La Vuelta 2023: Stage 4:- Andorra la Vella.Andorra - Tarragona, 184.6km ***Spoilers***

Stage 4:- Andorra la Vella.Andorra - Tarragona, 184.6km

August 29th
Start Time: 12-20BST.

Stage 4 is the first chance to shine during the three-week race. A largely flat or downhill run for the final 30km means that there's likely to be a big bunch sprint at the end of the 184.6km day.
The hardest tests of the stage come in the final 50km with the Alto de Belltall (9.3km at 3.7%) and Coll de Lilla (5.2km at 4.9%), though neither of the third-category climbs look likely to pose much of a challenge for the sprinters.

The riders line up in Andorra’s capital to leave the dwarf state and, subsequently, the Pyrenees on a false flat dowhill. After some 50 kilometres they enter a more undulating phase in the race.
Despite 1,800 metres of ascent, from start to finish, the riders descend into Vall and continue gently downhill towards Tarragona. From here it’s 30.6 kilometres from the Lilla summit to the finish line.

Final Kms.

There are a number of "Kirby's" and slight rises within the final kms. The final, sharp turn is on roundabout being within 500 metres of the finish. (I can already sense the panic button being pushed)

What to Expect.

There may not be many sprinters here but after no chances, stage 4 will most likely be controlled in order those here get a chance.

Andorra la Vella.Andorra

10 Vuelta stage departures.
24,382 inhabitants.

Andorra la Vella is the capital of Andorra, in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain. It lies near the confluence of the Valira and the Valira del Norte rivers in the narrow Gran Valira valley, on the southern slopes of the Pyrenees. It’s known as a duty-free retail hub, with shops lining Meritxell Avenue. The mountainous Principality of Andorra is part of the history of La Vuelta and its capital, Andorra la Vella, already has extensive experience hosting the race. Thanks to its orographic characteristics, this cycling territory attracts numerous professional cyclists for training purposes.

Escudella
Widely known as Andorra’s national dish. This is mainly a winter dish, served in the cold months and on holidays. It’s a rich, hearty stew, containing a base of broth with cooked pasta, pulses, and different vegetables. The traditional Escudella also contains a few different kinds of meat – sausages, chicken, meatballs, and pork. Almost every restaurant in Andorra offers its version of the meal.

Tarragona

Tarragona has hosted 13 La Vuelta finishes
135,436 inhabitants

Tarragona is a port city in northeastern Spain’s Catalonia region. Many ancient ruins remain from its time as the Roman colony of Tarraco. The Amfiteatre Romà is a 2nd-century arena facing the Mediterranean, the Necropolis contains Roman tombs, and traces of the Forum stand among the alleys of the walled, medieval Old Town. A walkway along the ramparts, the Passeig Arqueològic, has sweeping views of the city.

Arroz Marinero

Rice and seafood are the key ingredients to making arroz marinero, a traditional specialty that originates from Spain. The main ingredients are usually combined with sautéed vegetables such as onions, peppers, tomatoes, and garlic, and the combination is typically simmered in water or stock (seafood or fish stock) with the addition of various spices and seasonings.

Arròs negre

Arròs negre is a Spanish dish originating from Valencia and Catalonia, and it is the most popular in Castellon and Tarragona. It is made with white rice, squid or cuttlefish, and squid ink, which gives the dish its characteristical black color.
The dish is often enriched with the addition of garlic, onions, fish stock, cubanelle peppers, olive oil, and sweet paprika, and many cooks like to add other types of seafood into the paella pan, such as shrimp and crab.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133
    Really struggling to find the motivation to watch this year. Today might be the first stage I put on as it can keep me company while I work but I'm not exactly enthused by the prospect.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,751
    Pross said:

Really struggling to find the motivation to watch this year. Today might be the first stage I put on as it can keep me company while I work but I'm not exactly enthused by the prospect.

Today is a sprint stage featuring only one of PCS top 20 ranked sprinters. And even that's Coquard.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    edited August 2023
    Police arrest two men attempting to sabotage today's stage with 400 litres of olive oil
    The video is a worth a watch

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,659
    Properly good policing that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

Agree, definitely a slick operation.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • No_Ta_Doctor

ddraver said:

Agree, definitely a slick operation.
    Like a well oiled machine
  • kingstongraham
    Holy fuck.

• No_Ta_Doctor

Holy censored .

Yeah, sorry, some of those puns a shocking. No idea how they slipped through the quality filter.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158

Police arrest two men attempting to sabotage today's stage with 400 litres of olive oil
    The video is a worth a watch

Just start oil
  • kingstongraham
    Be a shame to have a normal day of racing without some weirdness, I suppose.
  • kingstongraham
    Looks like there's a doomed break of 3, including the requisite Burgos and Caja Rural lambs, not being given much leeway. Some normality returning there at least.
  • Pross
    edited August 2023
    Disappointed not to see Dastardly and Muttley being among the ones being arrested or ACME painted on the barrel.

Edit - first mugshots from the police station have been released

• God, Wittermouth with 100km+ of not much action

Could be a lot of imagined conversations
  • Pross

God, Wittermouth with 100km+ of not much action

Turned on about 15 minutes ago, it's a relief to here Blythe talking now.
  • kingstongraham
    I think there's at least an hour before the prospect of anything happening. Got to love Sean Kelly telling it like it is.
  • At least the sun has come out.
    Mercifully 45 minutes respite as Dan Lloyd takes over to describe the non-action
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    Pross said:

God, Wittermouth with 100km+ of not much action

Turned on about 15 minutes ago, it's a relief to here Blythe talking now.
    Sadly am I correct in thinking it's only ck and no hatch at all?
    On the stage I watched yesterday it seemed to me that lloyd was taking the part of lead commentator when ck was resting his vocal cords.
    I have thought he has been good for a while, and he's one of the best imho, very natural, good sense of humour, and also knowledge of the sport and the riders. I hope he moves more into the role and ck gets gently eased out.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Just 35kms of calm commentary and he’s back already.
    Now we have the joy of him and all those roundabouts looming.

Deadly dull thus far.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Jumbo and ineos showboat a fair bit don't they
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • **ROUNDABOUTS CHAT KLAXON**
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,971
    So now ck has named all the start list as potential winners and now he is on to......... yes, you've guessed it..... roundabouts
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Pross

Just 35kms of calm commentary and he’s back already.
    Now we have the joy of him and all those roundabouts looming.

Deadly dull thus far.

I did wonder if Robbie's comment along the lines of 'I'm just enjoying the peace and quiet' was a slight dig shortly before CK returned.

We've just had the full list of riders read out as a list of possible contenders and a mention of town planners and roundabouts.
  • Pross

Jumbo and ineos showboat a fair bit don't they

Jumbo you can understand, Ineos less so these days
  • kingstongraham
    Bonus seconds in 4km - could be the first point of interest.
  • kingstongraham

Bonus seconds in 4km - could be the first point of interest.

nope
  • Pross
    What are Ineos doing?
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

What are Ineos doing?

Holding the front until it matters - it's their trademark move these days
  • Pross said:

What are Ineos doing?

If they're trying to base their tactics on the TV coverage it could be anything
  • Crash.
    Coquard out of the sprint, Buitrago out of the race by the looks.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Crash 4 k to go
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm