La Vuelta 2023: Stage 19:- La Bañeza to Íscar, 177.5Km ***Spoilers***

Stage 19:- La Bañeza to Íscar, 177.5Km

September 15
Start Time: 12-15BST.

An oasis of calm in a brutal final week, the 19th stage of the Vuelta a España is a race of 177.1 kilometres between La Bañeza and Íscar. The route is virtually flat, though not completely without bumps, although they are very small, so this one should be for the fast men.

It’s been awhile, but La Bañeza has seen a Vuelta peloton before. The 5th stage of the 1989 edition set off from the place in the southern part of the province León. The wind, should it appear, could set another obstacle in the way. Some would say the only obstacle.

Final Kms.

It's a straight, pan flat final run into the line at Íscar once a big, right-hand bend is behind them at just over 2km to go. The finish line on the Calle Fausto Herrero, in the heart of Íscar.

What to Expect.

Given this is their penultimate opportunity, hopeful sprinters will set their teams to work, controlling the break. A nailed on sprint finish.

La Bañeza

one Vuelta stage departure
10,068 inhabitants.

South of the Province of León, La Bañeza is located along the Vía de la Plata Route, the ancient Roman Road that ran along the peninsula’s West, from Mérida to Astorga. The city was founded in the 9th century by conde Gatón from two small villages San Pedro de Périx and Bani Eiza. It is the capital of the region of Tierra de La Bañeza. They are several celebrations during the year and the more important are the Carnivals, Holy Week, and the motorbikes race in August, one of the last urban motor-race in the world.
The motorcycle race is called the La Bañeza Grand Prix.

Cecina de León

Cecina de León is a cured meat product made from beef sirloin, centre leg, round and stifle. It is traditionally produced in the province of León. The production, which includes salting, curing and drying, can last for more than seven months.

Íscar

Unprecedented finish
6,298 inhabitants

Íscar is located in the famous Tierra de Pinares. It has a great bullfighting tradition and here you will find one of the most historic castles of Spain. The first written mention of Íscar was in the year 939 AD in Muslim chronicles. The remaining Christians reconquered Iscar in 1086 AD. Built on the ruins of its ancient fortress, Iscar’s Castle stands majestic looking over the village.
Its Plaza Mayor is also well-known.

Pimiento Asado del Bierzo

Pimiento Asado del Bierzo are the roasted peppers produced in the Bierzo district, situated in the north-west of the Autonomous Community of Castile-Leon. They are made by roasting and preserving the local Bierzo pepper variety. The peppers are roasted over a wood or gas grill or oven, peeled and put into jars with olive oil, salt, and lemon juice.

Botillo del Bierzo is a meat product made by stuffing various cuts of pigs meat, mostly rib and tail meat, into the casing. Botillo del Bierzo is then marinated with garlic and paprika, smoked and cured. It is traditionally produced in the region of El Bierzo.
It is oval-shaped, red in color and usually weighs between 500 and 1600 grams. Botillo del Bierzo has an intense flavor and smokey aroma. One of the main ingredients in this product is paprika.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Crosswind devastation jumbo get caught behind
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I admire the optimism of putting spoilers in the thread title

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Kuss is 5 ft 11+1⁄2 and weighs 9st 8 lb! God, I feel like a right fat B@stard.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,584
    I have no idea if that is high or low
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445

He's 1 m 82 high and 61 kgs according to Procyclingstats.
  • Doomed break of 4 no hopes has 2 minutes.
  • Kuss is 5 ft 11+1⁄2 and weighs 9st 8 lb! God, I feel like a right fat B@stard.

Lenny Martinez is 8st 2lb.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,584
    andyp said:

He's 1 m 82 high and 61 kgs according to Procyclingstats.
    Yeah, pretty skinny.

I'm the same weight and 13cm shorter.

Jezz I'm fat.
  • It's incredible how they can be so light but still have the muscle strength. I know it's all power to weight, but still.
  • I thought losing too much weight impacts your muscle mass?
  • Stood next to Aru in an airport - couldn't believe how skinny his legs were
  • Stood next to Aru in an airport - couldn't believe how skinny his legs were

It makes no sense I tell thee.
  • OK, so they have a higher cadence (the load is cardiovascular bias), but you still need strength!?
  • I thought losing too much weight impacts your muscle mass?

It does. The skill is in managing the weight loss so that it is just less than too much in this context.

IIRC, when Wiggo became competitive at the Tour, the balance of feeling in The Clinic etc. was that he / Sky had preferential access to some new weight loss treatment (that aided muscle preservation whilst losing weight) rather than blood doping etc.
  • mididoctors
    Genetics
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133
    edited September 2023

Kuss is 5 ft 11+1⁄2 and weighs 9st 8 lb! God, I feel like a right fat B@stard.

He's also only around 4' 6" though. It's the reason I don't think he'll be a genuine GT contender, he's just too small.
  • mididoctors
    Swimmer fallacy .... they don't look like that cos they cycle a lot . They look like that naturally and that's why they are good ...
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,478
    I mean, I could be a GT contender if I laid off the pies obviously. not sure hauling 106kg over those mountains would be much fun. Today's stage looks far more acceptable in profile :D
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,454
    edited September 2023
    You don't need much muscle to push 350-450W. We can all do it easily for a few seconds. The hard part is doing that for a long time. That isn't down to muscle strength though, but rather to your ability to generate ATP from carbohydrates and oxygen.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • There's actually quite a range of shapes and sizes in the peloton - even more on the track. Most natural builds could probably find a niche (assuming not carrying fat and that cardio is in order)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,454
    edited September 2023
    (nvm) the Austin Powers fat b+strd joke about @rick_chasey didn't work.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Wiggins is a bad example, because when he was track cyclist he wasn't exactly a waif, the same with Thomas.
  • Pross
    Uijtdebroeks must be the most enthusiastic male cyclist I've ever heard interviewed.
  • Pross
    Looking at the way they are strung out this is looking a prime chance to smash the race apart in the wind but it doesn't look like anyone is interested.
  • Pross said:

Kuss is 5 ft 11+1⁄2 and weighs 9st 8 lb! God, I feel like a right fat B@stard.

He's also only around 4' 6" though. It's the reason I don't think he'll be a genuine GT contender, he's just too small.
    He's 1cm taller than Nairo.

In honour of this - nothing's happening.

What km should I not bother watching from?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format

What km should I not bother watching from?
    There was just someone riding a motorbike across a field at the same speed as the peloton. That was nice.

32km to go and break held at about 20 seconds.
  • Roglic to swing across the front of the peloton with 4km to go, make everyone crash, and sprint in unopposed for the win and red jersey?