New bike sluggish to ride

2»

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

First contact so you think 18 mph average is moderately slow ? Really ? That’s racing speed it’s the low end of racing speed but it’s still racing speed. I’m saying on my Giant and Felt I was getting at least 15.2 mph average for the same power it’s taking to get 14 mph average in this BMC donkey. The fact your ftp is only half a watt higher than mine says it all.

18mph racing speed. I don’t think so, it’s getting lapped many times speed.
  • Where did 18 mph come from, can't see that figure in any earlier posts? I thought we were talking about 13-14mph?

OP, do you actually have the power meter fitted? If not, your mention of power numbers and w/kg makes no sense.

OP - even with a bearing or BB issues, that would not necessarily equate to slower pace. I mentioned the BB issue I had. To be specific I had the incorrect BB fitted to a frame (genuine mistake by a mechanic). As a result the bearing got squeezed and the BB deformed, eventually leading to the whole BB seizing up. During that period I had maybe 5-6 weeks where the cranks were stiff and did not turn one revolution when you tried to spin them by hand, but I could still pedal the bike. During that time, my power (recorded with a Quarq) and my average speeds did not change. Obviously this is only one example but it could suggest, as has been pointed out that it is the rider and not the bike.

It still could be a mechanical issue though and until you get the BB spinning more freely it is hard to know.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    webboo said:

First contact so you think 18 mph average is moderately slow ? Really ? That’s racing speed it’s the low end of racing speed but it’s still racing speed. I’m saying on my Giant and Felt I was getting at least 15.2 mph average for the same power it’s taking to get 14 mph average in this BMC donkey. The fact your ftp is only half a watt higher than mine says it all.

It's fairly brisk for a 50 year old on a solo weekend ride.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

webboo said:

It's fairly brisk for a 50 year old on a solo weekend ride.
    Hey! You said you were out!?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Anyhoo, as pointed out by Tasman a while back. Over the past three years you’ve posted discussions relating to 3 different bikes,

1: Bike hard to pedal
    2: Bike very hard to pedal.
    3: New bike sluggish to ride.

Sounds like the latest sluggish bike is the best of the bunch so I’d stick with that 👍

It’s deffo you 😃
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי