La Vuelta: Stage 9:- Cartagena to Collado de la Cruz de Caravacaí, 184.5 km ***Spoilers***

Stage 9:- Cartagena to Collado de la Cruz de Caravacaí, 184.5 km

September 3
Start Time: 11-40BST.

Before the first rest day of the 2023 Vuelta a España, comes stage 9. It will potentially play a pivotal role in the early shape of the general classification. The race travels from Cartagena, to Caravaca de la Cruz. The first part of the stage is flat before the route starts to climb after approximately one hour of racing. The Puerto Casas de Marina la Perdiz is an ideal spot for a successful breakaway to form, if one has not already been established. The 184.5km stage finishes with a punishing ascent of the Alto Caravaca de la Cruz, for which the 1,089m elevation conceals the severity of the final savagely steep slopes.

Cartagena means literally ‘new city’. But it’s not that new at all. The Carthaginians formed the town in the third century before Christ. The route leads inland into the Murcia region, making this the southernmost stage of the race this year.

The Climbs.

The route starts to climb after approximately one hour of racing. The Puerto Casas de Marina la Perdiz is a 11.5 kilometres long climb at 4.9%.

Alto Caravaca de la Cruz
While it is 8.2 kilometres long and averaging 5.5%, it’s a wildly irregular ascent with short downhills playing leapfrog with sections at 15%. The steepest stretch goes up at 20%, while the last kilometre ramps up to 9.5%.

Final Kms.

Only in the last 2.5 kilometres does the finishing climb ramp up to 17.5% and even 20% for a few hundred metres. But then it levels out again and goes downhill, only to return to climb at 8% just before the flamme rouge. The final 400 metres are, again, double digit material.

What to Expect.

Since the run-up to the finale happens on rolling terrain, expect the breakaway to be granted so much freedom that the stage winner will be at the front. Also expect some GC action on those final, high gradient slopes.

Cartagena

Two previous La Vuelta departures.
216,365 inhabitants

Cartagena is a port city and naval base in the Murcia region of southeast Spain. Founded by the Carthaginians around 220 B.C., the city boomed during the Roman period. Among its many Roman ruins are a 1st-century B.C. theater and Casa de la Fortuna, a villa with murals and mosaics. The Muralla Púnica (Punic Wall) interpretation center houses the remains of a 3rd-century B.C. defensive wall. Much of the historical significance of Cartagena stemmed from its coveted defensive port, one of the most important in the western Mediterranean.

Asiático
Asiático is a Spanish cocktail made with a combination of coffee, condensed milk, brandy, and Licor 43 – a local liqueur. The drink should be served in a thick, resistant, specially designed glass with coffee beans, lemon rind, and cinnamon.

Bacalao Fresco con Tomate – Fresh Cod with Tomato

Typical to Campo de Cartagena, this dish plays homage to an ingredient cooked in the region since Roman times – salted fish. A method of preservation that’s changed little over centuries, the fish in question is often cod and in this particular recipe, is cooked with vegetables, garlic and tomatoes. The olive oil in which the cod is fried emulsifies with the fish fat, to create an exquisite al pil-pil sauce.

Collado de la Cruz de Caravaca

Two previous finishes.

25,611 inhabitants

Los Caballos del Vino is the most characteristic festivity of Caravaca de la Cruz – a locality crowned by the impressive Basilica of Vera Cruz. According to legend, when the Caravaca Castle was sieged by Muslim troops, locals managed to defend it from enemy forces and take provisions to the fortress by carrying wineskins on horseback. This feat is commemorated each year at the start of May with a triple horse-riding competition.

Imperial de Lorca

As the name suggests, imperial de Lorca is a Spanish sausage originating from Lorca in Murcia. It is made with a combination of lean pork, pork belly, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. The combination is stuffed into calf casings in links of 20 centimeters.
After it has been dried for about 15-20 days, the sausage is ready to be consumed as it is.

Caña de Cabra

Murcia is a mountainous region known for high-quality goat milk products such as this soft-ripened goat milk cheese log. Young caña is mild and creamy with refreshing lemony notes. As it ages, the cheese gets a sharp and intense flavor with a note of earthiness. Caña de Cabra is typically enjoyed with local honey, figs, and almonds or pine nuts.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited September 2023
    Once again Vuelta coverage let’s down the race.
    Strong crosswinds were forecast and indeed the echelons formed almost from the kick off.
    Average speed so far if 61kph!

Unfortunately, it was once again Jumbo doing all the damage, so all their men are in group 1, (6 riders) as is Evenepoel, (plus Cattaneo)
    Only 4 other riders made the cut, Vlasov being the only other leader:
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Bonkers. How on earth has that happened?
    Lovely if Jumbo orchestrated a slight gap and put the hammer down with cross wind.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235

Strong crosswinds were forecast and indeed the echelons formed almost from the kick off.

Unfortunately, it was once again Jumbo doing all the damage, so all their men are in group 1, (6 riders) as is Evenepoel, (plus Cattaneo)

EVENEPOEL
    CATTANEO
    ROGLIČ
    KELDERMAN
    KUSS
    TRATNIK
    VAN BAARLE
    VINGEGAARD
    GOVEKAR
    VLASOV
    DENZ
    BUCHMANN

PCS has QS Soudal helping to pull in group 1. Not sure why they would do that.
  • gethinceri
    6/8 Jumbos in front group, would’ve been 7 but for a mechanical for Walter
  • 6/8 Jumbos in front group, would’ve been 7 but for a mechanical for Walter

Yes.
    Valter was indeed in the lead group, but had himself a puncture.
    The rest of the sorry bunch are either at 45 seconds or 1'-10"
  • blazing_saddles
    edited September 2023
    Unsurprisingly, Bahrain, Movistar and UAE are pulling the peloton.
    Gap cut to 30 seconds and they are already starting the other, lesser first cat climb.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    It can't be worth the effort for JV.
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Group 1 caught by the peloton.
    Good. Didn't want anything exciting and watchable to be happening when coverage eventually starts.....
  • DeadCalm said:

EVENEPOEL
    CATTANEO
    ROGLIČ
    KELDERMAN
    KUSS
    TRATNIK
    VAN BAARLE
    VINGEGAARD
    GOVEKAR
    VLASOV
    DENZ
    BUCHMANN

PCS has QS Soudal helping to pull in group 1. Not sure why they would do that.
    Surely in the echelons you need to take your turn on the front even if you aren't giving it everything.
  • Echelons forming again.
    Well known rouleur Sepp Kuss leading figure in group 1
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Ok who's missed out ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Hugh did well to stay up front
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    This is killing the break
  • For once I am in total agreement with Kirby: Ineos missing Luke Rowe big time on this stage.
    In fact I question the team selection, full stop.
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2023
    Unprofessional not to bring sivakov
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

So he can call off during the first week?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    edited September 2023
    Ffs
    Stage finished neutralised
    Climb cut in half and all the tough bit out.
  • gethinceri
    Awesome planning.
  • I am bailing out.
    Better things to do
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 said:

So he can call off during the first week?
    What's the story there? It's passed me by
  • What is this obsession on GCN/Eurosport for guessing the winner? It’s not just CK

Breakaway finish should be good. GC lads will roll in
  • gethinceri

What is this obsession on GCN/Eurosport for guessing the winner? It’s not just CK

They’ve done it for years, it’s one of their “things”.
    Not a bad idea, I find it of interest.
  • What is this obsession on GCN/Eurosport for guessing the winner? It’s not just CK

It's what punditry has become on a lot of sport. Very uninteresting unless you are planning to bet on it.
  • Back to the non-racing of last weekend then.
  • mididoctors
    What a shambles though
  • I like this climb mind you.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ...very spanish.

Got a lot of time for Lenny tho tbf.

(Can't say I'm concentrating wholly on it though)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    scenes as the GC riders ride past a number at the side of the road and just.....stop
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Well that's fucking stupid.