The beer (and occasionally wine) thread

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    edited August 2023
    pblakeney said:

You need to buy better cheese to go with your better wine. 😉
    One bottle of wine is only 6x125ml. Hardly alcoholics for 2 people over several days.

Sure but say you have 2 x 125ml of a red on Saturday.

Sunday is fish, and Monday the wife doesn't want any, so I have 1.

Still have half a bottle. Tuesday is a spicy meal where I don't want wine with it and then you're already onto Wednesday. I have one more, Thursday I am out for drinks with work before dinner so don't want any more and then suddenly a week has gone by.

Plus you don't always want wine with your dinner if you're eating with a 4 year old.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

Plus you don't always want wine with your dinner if you're eating with a 4 year old.

Surely that would make you want to drink wine more?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Oh man, doing bed time and reading stories in the dim light after wine? brutal.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

pblakeney said:

One bottle of wine is only 6x125ml. Hardly alcoholics for 2 people over several days.

Still have half a bottle. Tuesday is a spicy meal where I don't want wine with it and then you're already onto Wednesday. I have one more, Thursday I am out for drinks with work before dinner so don't want any more and then suddenly a week has gone by.

Sounds as good a reason as any for eating cheese after the 4 year old is in bed. 😉
    Anyway, our Tesco does smaller bottles and most good restaurants have a selection of half bottles so they are available.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Sounds to me that you do not really like wine
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920
    I thought Liberals just smoked pot?
  • rick_chasey

pblakeney said:

I do, really I do.

I just have things working against me. 1) I am a massive lightweight, literal and when it comes to booze. 2) My terrible reflux makes drinking wine a very painful experience so when that kicks in I can't have any anyway and 3) I only like it well paired with food.

Hence wanting half bottles!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    edited August 2023
    There's only just over 4 x 175 ml glasses in a bottle. Surely even a total lightweight can manage 4 glasses over a week without barfing over their 4 yo?

Anyway isn't the 4 yo in bed before you have your dinner?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

pblakeney said:

I do, really I do.

I just have things working against me. 1) I am a massive lightweight, literal and when it comes to booze. 2) My terrible reflux makes drinking wine a very painful experience so when that kicks in I can't have any anyway and 3) I only like it well paired with food.

Hence wanting half bottles!
    Would think any decent online wine supplier will sell you half bottles. A bit more faff than adding to the Sainsbury's order but probably better choice. Supermarkets do sell half bottles as well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    Stevo's given you the answer, just buy the boxes. Pour what you want and the rest stays fresh.
  • rick_chasey

There's only just over 4 x 175 ml glasses in a bottle. Surely even a total lightweight can manage 4 glasses over a week without barfing over their 4 yo?

Anyway isn't the 4 yo in bed before you have your dinner?

When I WFH we eat as a family.

I often find 175ml too much tbh.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Why not decant a full size bottle into smaller bottles? Fill them right up and any effects of oxidation will be minimal.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2023
    Yeah, not really looking for solutions, just whining (wineing?).

What happens is you have say a decent £30 bottle, and then you look at your meal schedule and work out that you probably won't have enough meals to justify the bottle, so you don't bother etc.

Drinking less wine is probably a good thing rather than a bad thing anyway.
  • focuszing723
    With up to 1,200 bottles of wine being processed through the plant every minute, it was essential for Accolade Wines’ business (and for the UK’s wine drinkers) that the production line suffered as little disruption as possible during the build.

In addition, pressure on parking space meant we needed to keep the footprint as small as possible. The final design did not require a crane pad alongside the foundation, so minimised the sterilisation of space. And the installation programme largely avoided any interruption to the distribution centre’s operations.
    https://cleanearthenergy.com/projects/accolade-wines-avonmouth/
    For anyone who is snobby about box wine a lot of wine gets put into large containers, shipped and bottled/boxed at their destination.
  • pblakeney

What happens is you have say a decent £30 bottle, and then you look at your meal schedule and work out that you probably won't have enough meals to justify the bottle, so you don't bother …

Nope. You’ve lost me there.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Buying wine in half bottles is easier of you find the right wine merchant. Places like Old Bridge and Four Walls have fairly extensive ranges of half bottles, and they have high quality lists so you wont get anything duff from either of them.

A Coravin is a great bit of kit. I have had one for about 3 years and they really do work as well as they claim. The gas canisters are pricey but they last an age, I get at least 30 glasses out of one which is more than the 10-15 they reckon it will last.
  • pblakeney said:

What happens is you have say a decent £30 bottle, and then you look at your meal schedule and work out that you probably won't have enough meals to justify the bottle, so you don't bother …

he lost me at "meal schedule"

If I was drinking £30 bottles of wine I would not have a problem finding the opportunity to finish it.
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2023

pblakeney said:

he lost me at "meal schedule"

If I was drinking £30 bottles of wine I would not have a problem finding the opportunity to finish it.
    Indeed.
    Good wine should be a pleasure.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    I bet on a blind test none of you would be able to choose between a four to a fifty quid bottle of wine? You just don't get bad wines now within reason.
  • rick_chasey

I bet on a blind test none of you would be able to choose between a four to a fifty quid bottle of wine? You just don't get bad wines now within reason.

For me anyway, beyond £30 and it becomes more about scarcity than it does quality but yes, between £5 and £30 there is a noticeable difference.
  • pblakeney

Nonsense.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    Right, back to beers, and (sorry for the many photos) here's the small local U Express selection (not yet restocked after the weekend).

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    Who snuck the Smirnoff Ice in there :D
  • rick_chasey
    Any decent light lagers in all of that? Looks like a pretty heavy selection!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537

Any decent light lagers in all of that? Looks like a pretty heavy selection!

Missed off the shelf opposite the Heineken, which had some bog-standard 4% stuff, but was looking very empty. Brexit, obvs.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    pblakeney said:

Maybe he needs worse wine...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I bet on a blind test none of you would be able to choose between a four to a fifty quid bottle of wine? You just don't get bad wines now within reason.

I rarely go above £30 but the difference between that and £5 is chalk and cheese.

If you do blind wine tasting with wines from the same producer then the difference is obvious.
  • focuszing723

I rarely go above £30 but the difference between that and £5 is chalk and cheese.

If you do blind wine tasting with wines from the same producer then the difference is obvious.
    I bet on a blind test you couldn't, it's just a different taste. Would you buy 500g of grapes for thirty quid? No, no you wouldn't. Half of it is swank factor and making sure your green bin box doesn't look fookin poverty spec.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Not quoting Brian's post as it's quite big, but is the beer called Slalom in the first image because of the way you walk after a few too many?