La Vuelta 2023: Stage 16:- Liencres Playa - Bejes, 120km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    edited September 2023
    Roglic and kuss played to wait for Jonas earlier in the vuelta to keep him higher on GC ... I would be annoyed as kuss but what you going to do .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    hypster said:

This is the most ridiculous GT I have ever seen.

Haven't seen many then ... cunego giro .... jaja vuelta
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445

hypster said:

Olano's Vuelta win was wild.
  • hypster said:

What was ridiculous about the Cunego Giro?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505

hypster said:

Horner’s Vuelta
  • Roglic's attack was the weird one.

. Attacking in reverse order of GC closes up your guys and distances everyone else in reverse of the jersey ...it makes sense but you have to get away. ...Jonas is having a great 3 week

All he did was initiate the attack that brought them all closer to Vingegaard. It made no sense for the team.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,951
    edited September 2023

Roglic's attack was the weird one.

. Attacking in reverse order of GC closes up your guys and distances everyone else in reverse of the jersey ...it makes sense but you have to get away. ...Jonas is having a great 3 week

All he did was initiate the attack that brought them all closer to Vingegaard. It made no sense for the team.
    You are going to have to explain that one. I guess you meant Kuss, but even then it was only a few seconds. Vingegaard made time on everyone.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,454
    Maybe the plan was for rivals to burn themselves up by closing Vingegaard allowing Roglic to counter for the win towards the end in typical Roglic style and Kuss just following, but no one made an effort to close Vingegaard's attack?!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • pblakeney
    If you are looking at strategy then maybe the plan was to get the opposition to burn a few matches before the big day tomorrow.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133
    pblakeney said:

If you are looking at strategy then maybe the plan was to get the opposition to burn a few matches before the big day tomorrow.

There is no opposition. Hopefully it does become a free for all between the Jumbo riders as that would liven things up but unfortunately I can’t see it happening.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

There is no opposition. Hopefully it does become a free for all between the Jumbo riders as that would liven things up but unfortunately I can’t see it happening.
    Well, there you have it. They were just cementing the top 3.
    Kuss has this unless he collapses. Team turmoil if they challenge him without a collapse.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

You are going to have to explain that one. I guess you meant Kuss, but even then it was only a few seconds. Vingegaard made time on everyone.
    No, I meant Vingegaard. He was flying away gaining time with nobody coming out of the group until Roglic decided that he needed to attack and limit everyone's losses.
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2023

pblakeney said:

No, I meant Vingegaard. He was flying away gaining time with nobody coming out of the group until Roglic decided that he needed to attack and limit everyone's losses.
    Ah. I suppose it depends on your perspective. At no point did I think Vingegaard was going into Red. Close maybe, but not quite. Gap 3rd to 4th increased, Kuss didn't lose much.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Ah. I suppose it depends on your perspective. At no point did I think Vingegaard was going into Red. Close maybe, but not quite. Gap 3rd to 4th increased, Kuss didn't lose much.
    My view is that Roglic was most concerned with the gap between Vingegaard and Roglic.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,378
    edited September 2023
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

The way the gap initially opened up, it did look like Jonas might take red. In the end Kuss lost 75 seconds to Jonas. It puts Jonas in a great position to do the same again and then he will take red.

Jumbo closing out the podium was never in doubt before yesterday anyway, baring a crash or bad mechanical.
  • Did look like Vingegaard riding to win the race.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

My view is that Roglic was most concerned with the gap between Vingegaard and Roglic.
    As well he should.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,510

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Roglic must know he can't win this now?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,751
    edited September 2023

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Doesn't seem to think like that, does he?

Kuss had to hold back to help him in 2020 on Angliru, but I think its likely they'll both be watching Vingegaard disappear again.
  • Pross
    So do we think the Jumbo management have said they can ride for themselves as long as they don't damage the overall position or have they allocated a leader with the others possibly going rogue? They are in a low risk position really but it may affect team morale in either situation.
  • Pross
    The problem Kuss has is that he can't do anything to defend his lead if one of the other two attack as it will be seen as him chasing his own team down. He needs to be the first to have a dig if he wants to win it for himself as his only other option is to follow any counter attacks which so far haven't been successful.
  • Pross said:

The problem Kuss has is that he can't do anything to defend his lead if one of the other two attack as it will be seen as him chasing his own team down. He needs to be the first to have a dig if he wants to win it for himself as his only other option is to follow any counter attacks which so far haven't been successful.

After yesterday, if he's got the legs, he should just go after them.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,510

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Doesn't seem to think like that, does he?

Kuss had to hold back to help him in 2020 on Angliru, but I think its likely they'll both be watching Vingegaard disappear again.
    I always thought Vingegaard had the option to win the race if he wanted to, but I assumed he would let Kuss win on the basis that action would be rewarded in the years to come.

For example, I can remember Contador gifting a Giro stage to Tiralongo, and then the following year Tiralongo, who was riding on a different team, buried himself to help Contador win the Vuelta.

• pblakeney
    edited September 2023
    Pross said:

That's the big if question. Kuss can give Vingegaard 29" and Roglic 1'33" minus bonuses. Anything more will be informative.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • To get the 1-2-3, none of them needs to attack any of the others. And if they are all still together at the front, we all know Roglic will nick the stages from anyone.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

As well he should.
    As well he should, were it not for the fact that it means that neither Kuss or Roglic can.
    Beyond getting a podium 1,2,3, none of us here know what is Jumbo's actual race plan, or if it changed when Kuss what appeared to gain an unassailable lead. For all we know, this was always the team's plan, although if what Kuss said post race regarding Roglic is accurate, it casts doubt.
    Vingegaard attacked so early, one wonders if it was a preemptive strike.
    It's very handy for making huge time gains, knowing that your team mates are then left in the bunch, unable to respond.

Like I said yesterday, a clearer picture will emerge today.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Roglic and Vingegaard have something which may be "once in a lifetime" chances for them to earn two GT wins in a single year.

I'm all for etiquette and such like, but unless Jonas went all in yesterday and can't manage anything else I'd be amazed if he can't find 29 seconds on an unsupported Kuss *if he wants to*.

And if I was him, I'd be trading off that status as a 2xGT winner in a season vs the impact on his relationship with one of the best climbing domestiques in the peloton. Can he afford for Kuss' heart not to be in it next time he needs a bit of assistance whilst trying to beat Pogacar?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I don't think he needs the assistance to beat Pogacar in normal conditions. But he may need it for a stage next year after winning the Giro to complete the triple.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    He hasn't needed it so far, but there's no guarantee that both Pog and Ving will be at the same levels in future years as they have been over the last 2.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim said:

Roglic and Vingegaard have something which may be "once in a lifetime" chances for them to earn two GT wins in a single year.

I'm all for etiquette and such like, but unless Jonas went all in yesterday and can't manage anything else I'd be amazed if he can't find 29 seconds on an unsupported Kuss *if he wants to*.

And if I was him, I'd be trading off that status as a 2xGT winner in a season vs the impact on his relationship with one of the best climbing domestiques in the peloton. Can he afford for Kuss' heart not to be in it next time he needs a bit of assistance whilst trying to beat Pogacar?

Does it have to be a calculation purely in terms of self interest?

I'd be thinking it'd be nice to win this but I can live without it if it means Sep gets a grand tour on his palmares.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]