TDF 2023: Stage 1:– Bilbao to Bilbao, 182km ***Spoilers***

12346»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    False flat bit over the top
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    False flat bit over the top
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Carapaz abandons.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    Fractured shoulder blade for Mas.
  • mididoctors
    gweeds said:

Carapaz abandons.

Did well to finish .,.. he is a unlucky rider
  • andyp
    andyp said:

andyp said:

Last time the tour came to the Basque country ETA burnt all the C4 press cars

Can you remember, without looking it up, who won the opening road stage?
    Virenque or was that the next day

I was way wrong

Virenque didn't win the sole Pyreneen stage, but he did take yellow. The stage winner that day would really test @RichN95. spelling skills.

I was discounting the prologue (sorry Rich) and the first road stage was won by Dominique Arnould, who just held off the reduced peloton.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJOgCyvCPWU&ab_channel=Magicr%C3%A8meTV

Different era - all the policemen lining the road in the last few hundred metres.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I liked this from Jayco. Warning: might not work as that idiot Musk is currently trying to strangle Twitter

Twitter: @RichN95
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

Carapaz rolls in 15 minutes down

At least he had an excuse.
    I wonder what Benoit Cosnefroy's was for losing almost as much on a course that would normally suit his skill set.
    Cosnefroy had a defect about 120 km out from the finish, something to do wth the bottom bracket. He already was off the back of the peloton before he stopped to wait for team car and seemed a bit annoyed. He got a replacement bike, and although he only needed about 4 km to get back, maybe as consequence he became discouraged?
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    Traeen fractured his elbow when he crashed with about 80 km to go and is now a possible DNS for tomorrow.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2023
    A bit of a diversion. ITV are about to show the film 'Knight and Day'. I've never seen it. Apparently it's not good.

So why mention it? Back in 2010 the stars - Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz - visited the Tour to promote it (and saw an epically boring stage)

• mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

A bit of a diversion. ITV are about to show the film 'Knight and Day'. I've never seen it. Apparently it's not good.

So why mention it? Back in 2010 the stars - Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz - visited the Tour to promote it (and saw an epically boring stage)

That's a factoid coincidence. ......
  • mididoctors
    This stage today was pretty good you know .
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Pross said:

Has there been a sibling 1-2 before? Can’t remember if the Schlecks did it.

Let's be honest, they'd only ever manage a 2-3...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

Let's be honest, they'd only ever manage a 2-3...
    Ironically even the chances of that happening went downhill quickly
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    edited July 2023

MvdP has the material edge over WvA on flat one dayers but WvA is a *much* better climber
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Some talk on Belgian cycling twitter that Vingegaard should have paced back to the Yatess to allow WvA to try and win... which is knew kf the dumbest things I've ever heard.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2023

Some talk on Belgian cycling twitter that Vingegaard should have paced back to the Yatess to allow WvA to try and win... which is knew kf the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Van Aert couldn’t even be bothered to sprint for third and the bonus seconds
  • rick_chasey

Who’s saying that?
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

Van Aert couldn’t even be bothered to sprint for third and the bonus seconds
    Said he didn’t have the legs.

Tbh he was 10kg heavier than everyone else in the group
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

Who’s saying that?
    Some Belgian commentator, I can't remember now. Might check later.
  • RichN95.

Who’s saying that?
    Some Belgian commentator, I can't remember now. Might check later.
    Michel Wuyts for one. There were apparently others. I imagine they will have doubled down today.

https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/wuyts-teleurgesteld-in-vingegaard-van-aert-is-een-teamplayer-de-kopman-blijkbaar-veel-minder/
  • rick_chasey
    Ach Wuyts. I do miss him on the call but this is also why he’s not on the call anymore.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

MvdP has the material edge over WvA on flat one dayers but WvA is a *much* better climber
    While that is definitely true, it didn't look like he was trying today.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Pross said:

Great result and Pog takes round 1 v Vingegaard.

Schlecks on Galibier (although they were some minutes apart from each other)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154

Pross said:

Did they cross the line first and second or was there a DQ? TV had said it was last done by the Pelissiers.
  • andyp
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Did they cross the line first and second or was there a DQ? TV had said it was last done by the Pelissiers.
    Nope, they crossed the line first and second. Contador was later disqualified, but he was outside the top ten on the stage.
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

Pross said:

I think people, such as me, forgot that stage has they didn't ride together and instead remember the 2009 stage where they were 1st and 3rd