La Vuelta 2023: Stage 4:- Andorra la Vella.Andorra - Tarragona, 184.6km ***Spoilers***

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133
    Crash which acording to the oracle was bound to happen as the road was too wide. Coquard down but back on his bike, half of Bahrain also down. I wonder who the riders will blame for that one considering they are racing on a straight, dry dual-carriageway?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Brian ..and brutrago
    Held up
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • did a double take when Wittermouth said "CRASH... had to happen - the road was too wide"
  • mididoctors
    If there is splits they happened outside of 3 k
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Idiot misses a crash at the front of the leadout

WTAF?
  • Another crash for my Velogames team.
    Groves from Molano.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Great finish by groves
  • mididoctors
    Classy
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    Who designs the courses at the Vuelta? That was an insane run in. I'm surprised there weren't more crashes.
  • mididoctors
    Ef rider crashed ...karma
  • Another fine mess. Who's directing this Vuelta?

• Pross
    edited August 2023
    Molano went far too early. Groves comes around him to win. EF rider rties to take a 90 degree narrowing bend about 10mph faster than possible.

CK had pinned his hopes on Dianese winning so decided he get held up by the crask when he was nowhere to be seen.
  • I switched to the Dutch commentary.
    It’s so stress free it’s sublime. No hysteria at all.
    Ted Thuens 3rd after the ES lot had suggested that Lidl Trek would try to get away cos they didn’t have a sprinter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,584
    Molano almos taken out by a mobile phone there.
  • rick_chasey
    Expecting some complaints about that final corner.
  • Pross
    andyp said:

Who designs the courses at the Vuelta? That was an insane run in. I'm surprised there weren't more crashes.

Other than the narrowing on the exit from the bend where the EF rider crashed I didn't think it was too bad. The pile up happened on a dead straight wide section of road. I did, however, think there was a UCI minimum length for a finish straight and I'm not sure today's complied.
  • andyp said:

Another complaint about the organisers?
    In fairness to them, that final turn is clearly marked on the map.
    I pointed it out.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,751
    edited August 2023
    Pross said:

Crash which acording to the oracle was bound to happen as the road was too wide. Coquard down but back on his bike, half of Bahrain also down. I wonder who the riders will blame for that one considering they are racing on a straight, dry dual-carriageway?

It was a really weird junction with concrete one side and a barrier directing them away from a sliproad - and then a motorbike was parked in front of the barrier making it narrower. And it came at a point when they were at full speed all the way across two lanes.

• rick_chasey
    Belgians in the booth not of the view that the finish route befits the stature of a World Tour race.
  • rick_chasey
    Alpecin, have won a stage in their last 9 Grand Tours.

• Pross

andyp said:

Another complaint about the organisers?
    In fairness to them, that final turn is clearly marked on the map.
    I pointed it out.

The alignment of the barrier was shit to be fair.
  • kingstongraham
    It was a pretty sharp turn to have there, but the EF rider really pushed it way too hard to get into the turn. You could see him put in that extra effort and ended up on the wrong line.
  • rick_chasey

It was a pretty sharp turn to have there, but the EF rider really pushed it way too hard to get into the turn. You could see him put in that extra effort and ended up on the wrong line.

It's more that the barriers jut in about 3 metres right on the exit.
  • kingstongraham

If they didn't, he'd have just hit a different barrier. In my opinion.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    edited August 2023

If they didn't, he'd have just hit a different barrier. In my opinion.
    Mine too.
    No way was he getting around, he carried too much much speed into the turn.
    And Rick had better leave any measuring job to others if he thinks that was 3 metres.

Anyhow, just popped in to say that despite his awful crash, Santiago Buitrago finished the stage and only lost 2 minutes 22".
    Brian Coquard finished 6 minutes behind him. Kobe Goosens was the last crash victim home.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,454
    The sprint was so weird, because it went on forever. It looks like Groves looks back and admits he can't get around Molano, but then the sprint isn't over and just keeps going, so he goes again and Molano blows up. 😂
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Nice to see Van Den Berg accepting responsibility for his crash into the barriers and saying he was going too fast into the corner despite the interviewer trying to get him to blame the organisers.
  • Jonas had a Dumoulin moment, apparently

Link is in Danish, but I'm sure you all have modern browsers which can translate for you:
    https://sport.tv2.dk/cykling/2023-09-11-det-var-ikke-mit-stolteste-oejeblik-siger-vingegaard-om-maveonde
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format