ride cafes wfh laze bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699
    Moaning,

Artic conditions continuing

WFW today, hopefully visit the chippy at dinner
    A few beers and more TT tonight, it’s warmer in the middle of the Irish Sea than it is here
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Gentle run with hounds to clear out last nights cider.

Work stuff then local TT and pub
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    ye gods and little fishes, it's freezing, my fingers were going numb

hot shower and warming up before cafe stroll
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Oh look, sunshine and blue skies, v little wind 😎

Either gravel or tarmac today, depends when roofers get here to deliver stuff.

What is this constant meejah preoccupation with Philip S? Meejah luvvies having a cluckfest at one of their own?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    edited June 2023
    Are you going to ride around the boat deck* CC today?
    Could you see the bikes going up the hill/down the hill from where you are?
    How big is this frikkin fridge?
    Are you on board a boat in the Irish sea just to fix a fridge or is this a regular feature?
    Can you see the Solway coast or Eyrlan'?

*I'm trying to work it out... are you on a Ferry?

So many questions @Charlie_Croker.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Morning Orang-outangs

Bit cloudy and meh but mild at least and no wind.
    DW's on a go slow. It's been a long week for them.
    Today TDWT's sports day. Always a giggle.
    Last year was at least 2 kickings off. I'm really not sure why they do it.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Morning
    Finally a bit of sun round here but as the wind is from the NE it’s still cold. Not sure what they ahead holds. I might climb and do some weights.
    Has the racing season ended as there has been no races for days on the telly.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    Morning gloom and chill continues. Work avoidance followed by Thai restaurant, pub and stand up comedy later.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    webboo said:

Morning
    Finally a bit of sun round here but as the wind is from the NE it’s still cold. Not sure what they ahead holds. I might climb and do some weights.
    Has the racing season ended as there has been no races for days on the telly.

I like this for quick reference which doesn't list the small sh*t races which are only for last resort/hip/hangover recovery boredom breakers:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/calendar/uci/year-calendar
  • pinno
    Yay! The sun has popped out.
  • pinno
    Had a good fight with Beans first thing. The bu66er caught me on the side of my nail with his claw.
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    pinno said:

Had a good fight with Beans first thing.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,558
    pinno said:

Had a good fight with Beans first thing. The bu66er caught me on the side of my nail with his claw.

Beans sounds like a feline version of Cato from The Pink Panther. That said, if you're going to keep a pet that tries to kill you, do it properly and get a Lion or a Tiger.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Had a little lie in to catch up in shut eye. Now caving and getting sorted for tomorrow's trip to Scouserpool.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • beansnikpoh
    Hanging round the house working. Will nip out for a ride at some stage I hope.

The boy is 18 today. I bought him a zippo lighter and some ciggies. I think that's what I got for my 18th.
  • seanoconn

The boy is 18 today. I bought him a zippo lighter and some ciggies. I think that's what I got for my 18th.

You didn’t?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    seanoconn said:

You didn’t?
    People get weird things for birthdays. For example: your correspondent received a Remington 11-48 shotgun for his 13th anniversary of existence.

To save you the JFGI, that was a 5 cartridge semi-automatic 12 gauge. Just the thing for a teenager, no?

Oh, and it had a cut-down stock for comfort and a barrel shortened by about an inch and a half to promote a wider shot pattern.

So yeah, I was given a sawn-off shotgun - literally - for my 13th birthday.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    Holy fcuk ^.

We had guns in Kenya and learnt to reload them and shoot them. But that was just for security and when the day came, couldn't find the ammo.
    We survived by dogs an air rifle, mace and then legging it.

• pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Beans sounds like a feline version of Cato from The Pink Panther. That said, if you're going to keep a pet that tries to kill you, do it properly and get a Lion or a Tiger.
    It ended cordially; I just picked him up and gave him a big smacker on his forehead.
    That'll teach him.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,028
    The sun is out today so I might attempt a ride after work, depends if the boss has plans though.
    Got some nice sea bass from the mobile fish man in the village earlier so will have that for dinner, followed by a dip in the hot tub.
    Hopefully a nice weekend too!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

You didn’t?
    People get weird things for birthdays. For example: your correspondent received a Remington 11-48 shotgun for his 13th anniversary of existence.

To save you the JFGI, that was a 5 cartridge semi-automatic 12 gauge. Just the thing for a teenager, no?

Oh, and it had a cut-down stock for comfort and a barrel shortened by about an inch and a half to promote a wider shot pattern.

You lucky bugger.
  • beansnikpoh
    seanoconn said:

You didn’t?
    Yep. He smokes like a chimney, it wasn't an ad hoc encouragement to take it up. He's asked for driving lessons too, but you can't wrap them up.
  • Stevo_666

seanoconn said:

You didn’t?

I was quite happy with a catapult and an air pistol. Obviously I was too easily pleased.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

It ended cordially; I just picked him up and gave him a big smacker on his forehead.
    That'll teach him.
    Funny you mention that as we just had a stand off with one of the hounds who got hold of an old chicken bone that the foxes must have dropped in the garden. Stubborn git wouldn't let go but we couldn't risk having him eat it due to the splintering/choking hazard, so we picked him up and held onto him until he got fed up and dropped it.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

You didn’t?

You lucky censored .
    One of my father's best mates was amongst other things, the captain of the Australian Olympic Shooting team in the 70s, and a licensed gun dealer back then. I learned to shoot various things, rifles, air pistols, skeet... he had a matched pair of Holland & Holland shotguns, plus a Perazzi custom made and exquisitely engraved. Used to fit a .410 sleeve in it to make it easier for a kid like me to learn to shoot without getting knocked over. I ended up a fairly decent shot after a while.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Afternoon folks,
    Busy day, or it should be, but as I'm wfh I'm pacing myself carefully. Just paid the remainder of our holiday accomodation. Hopefully the weather in Italy will improve by the time we get there.
    I can't remember what I got for my 18th, other than drunk that is. Maybe that's why. Mind you I'd been drinking in pubs for more than 3 years by then.
    Happy birthday to the lad B³.
    Should probably get on and do some work now.
  • pinno

Afternoon folks,
    Busy day, or it should be, but as I'm wfh I'm pacing myself carefully. Just paid the remainder of our holiday accomodation. Hopefully the weather in Italy will improve by the time we get there.
    I can't remember what I got for my 18th, other than drunk that is. Maybe that's why. Mind you I'd been drinking in pubs for more than 3 years by then.
    Happy birthday to the lad B³.
    Should probably get on and do some work now.

You lcuky fcuker. I looked 16 when I was 21 and still got asked for ID then.
    But I found a way around it: I would play pool for cash or pints and the adults didn't mind buying me one and when I occasionally lost (about 3 pints in), I would give them the money to buy one.
    Then it was time to wobble home (literally). I got brought back by the police on 3 occasions. One new year, they found me inebriated on a park bench, stuck me in a cell (with the door wide open) and then first thing in the morning, I was given a full breakfast in the cop shop canteen and taken upstairs to play snooker 'cos they heard about me. They brought me home after.
    (Mum thought I was staying at friends so there was no call for alarm until the cops turned up with me in the back. My god I got a long lecture. My head really hurt).
  • veronese68
    I seem to remmeber wobbling into the kerb a few times in the early days of my drunk wobbling, I wonder if there was some sort of self preservation that told me it was safer to wobble that way than into a car? Or more likely I was just lucky no cars were passing when I wobbled the other way.
    I never got told off when staggering in drunk, but I did a couple of times the morning after. I think they knew it would hurt more then.
  • pinno
    edited June 2023

I seem to remmeber wobbling into the kerb a few times in the early days of my drunk wobbling, I wonder if there was some sort of self preservation that told me it was safer to wobble that way than into a car? Or more likely I was just lucky no cars were passing when I wobbled the other way.
    I never got told off when staggering in drunk, but I did a couple of times the morning after. I think they knew it would hurt more then.

I have (almost) always managed to wobble home. Even at Uni. However, if I was on shank's pony, forget it.
    Must be that gyroscopic effect.
  • veronese68
    The funniest one I can recall is going from a pub on Wimbeldon Common to a party in New Malden I was racing my friends in a cab so took the underpass and then a path across a golf course to get ahead. My shoelace got stuck in the chain after hitting a bump, chain came off front and back jamming up the back wheel in the process. I came to a stop with my right foot firmly attached to the bike and for some reason forgot I had a left foot and had a clipless moment in spite of not having cleats. Got untangled and still beat them to the party.