Stage 21:-Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines to Paris Champs-Elysées, 115km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Pross said:

Sagan sounds glad it’s all over for him.

I was surprised he didn't get the first-into-the-champs treatment
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Well always next year
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    I suspect Orla’s outfit is going to bring out the haters on social media and one of her robust responses.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross said:

Pedersen comes across well in interviews.

Oh man, you should hear him in Danish, ridiculously cheeky
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

GC times being taken next time they cross the line, due to rain making cobbles slippy

Hate this.
  • Pross said:

I suspect Orla’s outfit is going to bring out the haters on social media and one of her robust responses.

She’s living her best life
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2023
    Pross said:

I'm assuming the ABBA show has relocated

And McEwen with the usual antipodean refusal to wear long trousers.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Knowing Orla in real life would be a nightmare for me (I'm face blind, so somebody who changes the way they dress and style their hair every single day would lead to me blanking them endlessly), but I genuinely love the way she's given free rein to dress however the hell she wants. More power to her elbow.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

I'm assuming the ABBA show has relocated

And McEwen with the usual antipodean refusal to wear long trousers.
    Hope she doesn’t sing Waterloo, won’t go down well there.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Mohoric is such a lovely bloke, isn't he?
  • mididoctors
    Victor
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Auditioning for the Magnum pi reboot
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    That slo mo of the JV team at the finish line has Jonas looking like me trying to balance hands free at slow speed 😊
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    mrb123 said:

Bit poor of NVH not to work with him.

Somewhere in Belgium, WVA shakes his head in dismay.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95. said:

That's only his fourth win as a pro, and his first at World Tour level.

Somewhere in the Isle of Man, Cavendish shakes his head in dismay
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    ddraver said:

So after the last few days antics, are we pro Phillipsen taking a crowning victory or does he need some karma?

I hope a break away wins

I wanted either 'anyone but Philipsen', or a breakway (Campanaerts, Asgreen, Sagan, whoever) to win. But very happy with result as Meuus at least partly justified Bora not taking Bennett, while he also deserved it the way he moved up from about 6th against the barrier to just taking it at the line.
  • jimmyjams

I wonder how many of us who have watched stages 1-20 tune in for the first couple of hours of the Paris procession?
    I never do.

I can never manage to tune in to every stage (as you imply you do), and for many others I see nothing or only the last 10-20 kms, I only ever get to watch 2-3 stages completely. But in answer to your ponder, I don't think I've ever watched the procession of the last stage, going back to whenever the whole last stage was first broadcast live. It doesn't interest me, although I hope the riders enjoy and relish the attention, for they deserve it.

I also stopped watching the final ceremony after LA's first victory – by his second win, I was already convinced he was doping. And I've not watched a ceremony since (so was spared seeing Wiggins live – although I know many Brits liked his performance).
  • RichN95.
    I don't know the words of the Danish national anthem, but I imagine it's more to the 'we will crush our enemies' end of the anthem spectrum than the 'look at our beautiful countryside' end
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95. said:

I don't know the words of the Danish national anthem, but I imagine it's more to the 'we will crush our enemies' end of the anthem spectrum than the 'look at our beautiful countryside' end

Completely wrong. It's entirely "this place is really quite nice, isn't it?"

There is a royal anthem that features these memorable lines though:

King Christian stood by the lofty mast
    In mist and smoke;
    His sword was hammering so fast,
    Through Gothic helm and brain it passed;
  • jimmyjams
    I liked Pogacar's earlier bit of showmanship, but when he went ahead on the last lap, I heard he was trying to a 'Geraint for Cav' for Philipsen, with whom he is apparently befriended.
    I don't really like these cross-team/same nationality friendships, the are supposedly to be professionals working for their team. And I now wonder about Pogacar's taste (yes I know I'm being unfair on Philipsen).
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2023
    jimmyjams said:

I liked Pogacar's earlier bit of showmanship, but when he went ahead on the last lap, I heard he was trying to a 'Geraint for Cav' for Philipsen, with whom he is apparently befriended.
    I don't really like these cross-team/same nationality friendships, the are supposedly to be professionals working for their team. And I now wonder about Pogacar's taste (yes I know I'm being unfair on Philipsen).

Philipsen used to ride for UAE. Apparently, they are very good friends.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Most annoyingly I have wasted a stamp by submitting postal entries for the usual 3 weekly ITV Tour competitions only to realise they are only doing 2 this year.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I haven't done that yet. Usually, I wait and see what the best week is. No Stand out this time though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    mrb123 said:

Most annoyingly I have wasted a stamp by submitting postal entries for the usual 3 weekly ITV Tour competitions only to realise they are only doing 2 this year.

Non ITV viewer, sans ads Eurosport person, but... I recall the continual 'competition' keerap ads on there. Do you really think you have a chance of winning prize by sending a letter vs the high cost phone stuff?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    orraloon said:

mrb123 said:

Non ITV viewer, sans ads Eurosport person, but... I recall the continual 'competition' keerap ads on there. Do you really think you have a chance of winning prize by sending a letter vs the high cost phone stuff?
    Think they're probably doing it fairly these days after the scandals of the past.

That said, I've never heard of anyone who has even met someone who has won an ITV TDF comp...
  • RichN95.
    The pre-race odds for GC and how they did

11/10 Vingegaard - 1st
    5/4 Pogacar - 2nd
    12/1 Hindley - 7th
    25/1 Skjelmose - 29th
    25/1 Mas - DNF
    30/1 O'Connor - 17th
    33/1 Gaudu - 9th
    40/1 A. Yates - 3rd
    40/1 S.Yates - 4th,
    40/1 Carapaz - DNF
    45/1 Pidcock - 13th
    60.1 Bernal - 36th

Longer odds from the top 10 - Rodriguez, Bilbao, Gall, Martin
  • RichN95.
    The Zubeldia award (orange jersey) for the most invisible top ten finish has been awarded to Guillaume Martin
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    mrb123 said:

orraloon said:

mrb123 said:

Think they're probably doing it fairly these days after the scandals of the past.

That said, I've never heard of anyone who has even met someone who has won an ITV TDF comp...
    I know someone who won a focus izalco with dura ace from a similar competition (maybe a british cycling one)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
    Madiot has his book of tactics and training schedules written on the other side.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.