Stage 21:-Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines to Paris Champs-Elysées, 115km ***Spoilers***

1235»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2023
    Since the World Tour started in 2009, FdJ have only won three races (excluding stages) putting them behind the likes of Dan Martin, Rui Costa, Tim Wellens, Michael Matthews, Elia Viviani and Jakob Fuglsang.

Yet no-one ever suggests that Madiot is useless.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    RichN95. said:

Since the World Tour started in 2009, FdJ have only won three races (excluding stages) putting them behind the likes of Dan Martin, Rui Costa, Tim Wellens, Michael Matthews, Elia Viviani and Jakob Fuglsang.

People talk about them all the time though, so if the whole point is publicity the man's a genius.
  • RichN95.
    Cross over commentary: I' m watching golf highlights. Harman way ahead, but there is a group of players behind on six under par. One is Jon Rahm. The commentator says "This putt could take him ahead of the peloton"
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    edited July 2023
    RichN95. said:

Trying to.think what they are ...pinot Lombardi is one
    Must of won tour of the Alps or something. ( Is that wt )

They have won points jersey in the giro ? does that count ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    On about the final stage, btw - the interviews afterwards (at least on Eurosport) are generally worth hanging on for. Riders have their guard down a bit as they've just finished the tour, and they're not necessarily being interviewed because of their performance on the day (either winning, missing out, or having had a 'mare) - which means they're doubly relaxed. Having Orla and other members of the gang there also changes the dynamic of the conversation for the better.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2023

RichN95. said:

Milan-San Remo and Hamburg Cyclassics - both Arnaud Demare
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

On about the final stage, btw - the interviews afterwards (at least on Eurosport) are generally worth hanging on for. Riders have their guard down a bit as they've just finished the tour, and they're not necessarily being interviewed because of their performance on the day (either winning, missing out, or having had a 'mare) - which means they're doubly relaxed. Having Orla and other members of the gang there also changes the dynamic of the conversation for the better.

On Danish TV, Mikkel Bjerg told us that he was late for the Danish rider photo because he was getting his saddle raised to help a pain in one of his legs, but that when he rode onto the cobbles his balls regretted it a lot
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

That Hamburg race is wt ?

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

That Hamburg race is wt ?

Yes. Now called EuroEyes Classics and still WT. It was Vattenfall Cyclassics in 2012 when Demare won.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

RichN95. said:

I don't know the words of the Danish national anthem, but I imagine it's more to the 'we will crush our enemies' end of the anthem spectrum than the 'look at our beautiful countryside' end

Completely wrong. It's entirely "this place is really quite nice, isn't it?"

There is a royal anthem that features these memorable lines though:

King Christian stood by the lofty mast
    In mist and smoke;
    His sword was hammering so fast,
    Through Gothic helm and brain it passed;
    Danish limericks are a bit dark
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154

Madiot has his book of tactics and training schedules written on the other side.
    Nah he’s recycled French Fighter’s ‘I love Contador’ poster from back in the day (the tactics and training schedules are on a used beer mat)
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Those tactics in full...

• RichN95.

Those tactics in full...

Step two is "Cyclisme a Deux Vitesse' and the MPCC
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    mrb123 said:

orraloon said:

mrb123 said:

Most annoyingly I have wasted a stamp by submitting postal entries for the usual 3 weekly ITV Tour competitions only to realise they are only doing 2 this year.

Non ITV viewer, sans ads Eurosport person, but... I recall the continual 'competition' keerap ads on there. Do you really think you have a chance of winning prize by sending a letter vs the high cost phone stuff?
    Think they're probably doing it fairly these days after the scandals of the past.

That said, I've never heard of anyone who has even met someone who has won an ITV TDF comp...
    I definitely saw a Boardman from one of the years comps being sold on Facebook buy and sell or another forum a few years back.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    For 30 years I have yearned to watch TdF in Paris.

Ticked that off the bucket list

But unless someone wants to gift me hospitality I won't be back again.

Nowhere near as enjoyable an experience as watching on a mountain or a provincial town, watching the worlds or a spring classic or a CX race . In fact I would go so as to say I hated the Parisian experience.

Too many closed off streets, too many sections of parcorps unapproachable. . . And for the kids.... No goodies thrown from the caravan.

We had an ace 2 weeks in the Alps Voges etc. Paris. . . I preferred standing in the queues in Disney.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    alan_a said:

For 30 years I have yearned to watch TdF in Paris.

Ticked that off the bucket list

But unless someone wants to gift me hospitality I won't be back again.

Nowhere near as enjoyable an experience as watching on a mountain or a provincial town, watching the worlds or a spring classic or a CX race . In fact I would go so as to say I hated the Parisian experience.

Too many closed off streets, too many sections of parcorps unapproachable. . . And for the kids.... No goodies thrown from the caravan.

We had an ace 2 weeks in the Alps Voges etc. Paris. . . I preferred standing in the queues in Disney.

Yeah, I did it on the spur of the moment in 2018 to see Geraint's win as we were in Brittany on holiday and were due to go to Disneyland the following day anyway. I took advice to go Tuileries but it was the first year they didn't allow people to stand on that side of the Rue de Rivoli and we had to watch from behind the fence in the park. Wouldn't have missed it though and after we went for a Parisian fine dining experience (McDonalds at the Louvre) we were walking back and ended up seeing the EF team heading into a night club then turned the corner to find the Sky team bus with all the riders (and Chris Hoy) so got to see everyone up close with Bernal getting mobbed by hoardes of Columbian fans after his first Tour.