La Vuelta 2023: Stage 16:- Liencres Playa - Bejes, 120km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Robbie McEwen is nonplused by Jumbo seemingly infighting
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,378
    Kuss finishes 1:06 down on Jonas, probably 7 or 8 down on Roglic.
    They've tried to shaft Sepp haven't they!
    Kuss still in red, but needs to watch his team mates more than anyone else.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445

Jumbo-Visma want to win the race. If Kuss isn't up to it, and we've seen the first hints of a weakness today, then they need to ensure that Vingegaard or Roglic take it.

I imagine the Van Hooydonck news also meant that they were desperate to take the stage win today too, to dedicate to him.
  • Vingegaard went all in by the looks of him at the finish.
    Kuss ain’t winning this Vuelta if he’s got anything to do with it.

Strange day.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,378
    andyp said:

Jumbo-Visma want to win the race. If Kuss isn't up to it, and we've seen the first hints of a weakness today, then they need to ensure that Vingegaard or Roglic take it.

I imagine the Van Hooydonck news also meant that they were desperate to take the stage win today too, to dedicate to him.
    Does anyone really think they weren't going to win the race without attacking Kuss?
  • Kuss looking relaxed and happy with Jonas and Roglic after the finish
    Whatever they're doing it doesn't actually look like the drastic soap opera everyone seems to hope it might be
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Mmmm, not the warmest of congratulations there.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133
    Full on Movistar, the congratulations from Kuss to Jonas didn't seem as enthusiastic as Jonas wanted.

Where was Remco? I didn't hear him getting a mention at all although I was only half watching.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Hard to process that
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I think it is a plan they are following but it's just a bit to successful
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I'm thinking that whatever you're seeing as "not the warmest" congratulations is more about Nathan Hooydonck than any infighting
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,584

Kuss looking relaxed and happy with Jonas and Roglic after the finish
    Whatever they're doing it doesn't actually look like the drastic soap opera everyone seems to hope it might be

Don’t see the stress with having all your sharp end riders gaining time. If Kuss can’t keep up that’s his problem and he’s paid to be the support act anyways.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133

I'm thinking that whatever you're seeing as "not the warmest" congratulations is more about Nathan Hooydonck than any infighting

Valter just said they were told during the stage that he is OK and was watching the race.
  • Pross said:

Where was Remco? I didn't hear him getting a mention at all although I was only half watching.

He made no effort and has dropped the time he gained the other day - clearly wants to get into another break and win a stage later on in the race. Came in 148th.
  • Pross said:

I'm thinking that whatever you're seeing as "not the warmest" congratulations is more about Nathan Hooydonck than any infighting

Valter just said they were told during the stage that he is OK and was watching the race.
    Just watching Jonas's interview in Danish - he's in absolute pieces. Only heard Nathan was improving with 300m to go

• andyp said:

I wouldn't be reading too much into any hints of weakness, based how Kuss fared today.
    Don't forget it's the old, day after the rest day and one short, sharp climb. Not his ideal sort of climb.
    He only lost 4 seconds to Mas and Ayuso, but took a handful of seconds on the others.
    Vingegaard aside, time gaps were very small.

Tomorrow will tell us more.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    This is the most ridiculous GT I have ever seen.
  • I have read this elsewhere and confirmed by a second poster, rather than heard it myself, but: Kuss was saying on TV the plan was to try to win the stage with Roglic.

Can anyone confirm this statement to be true?
    If so, does this constitute a Jumbo fail? :p
  • I have read this elsewhere and confirmed by a second poster, rather than heard it myself, but: Kuss was saying on TV the plan was to try to win the stage with Roglic.

Didn't look much like that was Vingegaard's plan, did it?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    I thought it was just Jumbo cementing the 123
  • Roglic's attack was the weird one.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    edited September 2023

We appear to be missing something to wash that all done with???

It's in cider country! Flat sidra that's poured from a height to make it temporarily bubbly.

About 6%. There's apple trees everywhere round here.

Oh, go on then.

Today's sidra. The man has been pouring it the proper way here.

Glorious weather all day here, was in the sea for about an hour and a half - lovely.
  • Mad_Malx said:

They increased the gap from 3rd to 4th and 2nd to 4th by a fair amount, so yeah.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,951

Mad_Malx said:

They increased the gap from 3rd to 4th and 2nd to 4th by a fair amount, so yeah.
    This was my take. Don't know what the fuss is all about.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.

I didn't hear myself whatever Kuss said, but I read that his words supposedly were “Actually we wanted to ride for Primoz today, but then Jonas attacked“.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    I imagine Jonas will put it to bed tomorrow.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    Ineos looked like they had an extra rest day. They all came at roughly the same time. Might as well just go home.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    roscoe said:

Ineos looked like they had an extra rest day. They all came at roughly the same time. Might as well just go home.

That bloody Evenepoel was almost dead last, he should go home too
  • mididoctors

Roglic's attack was the weird one.

. Attacking in reverse order of GC closes up your guys and distances everyone else in reverse of the jersey ...it makes sense but you have to get away. ...Jonas is having a great 3 week

• mididoctors
    Jumbo has done everyone's head in ....