Giro 2023: Stage 21: Roma – Roma 126 km, The Grand Parade. ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
Stage 21: Roma – Roma 126 km

Start Time 2-25pmBST.

Forgive me if I can't raise much enthusiasm for the now usual champagne and photos stage.

Profile:

Map:

Final Kms.

Roma

Rome is the capital city of Italy. It is also the capital of the Lazio region, the centre of the Metropolitan City of Rome, and a special comune named Comune di Roma Capitale. With 2,860,009 residents Rome is the country's most populated comune and the third most populous city in the European Union. The Metropolitan City of Rome, with a population of 4,355,725 residents, is the most populous metropolitan city in Italy.
Rome is located in the central-western portion of the Italian Peninsula, within Lazio (Latium), along the shores of the Tiber. Vatican City (the smallest country in the world)[5] is an independent country inside the city boundaries of Rome, the only existing example of a country within a city. Rome is often referred to as the City of Seven Hills due to its geographic location, and also as the "Eternal City". Rome is generally considered to be the "cradle of Western civilization and Christian culture", and the centre of the Catholic Church.

Food

Taste the traditional Roman cuisine, recipes that reflect its history, made with simple and often humble ingredients. mongst genuine and traditional Roman dishes, belongs to the so-called fifth quarter, the offal and less valuable parts of beef and lamb/mutton – never selected for the tables of the wealthiest classes. We’re talking about tripe, kidneys, heart, livers, spleen, sweetbreads and backs (spinal cord), brains, tongue and tail, or “coratella” – liver, lungs, and heart cooked together.

Rigatoni with pajata (pasta with intestines of unweaned calves) or kidneys,

”coratella” with artichokes or onions, Roman-style tripe, “coda alla vaccinara” (oxtail), “stufatino alla romana” (stew), and “saltimbocca” are just some of the delicacies of the Capitoline cuisine.

A glass of Frascati wine

The true wine of Rome, dry and fresh and with a fruity scent, came from elsewhere, as we are reminded by yet another popular saying: “Vale più un bicchiere de Frascati che tutta l’acqua der Tevere”, a glass of Frascati wine is worth more than all the water of the Tiber.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    It will hopefully give some great finish line photos with the Colosseum in the background.

My memory is playing up and I’m trying to remember that race that used to finish there about a decade ago. There was an edition where a lone French rider held off the chase and I think the rider that won the sprint behind may have celebrated thinking they’d won.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    You thinking about the Roma Maxima? Used to be a weekend double with Strade Bianche
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Pross

You thinking about the Roma Maxima? Used to be a weekend double with Strade Bianche

Yes, thanks. It was 2013 the year Kadri won and Pozatto came second thinking he’d won I was thinking of. There was a great photo with the Colosseum in the background.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Pross said:

It will hopefully give some great finish line photos with the Colosseum in the background.

My memory is playing up and I’m trying to remember that race that used to finish there about a decade ago. There was an edition where a lone French rider held off the chase and I think the rider that won the sprint behind may have celebrated thinking they’d won.

I remember menchov crashing in a TT round the Colosseum
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Roglic no pink shorts ....approve
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Not dwadling about too much ... everyone wants this giro done
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Can the cycling media please stop trying to make this some sort of redemption story for Roglic with him unburdening the pain of losing the 2019 Tour. In reality Roglic just shrugged his shoulders and just got on with winning the next race. He has never been some sort of traumatised victim.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    He is a hard read emotionally
  • blazing_saddles
    Those two small climbs around 4km could make it difficult for some of the sprinters
  • mididoctors
    Healy
  • mididoctors
    No cort
  • mididoctors
    Please no one crash on GC
  • mididoctors
    The 3 k is after that fast drop .... GC teams to ride the 5k drag hard ?
  • Pross
    Gee attacking with one other in a final bid for another second place.
  • Pross
    Inside 3km
  • Pross
    Is Geraint looking to help lead out Cav?
  • blazing_saddles
    Pross said:

Is Geraint looking to help lead out Cav?

Yes
  • mididoctors
    LLS guiding cav well
  • Pross
    Did a good job but Cav slipping back a bit. On Milan’s wheel though
  • Pross
    Cav!!!
  • blazing_saddles
    Cav!!
  • Pross
    One last crash behind
  • blazing_saddles
    By miles too
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mididoctors
    YES
  • Pross
    My pick for PTP eating cobbles but everyone seems OK.

Pretty sure Thomas had Ineos working for Cav towards the end as well as assisting LLS with the lead out
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Buckle up for the interview :D
  • mididoctors
    AWESOME
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Wow! Bloody brilliant. Never thought he would do it but so, so pleased for Cav. Just great.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Whooo
    Cav needs to thank me for missing my PTP pick today!