La Vuelta 2023: Stage 8:- Dénia to Xorret del Catí, 165km ***Spoilers***

Stage 8:- Dénia to Xorret del Catí, 165km

September 2
Start Time: 11-55BST.

Arguably the toughest stage of the first week, with an elevation gain of over 3,600 metres, the constant undulations in Alicante means the race will already likely be at breaking point even before the 20% slopes of the final category one test of Xorret de Catí. Stage 8 of the 2023 Vuelta a España has five categorised climbs, but there are a series of uncategorised ascents that could prove explosive for the overall standings.

The route goes from Dénia to Xorret de Catí. Dénia is situated on the Costa Blanca, just north of cycling hotbed Calpe. While Calpe is famous for being the destination of choice for many pro-cycling teams preparing for the season. The route goes to the Xorret de Catí in the Sierra del Maigmó. La Vuelta last visited the Xorret de Catí in 2017, when Julian Alaphilippe won from the breakaway.

The Climbs.

According to Strava: Distance 3.83 km. Elevation Gain 459 m. Avg Gradient 11.5 %. ( stretches of tarmac with over 20%.)

Final Kms.

What to Expect.

Given the stage profile, the probability is that the win will go to a strong rider who makes the break of the day. However, given how ridiculously steep the climb is, there will probably be some gaps within the GC riders, without them having to go to war.

Dénia

One previous stage departure.
42,953 inhabitants.

Located on the shores of the Mediterraean Sea, Denia is part of UNESCO’s Creative Cities of Gastronomy Network. The city has a strong marine past and present, and its gastronomy combines its seafood with products grown in Valencian vegetable gardens. Its 20 kilometres of fine sandy beaches and rocky coves contrast with the Montgó massif, which overlooks the city’s coastline from the Natural Park of the same name. The walls of Dénia Castle dominate a hilltop by the marina. Its ruins also host the Archaeological Museum, with Roman artifacts found nearby. The Toy Museum explores Dénia’s rich toy-making heritage. The Ethnological Museum, in a 19th-century townhouse, has displays on local life.

With more than 400 restaurants, Denia is a delightful beach resort for sampling fine cuisine from Michelin-starred restaurants to traditional bustling tapas bars. The chefs use the finest local ingredients to create simple but tasty meals such as cocas which are like mini pizzas.

Denia bid for global recognition of its cuisine to become a UNESCO City of Gastronomy. The star of its bid was the delicate Denia red prawn, which is held up as a shining example of what the town offers with annual competitions dedicated to the shellfish being held each year.
The prawn is best served simply cooked in sea water but can also be dressed up to make an impressive dish.

Xorret de Catí. Costa Blanca Interior

6th stage finish.
10,752 inhabitants (Castalla)

Xorret de Catí is a rural mountainous area in the Valencian Community, Spain. As a part of Prebaetic System, it is located in the province of Alicante, between Castalla and Petrer, at an altitude of about 1,100 meters. The climb of the Xorret del Catí is a La Vuelta icon. The race has faced this challenging mountain pass, including stretches with inclinations of more than 22%, on 6 occasions. The last time, back in 2017, French rider Julian Alaphilippe led a mass escape that ultimately led him to victory after a tough 5-kilometre climb. This was the second French triumph in a summit that, curiously, has only ever been conquered by either French or Spanish riders.

Cerezas de la Montaña de Alicante

Cerezas de la Montaña de Alicante are table cherries of the local Burlat, Tilagua, Planera, Nadal, Picota and Picota Ambrunesa varieties. These supreme quality cherries have been grown in the north of the province of Alicante and the south of the province of Valencia since they were brought there by the Romans.
These cherries are quite sweet, very flavorful, deep red in color and very crispy.

Cantueso alicantino

Cantueso is made from the flower and the stalks of Thymus moroderi, locally known as cantueso, a small plant from the thyme family. The drink is produced by macerating the plant in neutral alcohol. The macerate is distilled, sweetened, and then rested in barrels for a minimum of two years.
Cantueso is a sweet and herbaceous liqueur. It is clear and colorless, though many producers opt to add caramel to attain amber or dark brown color. Typically, this liqueur has between 25 to 35%

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• We have a 30 man breakaway that has 4 minutes on the rest.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Does it include 8 Jumbo riders?
  • Pross
    Is that the cat killer in the break?
  • Pross said:

Is that the cat killer in the break?

Of course.
    After all, this is the Cati stage.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    The Moto coverage and camera direction has been shit this vuelta

Real sub par
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Gesink pulling it back ...earning his wage
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    This looks really hard
  • This looks really hard

It is.
    2001 I think it was, Fabio Rosciolli was a lone breakaway. He had a double figure lead starting the approach to the climb. He was caught and past.
  • I have had to switch to the Dutch commentary again.
    I find the constant gags and accompanying giggles totally irreverent and irrelevant.
  • mididoctors

This looks really hard

It is.
    2001 I think it was, Fabio Rosciolli was a lone breakaway. He had a double figure lead starting the approach to the climb. He was caught and past.
    Blast from the past .... Of Marseille fame in the tour another 22 min time gap adventure.

He won a vuelta stage in the pouring rain when the peloton neutralised themselves ..Barcelona I think
  • Here we go….
  • mididoctors
    Kuss is a great card to have
  • mididoctors
    Roglic to jump across ?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    This whole jumbo 1-2-3-4-5-6 punch thing is a great tactic, eh..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    No
  • Much ado about nothing
  • mididoctors
    Kuss dropped ...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited September 2023
    Typical Roglic.
    What a cr@p finish
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Rog

Remco got his gears wrong..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Don't know why Remco pulled three Jumbos to the line only to inevitably be Rogliced in the last 100m
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Roglic does "a Roglic"..... Yuk!
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • mididoctors
    Very good defensive ride by remco
  • Pross
    Roglic does a Roglic. I think Remco could have dropped them all if it finished at the top of the climb, the JV train was grimacing on his wheel and he looked like he was barely breathing.
  • mididoctors
    Jonas looking like a rider with hurting legs ...
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Stunning climb but a dull finish
  • Pross
    Lots of work by Jumbo to put Kuss in red. Not sure that was the aim!
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Roglic does a Roglic. I think Remco could have dropped them all if it finished at the top of the climb, the JV train was grimacing on his wheel and he looked like he was barely breathing.

Good for the race
  • mididoctors
    Rui moaning about jumbo 😆
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Lots of work by Jumbo to put Kuss in red. Not sure that was the aim!

Plan =Kuss goes ..roglic bridges ....remco left behind .

Reality kuss goes ... Remco brings him back and rides killer tempo neutralising all attacks ....sprint