TDF 2023: Stage 9:- Saint-Léonard-de-Noblat to Puy de Dôme, 184km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Bit of a weird GC day, group got smashed with no real attacking and I thought the survivors were going to just ride to the line.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    The view back down the mountain at the finish
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Hatch said attack-let. Noone is safe
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    Madiot’s decision not to take Demare confirmed as stupid.

The Puy de Dome stage turned out to be a bit…….ordinary.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Weird no crowds
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Woods is 36 .... Surprised.me
  • mididoctors

All happened so quick .

• mididoctors
    The break lost 8 mins on the climb
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

And Kuss faded badly at the end, or he'd have pushed it further
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    Well not quite half way ...
  • mididoctors

I was surprised woods won tbh ...

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Pross said:

Looks beautiful there, wish I was on holiday in the area.

It really nice. We spent 3-4 days there on the way down to that bit of the coast below Perpignan.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448

He was the stand out name when I saw who was in the break. He's one of the best in the world on steep climbs like that, so as long as he was in touching distance I thought he was the favourite.

I didn't think he was in touching distance with 5 kms to go though.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Have to say, Pog was pulling all sorts of faces there. He went deep for that.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

I'd like to see a harder day finishing up there - one of those with lots of cat 2,3,4s - it's lumpy enough.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Via inrng, this is a brilliant podium. More of this sort of thing on finishes near a good view, please.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Basically a poor man's Great Dun Fell
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Pross said:

How does Carlton think the camera bikes can get out of the way on these roads?

"Practically motor pacing him to the finish" on a 14% gradient was peak Carlton
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810

Via inrng, this is a brilliant podium. More of this sort of thing on finishes near a good view, please.

Idea pinched from the Saudi Tour but I do like it tbf
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

pangolin said:

That view of the finish is comical, don't get that often.

It's a volcano, so it's conical
    I'll be magmanimous and say that's a great post.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414

Pross said:

How does Carlton think the camera bikes can get out of the way on these roads?

"Practically motor pacing him to the finish" on a 14% gradient was peak Carlton
    Especially after Phil Gilbert said it was a tailwind finish
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

He was the stand out name when I saw who was in the break. He's one of the best in the world on steep climbs like that, so as long as he was in touching distance I thought he was the favourite.

I didn't think he was in touching distance with 5 kms to go though.
    Yeah I knew he could climb he just seemed to far back . Jorgensen had the right idea

• mididoctors

Have to say, Pog was pulling all sorts of faces there. He went deep for that.

Yeah he was glasses off ..unusual for him which may account for the perception .. but he was pulling faces I had never seen before
  • mididoctors
    mrb123 said:

Basically a poor man's Great Dun Fell
    Better weather ☁️🌡️ at great dun fell
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ( I was watching live but couldn't post and watch)

Well the bit before was dull but kudos to Prudhomme and all his work because I thought that climb was brilliant. The will he/won't he of the break and then an epic yard by yard, inch by inch, second by second GC race as the gap slowly but inexorably opened up.

(They need to try and stop it turning into GT Fleche Walloon now...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    The race inside the break wasn't bad tbh .... Quite involved stuff after Jorgensen got away
  • mididoctors
    Was campernerts paid ?