentally, but market themselves as righties.
  • It's a news cycle bump. There have been a flurry of gammon policy statements and there are more than 27% of the electorate descended from pigs.
  • Jezyboy
    It does feel a little surprising that 27% are thinking "bring on more of this"...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Jezyboy said:

It does feel a little surprising that 27% are thinking "bring on more of this"...

I really should stop being surprised at how stupid people are.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Jezyboy said:

Go run around a retirement home for a bit.

That’s the bring BoJo back ground.

Speaking from experience
  • Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

Because there's lots of overlap in why you'd be "woke" and why you'd be "green".

Is there?!

Are there any countries out there that have a hard environmental, yet right wing, party?

Up until recently the Tories talked somewhat of an OK game environmentally, but market themselves as righties.
    I would they say they didn't even talk a particularly good environmental game, let alone execute on it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Surprised labour are openly talking about VAT on private school fees.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

I can't see it losing them many votes. There can't be a huge crossover between Labour voters / would be voters and those putting kids in fee paying schools.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

They must think that the state school system is underused and it needs more pupils.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy

Why?

Private school is just miles off the radar for most couples.
  • Stevo_666 said:

They must think that the state school system is underused and it needs more pupils.

There are murmurings about changing democratics and that when the 22% drop in birth rate kicks into schools and universities it's going to lead to significant school closures. So, from Labour's POV, shunting more people into the state sector is probably a timely move.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395

Stevo_666 said:

There are murmurings about changing democratics and that when the 22% drop in birth rate kicks into schools and universities it's going to lead to significant school closures. So, from Labour's POV, shunting more people into the state sector is probably a timely move.
    What 22% fall is this Brian?
    In 1978 there were 11.983 births per 1000 people. In 2023 it is expected to be 11.267, a 6% difference, but there population is higher now than in 1978.....
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

Seen the immigration stats?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

Stevo_666 said:

In 1978 there were 11.983 births per 1000 people. In 2023 it is expected to be 11.267, a 6% difference, but there population is higher now than in 1978.....
    Don't know about the figures but there are already schools closing due to lack of pupils.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Don't know about the figures but there are already schools closing due to lack of pupils.
    Isn’t that because they’re in the wrong place?

Plenty of over subscribed schools
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

London, so hardly short of people, just not enough with children.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

We've had that, but one theory is that it is due to airbnb. The council just closed things due to lower numbers of children and didn't look to understand why or whether there may be more children in the future.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2023
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/cambridgeshire-schools-places-children-education-14417300

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/education/dozens-of-cambridgeshire-schools-are-oversubscribed-9067183/

Varies a lot.
  • TheBigBean
    Jezyboy said:

Why?

Private school is just miles off the radar for most couples.
    I think anyone who thinks this is a great policy (rich should pay more etc.) probably already votes labour, but I think there will be a number of potential swing voters who struggle to pay £50k a year in school fees (for two kids) who would decide not to vote labour purely due to the £10k post tax hit. I think that single point will outweigh all other considerations.

It also gives interviewers easy questions around how the struggling state sector is going to absorb a load of new pupils.

Private healthcare also doesn't have VAT. Is that another area to go after?

Just seems an odd move for man who has made a career out of saying nothing.
  • rick_chasey

Affects remarkably few people
  • TheBigBean

6% of kids Google tells me.
  • rick_chasey

Sounds about right.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    I'm amazed it's as high as that.
  • rjsterry
    I understood that privately educated pupil numbers had been dropping anyway as fees rose and incomes didn't.

I think there are better targets for VAT adjustments.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Surprised labour are openly talking about VAT on private school fees.

Sounds about right.
    Of which some will be on scholarship.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2023
    rjsterry said:

I understood that privately educated pupil numbers had been dropping anyway as fees rose and incomes didn't.

I think there are better targets for VAT adjustments.

If Cambridge schools are representative (unlikely) foreign (mainly chinese) students make up a really significant portion of students/pupils.
  • TheBigBean
    Will there be VAT on university fees?
  • rick_chasey

Will there be VAT on university fees?

Highly unlikely. Not least as the fees aren't really fees but more of a tax.
  • rjsterry
    Seems like a lot of aggro for £1.5bn of revenue.
    Pinnacle Monzonite