La Vuelta: Stage 9:- Cartagena to Collado de la Cruz de Caravacaí, 184.5 km ***Spoilers***

2»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Meanwhile up front, Lenny FTW

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    ddraver said:

scenes as the GC riders ride past a number at the side of the road and just.....stop

It's a disgrace. Someone should be thinking hard about the image the Vuelta is projecting. Some bits may be out of their control, and the weather along the mediterranean coast isn't precisely helping, but this doesn't look like one of the biggest stage races in the world.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The TUI reps working along the coast could probably have organised things better.

That’s how bad that looked.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It was the cycling equivalent of 'jumpers for goalposts', cones for the finish line.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    I tuned in with no idea of what the finish was and could not work out wtf was going on.

I’m still not sure.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds said:

I tuned in with no idea of what the finish was and could not work out wtf was going on.

I’m still not sure.

It rained, it got muddy and the organisers panicked. Finish was at the finish, but gc times taken at 2.050 km to go. So they just rolled in from there, as much as you can roll up a 17% gradient.

When they got to the finish, it looked fine, so made them look silly.
  • gweeds said:

I’m still not sure.

In that case, good luck figuring out the results. Over on PCS they read like a Chinese puzzle.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    Did my man Lenni win?
  • gweeds said:

I’m still not sure.

In that case, good luck figuring out the results. Over on PCS they read like a Chinese puzzle.
    Great stuff. Molard 25th @ 4:44, Almeida 26th @3:11.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    This race is an absolute farce
  • gweeds said:

I’m still not sure.

Great stuff. Molard 25th @ 4:44, Almeida 26th @3:11.
    Maybe they're going to run it as a handicap based on the results of your previous 3 GTs.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Very dry ground getting hit with a deluge
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Honestly, don't think I can remember such a poorly organised GT. Every day is a sh1t show.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Are the television company covering it in some kind of dispute with the organiser? They seem to deliberately messing up the camera work of the finish, intermediate sprint points and KOMs
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    I do feel sorry for the journos etc who have set out their stall to cover the GTs properly, and for the riders (especially those who aren't just going through the motions).

It's really hard to care about something so shoddily done so late in the season. You get the impression the vast majority of the riders are fairly open minded about what result they get, and the poor organisation really doesn't help change that.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Vuelta is usually ok for coverage I don't get the poor camera direction at all
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm