Michael Hessman -Jumbo Visma

roscoe
roscoe Posts: 465
edited August 2023 in Pro race
Jumbo Visma rider suspended by the team for a positive doping test.

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,943
    Hmmmm....
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    22 year old with few results.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited August 2023
    He's an up and comer looking at his history. A Jumbo mountain train type. 3rd at the Tour de l'Avenir last year.

An unusual positive in the modern era. They are usually riders clinging on in the sport.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,123
    I'd be astonished if the super drug that some of you think Jumbo-Visma are using is a diuretic.
  • andyp said:

I'd be astonished if the super drug that some of you think Jumbo-Visma are using is a diuretic.

Masking agent?
  • andyp

andyp said:

Masking agent?
    Why would you use an easily detectable drug to mask an undetectable drug?

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,712
    Nah, JV are motor doping with those magic gyro wheels. Seen on t'internet so must be true.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,789
    andyp said:

andyp said:

Masking agent?

Doesn’t explain why he’s taking it though.

• andyp said:

andyp said:

Masking agent?

You wouldn't. However you would likely consider using a masking agent to mask a detectable drug. I'm not saying JV are using a "wonder drug", but if they are, the use of a masking agent at the same time makes sense as "wonder drug plus masking agent" is essentially an undetectable wonder drug in practice. The worst case scenario is that there's a failure for a low-grade substance used as as agent, such as a diuretic, which is not going to upset any apple carts for JV, as obviously you don't win all those GTs on the back of just diuretics.

The flip side of course is that the rider may have been taking the diuretic as a diuretic to hit a weight target in the short term at a scheduled weigh in. It doesn't feel hugely likely that JV would be "burning their matches" using a wonder drug outside of the biggest hitters for the biggest races.

• andyp said:

andyp said:

Masking agent?

To hit a weight target to make a team selection?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,198

andyp said:

andyp said:

Masking agent?

If it was this then there are questions to ask about athlete welfare IMHO
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited August 2023
    andyp said:

It's a masking agent to hide doping and is a banned substance for that reason.

They were obviously using it to pass doping tests while doping as young athletes typically don't have medical conditions that warrant the use of this banned substance.

• andyp
    zest28 said:

andyp said:

They were obviously using it to pass doping tests while doping as young athletes typically don't have medical conditions that warrant the use of this banned substance.

You seem to know an awful lot about their motives. Backed up with zero evidence as always.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,289
    zest28 said:

andyp said:

What is the substance that he's failed the test for?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,789

andyp said:

andyp said:

Masking agent?

We don’t know so pointless speculating.

Jumbo have a 3 strikes and out agreement re doping so worth keeping an eye on. One down.
  • Jumbo have a 3 strikes and out agreement re doping so worth keeping an eye on. One down.

Surely after two genuine tests failures you'd have served so long via bans (e.g. 2 yrs first; 4 for second) that the third strike would be superfluous.

• andyp said:

zest28 said:

andyp said:

You seem to know an awful lot about their motives. Backed up with zero evidence as always.
    I think the point is two-fold:
    1) You don't consume diuretics by accident
    2) A professional athlete wouldn't normally be prescribed them by a doctor

Which leads to the obvious question: Why has he tested positive?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    I read that as the sponsor has a 3 chance rule ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    And none of us know what's gone on here. It's possible the team use a little known rider to test their doping protocol before using it on the big guns as if and when it goes wrong the fallout is less than if Vingegaard is popped at the Tour. If I was running a team doping programme I think that's what I'd be doing.

But of course I can make up half a dozen other possible stories equally with no evidence to choose between them.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228

andyp said:

andyp said:

Masking agent?

We don’t know so pointless speculating.

Jumbo have a 3 strikes and out agreement re doping so worth keeping an eye on. One down.
    Aren't Jumbo leaving at end of next year anyway?

• We don’t know so pointless speculating

Huh?

Apart from reading about what bike races unemployed or retired people are watching, what else is anybody doing here?
    😉
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519

We don’t know so pointless speculating

Huh?

Apart from reading about what bike races unemployed or retired people are watching, what else is anybody doing here?
    😉
    Skiving, like me?
  • DeVlaeminck

We don’t know so pointless speculating

Huh?

😉

I'm here to meet hot chicks
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,641
    andyp said:

zest28 said:

andyp said:

Best to just ignore the fuckwit.
  • Pross
    r0bh said:

andyp said:

andyp said:

Masking agent?

If it was this then there are questions to ask about athlete welfare IMHO
    If it was then it is probably the rider doing it off their own back. A team is unlikely to be risking giving riders an easily detected banned substance especially when it isn’t going to improve performance.
  • Pross

andyp said:

andyp said:

Masking agent?

You wouldn't. However you would likely consider using a masking agent to mask a detectable drug. I'm not saying JV are using a "wonder drug", but if they are, the use of a masking agent at the same time makes sense as "wonder drug plus masking agent" is essentially an undetectable wonder drug in practice. The worst case scenario is that there's a failure for a low-grade substance used as as agent, such as a diuretic, which is not going to upset any apple carts for JV, as obviously you don't win all those GTs on the back of just diuretics.

The flip side of course is that the rider may have been taking the diuretic as a diuretic to hit a weight target in the short term at a scheduled weigh in. It doesn't feel hugely likely that JV would be "burning their matches" using a wonder drug outside of the biggest hitters for the biggest races.

But the sanctions aren’t any different for a ‘low grade’ substance as for anything more seriously performance enhancing are they?
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    If your team was running a world-beating and top secret drug program would you risk giving the intern a go? I don't know if the 'inner circle' of JV are on anything or not (I like to think not) but I highly doubt every one of their riders is.
  • Pross said:

andyp said:

andyp said:

Masking agent?

But the sanctions aren’t any different for a ‘low grade’ substance as for anything more seriously performance enhancing are they?
    I was thinking in PR terms. No-one can argue that anyone takes diuretics for a material performance improvement, so JV won't suffer reputational damage one would think. A failure of a test for some new type of steroid or blood booster would raise far more questions, as the performance impact of those can be material.

But in terms of the rider, I've got a dim memory that there are different categories of drugs per the WADA code, with a different scale of sanctions for each category. Though it's a long time since I've read the WADA code.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    What kind of cheese would you use to disguise a small horse?

Mascarpone